1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think banning is a bit harsh, and inevitably useless as a person who really wants to talk can just make another account. Maybe a temp-ban system, silence, or even shadow-ban would be more effective.

2. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

It can even be a temp topic ban, just to force ppl to read whole thread and do some fact checking. We have to do something about wasting our time and doing work for lazy ppl.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't even really know what you're talking about, but I'm absolutely against the concept of shadow banning.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I think the moderators have things in hand. Nothing chaps my dick more than to see some twat come in and mini-mod. We already have one Mini :3 Temp Bans, long bans and other shit has been around for ever. I honestly like DLPs moderating method because ultimately you don't need a whole fucking review panel to determine whose at fault. You get your warning, you get your temp, you keep fucking up you get the permanent hammer.

Additionally, the repetitiveness is probably born from the fact that threads get long and some of the longest threads here are the oldest threads here and have 10 years worth of comments in them (PYP, Second Amendment, TOMD, etc) Nevermind the story threads that get revived every couple of years because one of our newer members discovers it and wants to add something.

So to address what you said, maybe more clear post dates. I like the necro warning we have now for old threads and would like that to continue. Post Dates may help with identifying old comments, or thread limits, if a thread gets to X number of post either the thread auto locks or you have to start a new one and it better be with an interesting standpoint.

Another thing I'd like to see the library refreshed. I'd like Other Fandom more integrated and not the ugly cousin sitting at the end of the table. I'd like to see the sub forums integrated better and not added as an after thought. I'm grateful for the mods and their effort, but with a new forum software, some finesse would be a beautiful thing now that everyone sees how things works and what should stay and what could do with less focus.

I'd also like people's to actually fucking use Patronus Charm.
    Lord Ravenclaw and further Scryer integration would be awesome. Maybe a way to show most clicked threads or stories or searched topics in one of those side panel news feeds. I like that we have a banner for Scryer new. I think better mobile integration and a refresh of the library will do a lot of good.

5. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think the current ban system works fine; don't break the forum laws, otherwise public shaming.

I agree that the fandoms in WBA could be expanded. Dresden got added when that was popular, and it stimulated more writing. Maybe a LotR or ASoI&F one?

Some fandoms ought to remain ugly step children, though. In fact, rename that subforum 'Ugly Step Children'.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

There's automated systems in place that check a bunch of variables. If you're willing to shell out for VPNs/proxies and change them frequently, you might be able to skirt it (it checks some other things as well), but yeah. Definitely not simple.

Anyway, banning/not banning isn't on the table for discussion. If you see something objectionable, as always use the report button at the bottom of the post: [​IMG]

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I really like Xenforo, its incredibly handy specially the sleekier and easier to access version SV use. It's also very mobile friend imo. But SV, SB and QQ mods are a fucking joke, SV and their masturbatory system at fake court/roleplaying as a lawyer is a fucking joke and a waste of everyone's time. DLP moderation is direct and to the point. We got mods, some are assholes, you're being annoying and stupid and without a reason, you get kicked, f very much. There.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

You all don't get to see it, but recently we've added a system to syndicate post reports to our notification boxes, and we can log what actions we've taken. Keeps us all on the same page.

But yeah, there's a reason why DLP is as small as it is. It's because we're rather particular about post content and not obsessed with activity over quality of activity. Talk shit, get hit.

9. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

What about this

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I did see it. I'm not going to respond to every idea even if I decide to go ahead with them, so there is no need to re-quote and poll for status.

11. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Raven posted an analytic earlier in the thread showing desktop usage and mobile usage starting to overlap, and someone mentioned that more and more the world is moving to mobile platforms. So, I was wondering if it's at all possible or if it has ever been considered to create an itunes/google app for the forum. I tend to visit the site using my phone's web browser, but it can be a hassle doing so sometimes. I've tried using the iPhone skin, but I'm not a fan of it. I think it would be a lot more convenient to have an app I can open which takes me right to he site. I hope this isn't as shitty an idea as it sounds in my head or if it's even possible :p

12. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A lot of those issues would be fixed by the transition to Xenforo.

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is an app. Xenforo is the better option. If you need to, bookmark the site once the changeover is complete.

14. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There is an app, however, the xenforo mobile site will be better. I'm not familiar with iPhone browsers but Chrome has an ability to pin sites to your desktop and it runs in a slimmed down chrome browser that facilitates site navigation. It's based off the app called Chromer and it fully integrated into Chrome code base from what I can tell. I pin DLP to the desktop and it loads the site without me having to type anything and keeps me signed in based off of browser cookie data. Just a thought

15. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

16. Researcher

Researcher Second Year

High Score:
    Time as variable in thread rating system

Would it be possible to introduce time as an variable in the thread rating (i.e. story rating) system?

The library section contains story ratings from many years back. The problem is that the community's standard have increased a lot over the years, and many stories that got their ratings some years ago doesn't deserve their rating according today's standard.

I'm aware that such a change would make the system more complex, but it would make the story ratings more correct in the user's perspective. The standard will only rise, not fall.

Maybe time is already an variable in the system, but I haven't found any indication of that.

This would make the story ratings to adjust automatically, without the need to people to (re)read all the stories again.

17. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

Any chance the Trash Bin could be made visible (even just as a locked archive or in users' post histories)? The stories may not be worthy, but some of the criticism is.

18. Severus

Severus Sent Back to India

High Score:
    Move all the 3 star rated stories in the Library to Almost recommended.

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You want your local library to dump everything that isn't a bestseller too?

20. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Allow new users to create threads only after a month.