1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. fire

fire Order Member

GIFF THREADMARKS PLZ

2. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

WE HAZ, SOEM AUTHORS JUST TOO LAZY TO TICK THEM ON

Plus, they're called Bookmarks here.

3. fire

fire Order Member

In all seriousness, I'm aware of what we have in place in WBA. They're excellent, it's just unfortunate that, as you say, authors don't use them (including me, I'm lazy).

I'm thinking more of ordinary forum threads, where threadmarks are incredibly useful for a range of things, e.g.

(1) Keeping track of fics recommended in rec threads.

(2) Keeping track of ideas and snippets in plot bunny threads.

(3) Highlighting significant posts in longer discussion threads.

My 2 cents. Widespread and efficient use of threadmarks is what makes an otherwise unworkably large and disparate forum like Spacebattles into the browsable and relatively user-friendly one it is today.

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It's looking like the staff is leaning toward Xenforo if we must move. I'm collecting requirements and migration steps into a Google Doc that I'll publish if we decide to go through with it.

enembee Your help with styling would be appreciated. I can pay you in user titles. :p Jon

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While I can see that there are definite advantages to moving off vbulletin, would it be possible to have some sort of larger discussion thread about it when it comes to it?

I do like the history associated with our current... theme, though I suspect support for it will not be widespread amongst our newer users.

7. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I bet I'm in the minority but I would love a new layout. I would like something a little cleaner and more modern.

I have made hundreds of forum layouts throughout the years, so I know what I like and this has made me incredibly picky. I would suggest making a new modern layout but keeping something similar to this for people to switch to if they wish.

8. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I'll probably end up using a userstyle to change up things anyways if we move to XenForo since it's way easier to customize than vB.

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm all for a new thread layout as long as Anakin stays. Long live Anakin the official DLP mascot.

10. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's absurd.

Syed is the DLP mascot.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I would be willing to compromise and have both Anakin and Syed as DLP mascots.

12. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Seratin would like larger editor boxes. For example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Seratin

High Score:
    It's part of an overall proposal I'm putting together for Uservoice but yes, those boxes would be the simplest part of the idea to implement.

14. Yggur

Yggur The Chthonic Charon DLP Supporter

Maybe something around our analytics of user behaviour? It's not necessarily something that would be visible to anyone but Raven, but it would potentially help Raven identify the best long-term strategic move?

Not sure if this is in place already, but if we could track where & how users are accessing the site, it would help present feed towards a set of options.
    This would then in turn feed into the short-, medium-, and long-term plans (if any).

Even though it's a vBulletin forum, which does have a static structure, it might help improve on navigation/design/etc, on understanding how a user of DLP moves around the site.

Case in point from above:
    This would also help future key decision-making about any migrations or cut-overs, as this chart clearly shows a move away from desktop-based browsing, with a stable average mobile user-base.

This may have been a little long-winded - I've had to take over closing a DR design, implementation, & test project, and I've been writing SoWs for the last few weeks.

Note: yes, it has been a bloody long time since I've posted. Suffice to say: a closed mouth gathers no foot.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is just a small thing, but can the multiquote, message, and thumb buttons be a little bigger and more spaced out? On mobile I try to press them and my fat thumbs always hit the wrong one. Gotta zoom to like 400% everytime to get it right.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I can quickly and easily make new buttons for posts as an extra skin for mobile devices.

Something like:

[​IMG]

17. Lord Ravenclaw

It ain't a cheerocracy, but I'm not opposed to having a discussion. I'll make a new thread for that and leave this thread to other ideas that aren't necessarily specific to any forum tech.

While I don't disagree with the above, I don't think you can say there's necessarily been a huge shift from desktop browsing. There's been a rise in mobile (some mobile only, some mixed: phone in bed + laptop/desktop). I'd guess a significant chunk of lost desktop eyeballs are actually due to uBlock+Ghostery. Adblocks block Google Analytics out of the box, which is where that chart is derived from.

Google Analytics is the tool I use to derive insight into user behavior. It sessionizes user visits and figured out the paths they take through the site. That said, feedback is also helpful direct from users.

18. Lord Ravenclaw

19. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

Would it be possible to add some new reading functions for users like allowing us to change the size of fonts in topics, styles ect(like reading mode in firefox). And I don't mean for whole forum but only for posts we are reading at the moment.(if we do have this already I am blind and plz someone show me where)

What more I think the biggest issue should be how to make the new system that will help ppl exchange ideas and points of view rather then explain the same shit 20 times. Cuz when I see the arguments about the same thing on page 1,4,20,43 ect I want to take my keyboard and hit someone, read the whole topic or get the fuck out off it. Can we make a system that would give more power to ppl that are active in a discussion so they can moderate it (without mods or god forbid admins) more and stop pages after pages of explaining something that was done on page 3.

Next better remainder about donation would be good too, I didn't donate in years now cuz I learn to ignore most of standard banners on webpages(or add some boobs and dicks to it)

Last not a system change rather user change. More Banning would be good to, there are some many ppl that don't fact check anything and yet they yell how they are right that I want to cry. Can we have some more ban hammers for ppl that when ask about theirs source of info will ignore that request, cuz talking from ones ass should never be a good thing.

PS. And once more sorry for my poor English

20. Seratin

High Score:
    I agree 100%. More banning is necessary.