1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Sometimes they're good for a laugh.

2. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I think that Naruto was building such a team in Swapping the Cage but it wasn't a genin team and I think he stopped updating before it went anywhere.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7832146/1/Swapping-The-Cage

3. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Are there any good fictions with Sakura in the main role? I read Kill your Heroes (after hearing a lot about it) and that fiction is just nauseating in regards to the bashing it generously doles out to Sasuke and the Uchiha; nevermind all the other issues it has with horrendous pacing, chaotic and unimaginative battle sequences, passable grammar and Godawful characterizations. Heck, almost all the feats of Sasuke, along with his mindset, rationality and intelligence, are handed over to Sakura in the first twenty or so chapters alone. That fight in the forest of death irked me so much.

Looks like the only way Sakura can be relevant and decent is for Sasuke to be thrown into a bash-gutter, along with Naruto, and call it a day. Can anyone help me out here? Because, as it stands, if this is the 'best' Sakura fandom has to offer, then I can only imagine what the 'worst' looks like.

I would also like to read some good Sasuke and Itachi centric fictions as well where two brothers work together.

Kakashi's reserves have remained almost the same throughout Shippuden. His control over his chakra-consuming eye simply improved. Furthermore, you are only half-right about Rasengan: it is the 'pinnacle' of Spatial manipulation, which is why FRS is a complete tech. Rasengan, for all intents and purposes, is an incomplete tech.

However, your argument on potency is correct. Whilst Naruto's chakra may not be potent in itself, its mingling with Kurama's since birth gets the job done. Sakura, on the other hand, has pitiful chakra reserves on her own. Viz translation made that damn clear during the tree climbing session, that her 'good' chakra control was the courtesy of laughably puny chakra reserves, which begs the question that she has little to no talent in the control department even. So, long story short, her learning Rasengan is hilariously bad fanon logic. She cannot do it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  4. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Only decent not short fic with Sakura as main character that I recall is Time Braid.

5. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Seems to me we have different definitions of decent.

6. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

Loyalty by True Radical Dreamer is pretty enjoyable. It basically has Sakura being forced into becoming a spy for Sound. Parts of it I'm pretty 'meh' about but I've enjoyed it overall.

Kill Your Heroes by Evil Is A Relative Term is also enjoyable, at least in the beginning. It basically has Sakura forced to fight some ninja whilst guarding the bridge in Wave by herself and consequently developing in different ways.

7. fire

fire Order Member

In Fire Forged
    A really cool AU, with great team 7 interactions.

Dead Garden
    Sakura as the Kyuubi Jinchurikki

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Here is a post I made on a different site some time ago:

Loyalty by A True Radical Dreamer
    While still in the Academy, she gets forcefully recruited to be a spy for Kabuto and Orochimaru. Really fascinating story, although the last two chapters have a bit of a filler-ish quality to them. Especially the tension with Kakashi is interesting (I don't mean romantic or sexual).

Effloresco Secundus by romantiscue

Yeah, following the SI reincarnated into the Naruto verse after the debut and success of Dreaming of Sunshine, now we have a story were a character from another fandom is reincarnated into the Naruto world. It's really interesting to see Hermione deal with this situation and how her relationship with her team plays out. Again, Kakashi is the highlight here, since he suspects something is off with Sakura, and to be fair, it is, and I love seeing him like this.

Trial by Ninja by jacobk

By the same author who did Applied Cultural Anthropology. It's completed and has a sequel, pretty good read.

In Fire Forged by OmgImPwned

Pretty cool concept and worldbuilding. I love Sasuke (who is a girl) and Naruto in this. The whole Team 7 is pretty awesome. The focus is, of course, on Sakura and it is nice to see such a version of her. Has been almost a year since the last update though, so, not sure if it's abandoned or not.

Hokage by Necessity by Evil Is A Relative Term

Yeah, Naruto is Hokage, he gets incurably sick/poisoned and Sakura has to take over, since as the last Hokage's apprentice she has the most experience, qualifications and connections to do so. Not to mention that Naruto had her shoulder most of the work anyway, which I find to be a rather realistic take on Naruto's tenure as Hokage, so people already knew that Sakura was doing most of the work. It has a lot of political stuff with a rather interesting take on Konoha in that light.

The village and its politics are represented nicely and in a refreshing manner, I like the characterization of all the characters, especially Sakura.

Something happens later on that I am still on the fence on, it might be a jump the shark for some and the grammar, at times, is weak, in terms of typos and stuff, but overall, decently written and a refreshing story that I haven't seen yet. Still, more of a guilty pleasure than anything, so expectations should be a bit lower for this one.

Once and After by Shana the Short
    I actually don't really remember this one. Might be good or not.

Time Braid by ShaperV
    Haven't read that one yet, but it is supposed to be good. Then again, it was inspired by Chunin Exam Day, so, how good can it really be? Then there is the implied triangle or poly-ship, so, that's another red-flag right there. Still, for people who want to give it a try.

Then there are all the SilverShine stories which have Sakura as the main character, albeit in most of them she has a romantic relationship with Kakashi, so, if you don't mind that, you're in for a few fantastic stories. Same author who did "The Girl From Whirlpool" which is still the best story that has Minato and Kushina in them. I am, of course, including the manga.

Five Kingdoms of the Dead by Evil Is a Relative Term

It's not the best story of all time or anything and IIRC it's a bit lazy here and there but on the other hand, the conversations with Orochimaru and Madara on philosophy and the world are a delight to read. Orochimaru especially is written really well and you remember why he made for such a good villain initially before he was sidelined by idiots later on. A well written Orochimaru is a blast to read.

The Next Dimension Over by Yusagi

An interesting crossover. Sakura arrives in dragonball really early, when Goku and Krillin basically just started training with Roshi, so she's in a good spot powerwise, before everyone and their mom becomes a planet buster. Haven't read the last few updates and I think I'm going to give this another go. Really interested to see how Sakura's impact on this world will develop and what she'll do to stay relevant later on.

So, those are the ones that I remember. Have fun finding one or two of those that you'll like.

9. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sakura stories, my specialty.

All of the usual ones have been linked though.

Anyways

Cherry Blossom by grimrose

It's an interesting AU. A major nitpick I had with it is that they call jutsus spells. Also it is basically Sakura if she was just a bit more strong.

Mirrored Images

My favourite Sakura time travel, where Naruto botches it and a Sakura raised in a Hokage Orochimaru's Konoha comes back in the same body as the canon one.

Freedom in the Eyes of another by Ouroboros69

Polished version is on ao3, basically wave goes wrong in an interesting take. It's completed and is a good read.

Suiren

It has interesting ideas but hasn't really stuck with me. Sakura does some crazy mind jutsu during the Exams. (Has Anko in this)

Well in Hand by Materiablade

Yeah, Naruto is Kyuubi, he gets Sakura and brings her back in time as a second jinchuriki. Konoha freaks out and Sakura is super-OP. Pretty filler honestly, expected more from Materia.

Once and After by Shana the Short

Nemrut recommended this and I back it up, I read it and remember thinking it was really clever and unique, it's not really a spoiler since it happens in the first chapter, Sakura becomes a jinchuriki and promptly flees. I'm not sure if it's been abandoned but it was interesting especially since it's AU and she gains a friendship with
    Kimimaro(Momotaro)
    of all people.

Also The Eyes Have it by Shana the Short is a realistic take on Sakura gaining an eye kekkei genkai, the author writes very well.
    It also has a completed sequel, both NanoWrimo works.

Then there is one crossover I liked Fractured Blossom
    Ranma pops into Sakuras head during chunin exams, abandoned early on, it was okay.

I have some more(short stories), but I'll get back to this later with better descriptions.

Oh yeah, also Jacobk stories and you haven't mentioned https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9515271/1/The-Sasuke-Fan-Club

It's their only story that is kind of chilling, in that Sakura has some mental break.

EDIT: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6004135/1/Expedient - Surprised no one linked this, a well written sort of intrigue plot fic about a Program Exchange between Iwa and Konoha and Deidara being Sakura's Sensei, I liked the fight scenes in this and it's a bit similar to Loyalty.

Look at Me Now
    On the mission in Wave, Sakura finds a mentor. The mentor is kind of like Orochimaru, half-ish.

Well if you want stories with Orochimaru, uh.. Well this one has Hidan and Orochimaru for a bit-Tozette story, apparently she just up and deleted all her stuff on FFN A One and a Half Body Problem, Dirt and Ashes
    Also found a Orochimaru and student Sakura one shot https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11647940/1/Ouroboros

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  10. Ven Arima

Ven Arima Slug Club Member

A Voice in the Wind by tricksie

Summary: Sakura's friendship with a rogue nin is a lifeline for both, but it cannot last. Nothing ever lasts for him. But when a blonde Akatsuki shows up with the bleeding kunoichi in his arms, will she be she strong enough to unravel the mystery of who he is? AU Naru/Saku

So this was recommended on here sometime ago (at least I think it was) and I took the time to read it. If the romance tag turns you off, I wouldn't worry too very much about it. I had the same concerns upon first reading it, but honestly it's such a slow burner that whatever could be constituted as romance doesn't really feel like anything you would normally expect. The author (and story itself) is more concerned with the development of Sakura's (and to a lesser degree, Naruto's) character development than they are the romance. Even though it could be said that their...attraction for one another acts as a driving force at times for their development. Basically, what I'm saying is that this is good shit. Old, but definitely something of quality. It's far more nuanced than a lot of what you'll see in the fandom nowadays and has some incredibly strong stockholm-syndrome like vibes, if you're into that kind of thing.

Honestly, just read it yourself. I will warn you though that, like I said earlier, it's old. Like seven years old. So it's age shows in a lot ways, but otherwise is a solid read. Oh yeah, and I wasn't joking when I said it was slow. The plot takes a backseat a lot of times for the benefit of character development. So yeah...take that and do what you will.

11. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

???

Naruto is as hard working as any Hokage. There's nothing to suggest he shoves his responsibilities off on others, not even Shikamaru who's his right hand. It's the whole reason Bolt is triggered 24/7. He works too much. Which is saying something considering he can make infinite clones.

It might be a realistic interpretation if he ended up as a twelve year old Kage like Gaara, but in that scenario Sakura wouldn't be the one bearing the load for him anyway.

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I had written this before we got the Boruto stuff, so we hadn't seen Hokage Naruto in action, IIRC.

13. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Not to toot my own horn but I am writing a team 7 that is about 60% told from Sakura's POV which just might hit the brief.

14. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Thank you for all your recommendations. Sakura working for Sound sounds the most interesting. I will look into them. Also, I don't mean any disrespect, but 'Evil is a Relative Term' is a terrible author in my eyes. I have never liked her work. It comes across as blatant bashing as I have always disliked such fictions no matter who is at the bashing end.

Also, I dislike 'power' fantasy fictions where the protagonist becomes too powerful or his/her characterization bleeds into another canon character's characterization. Such fictions are always unbearable to read and Evil's work is a prime example of this fan-fiction cliche. It's not my cup of tea.

I will look into the first one. As for KOH, then, well ...

I have read KOH till the fifty-something chapter, I believe? The whole premise of the fiction is absolutely terrible and hilariously bad in every possible way. Every character bar the caricatures have been butchered beyond recognition. The argument about chakra control and frontline ninjas had me laughing. It made no sense.

Genjutsu experts being some kind of untouchables was amusing and very idiotic in a manner because Sasuke was excluded, when all Uchihas are born with an ability to awaken the Sharingan, make all tailed-beasts their bitches (bar Kurama that requires MS for some inexplicable reasons, but it can be subdued just as easily with a normal Sharingan) and the Doujutsu renders any visual genjutsu and visual kai obsolete. Two people are required for one three tomoe user. It's Sharingan logic 101 in the manga.

It's hilarious as the very first fight is again something Sasuke did (bar the killing, of course, which was made so flashy with over-diligence but very poor results) and we have Sakura doing it. The author went as far as to state that Sasuke and Naruto engaged in no battle; something Sakura did, because she's that 'sapahshal'. Want to see more bashing? Sasuke is too stupid in his battle against Orochimaru. He's the one who killed the snake summon. Sakura does it here. Apparently, 'death intent' is a Genjutsu now (another AN that expresses it being canon), which only Sakura can break. And again, it's Sakura who robs another one of Sasuke's feats and does the rescuing. Sharingan also can't see traps, but Sakura's eye is so damn awesome that she damn well can!

He can't trap Orochimaru for shit (it's one of the, if not the best battle strategy feat in the entire manga from any character and Sasuke was only twelve then), and it's Sakura again who is so insightful that she notices how incredibly stupid Sasuke's plan is when it wasn't in the manga. In fact, Orochimaru never saw it coming, that is how good the plan was: a tweleve-year-old trapped the most intelligent of the Senin with a quick strategy, which has been rendered dumb in this fiction.

She ends up in the hospital (just like Sasuke in the manga; Sasuke has been shafted to a fight with Kiba; the most stupid guy in K-13; brilliant!) after her Chunin battle. And also, Itachi and Orochimaru can learn 'any' Jutsu because they are Genjutsu types (which has nothing to do with genjutsu casting, by the way, as almost all Sakura fans weep over as some kind of injustice) as this writer describes in her AN as being canon with some hilariously awful mental gymnastics nobody should take seriously. What? Why is Sasuke excluded from this courtesy, then, if 'intelligence' is the sole marker for this made-up rubbish, when the latter admitted his inferiority before Sasuke precisely for the same reason why he's excluded from this OP-prodigies club?

All this nonsense and an obscene amount of Sasuke-bashing happens in just a dozen or so chapters. And I haven't even touched upon the other silly ways and narrative contradictions and core canon personae butchering the author tried her hand at with very bizarre and very funny outcomes. As I mentioned that the only way Sakura is relevant is to either give Sasuke's and Naruto's feats to her, make them act really stupid and then make her shine. Looking at that fiction's follows and favourites just baffles me. How can people even like this fiction?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  15. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Maybe. For me it means readable, that is a non-short fic I bothered to make it to the end.

Reading through the first chapter again I didn't close tab halfway and considered reading the next one so decent seems to fit. I suppose it could get worse even if I don't recall it doing so since I read it like five years ago so was more willing to accept certain things.

16. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So are you specifically looking for Sound Sakura fics?

17. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I had the same problems with Evil is a Relative Term. The bashing, the deviation from canon to build up Sakura, all those ruined their fics even with their relatively good writing.

18. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

My biggest annoyance with Sakura centric fics is the retarded use of "celestial" Sakura, what ever the fuck that is.

Actually it's obvious what it is, it's the author not having any thoughts on how to make her relevant in the team containing Naruto and Sasuke, so they give her some weird undefined power which doesn't seem to really do anything - and then she wins.

19. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is one thing that I dislike about Naruto stories. Most authors always think that in order to make a character compete with the big boys or be interesting they need to give the character Kekkai Genkai. It's quite infuriating.

Hiruzen doesn't have a Kekkai Genkai.
    The 4th Raikage doesn't have a Kekkai Genkai.
    Tsunade, Jiraiya, Orochimaru, and Minato never had any Kekai Genkai's.

Giving a character power doesn't make then endearing, actually I find it to make them more annoying and harder to like.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I think what Naruto fanfic writers really need to do is read the manga again. It's easy to forget the personalities of major characters. People seem to forget that canon Sakura was able to compete with the powerhouses of the Narutoverse. In fact it seems to me that she was able to master her power in just as much time as Sasuke and Naruto. Instead she's been regulated to a mindless fangirl by many authors.