1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Forests of Valbonë by enembee

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Sey, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Harry Potter and the Forests of Valbonë
    Author: enembee
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: N/A
    Words: 115,748
    Summary: Long ago the Forests of Valbonë were closed to wizards and all were forbidden to set foot within them. So when, at the end of his second year, Harry becomes disenchanted with his life at Hogwarts, where else could he and his unlikely band of cohorts want to go? Join Harry on a trip into the unknown, where the only certainty is that he has absolutely no idea what he's doing.
    Link:FF.NET Epilogue

From the well-known DLP author enembee, this fanfiction is a humorful adventure story that explores Harry living on his own and learning magic under high-pressure situations. It features some interesting concepts of magic, especially the methodology Harry utilizes learning charms and the theory of enchanting.

There are no pairings in this story.

The characters are interesting and interactions are fluid, especially in regards to Harry and the Sorting Hat. There is a multitude of new characters and even species added to the HP world allowing the author great freedom with his sequel because the setting and plot are both completely new to the reader.

I wouldn't say that this is enembee's best work, that honor probably goes to The Skitterleap, but it is still a good story.

Rating: 4.5/5

Note: I was surprised to not see this posted anywhere so I decided to add this to the Review Board.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

Already in the library I believe.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's not showing up as being in the library for me, which is weird, since I would have sworn it was already in. It is in the DLP c2.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure enembee put it up for review. Search his threads. The search function on the forum is pretty atrocious.

5. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He put his other fic up for review so I initially thought that too, but after reading it I checked DLP and couldn't find anything. A quick search of all his thread creations doesn't show it either unless we are counting the WBA section as votes to the library.

6. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The author is an overrated talentless hack. 1/5

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Agreed, By The Divining Light was much better :)

8. jugemu

jugemu Squib

High Score:
    I read this a few years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If I remember correctly I found it to be a breath of fresh air compared to the dark and gory stuff I preferred at the time.

I am quite sure that I found it via this forum, but if it's not in the library at the moment it definitely deserves a place there.

9/10 ~= 5/5

9. Lord Twain

Lord Twain First Year

I read it a month or so ago, and it is awesome. The fact that the author vanished before posting the supposed epilogue, nor the sequel, is a bit off-putting, but the excellent worldbuilding, very good writing, and an original premise make it a very good story. I love the Sorting Hat's characterization (and, indeed, the fact that the Sorting Hat is a character), and beyond the worldbuilding as such the ideas about the magic system are very well-done too.

I could have done without the idea of the Sorting Hat as the remains of Gryffindor's Horcrux — that was a thoroughly weird turn and kind of useless given that the story also acknowledges the feasibility of purely artificial minds with magic.

4/5

10. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    You can find the author, the epilogue and even the few chapters of the sequel that were created here on DLP. Of course the sequel is dead is still sad.

11. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

12. enembee

High Score:
    Thanks for the comments Quiddity. I'll respond in the book club thread.

I'd just like to note that although there are elements of humor in this story, it's probably shouldn't be in the 'Humor' category. Can I propose it being moved to 'General'?

13. RileyA

RileyA Squib

This is another one I've seen get a lot of flack as being talentless, but I quite enjoyed this. I'd challenge anyone to point out a reason beyond matter of taste as to why they were talentless (I may be new to DLP but as an avid reader of thousands of fics I often find such proclamations confusing when it's simply a matter of the reader's taste).

That being said I enjoyed the subtle humor in this story. That really set it apart from others Ive read on here so I have to give it at least a 4/5.

14. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

If you're referring to the post above with a lot of thumbs ups, that's from the author himself about himself as a joke. However, if you've seen a lot of negative feedback about this being poor elsewhere, I'd be interested to read that. It would really surprise me.

15. enembee

High Score:
    Probably this cunt, Blorcyn:

16. RileyA

RileyA Squib

This is why I shouldn't post after a 48 hour lineup of parties....lol

Thank goodness for that as I was seriously beginning to question everyone's tastes on here. Ha!