1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witch Hunt #8

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I always had the reason, I just didn't remember what it was.

If anything I fed you that read.

Speaking of which do you like, agree with it, or think anything about it, or anything?

2. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I'm fine with you critiquing it, if you want. I don't think it will affect my ability to read Miner's response.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

By the way, if this playstyle does dip over the edge from "amusing" to "exasperating," someone should let me know. I'm having too much fun with it to be objective about it.

See you all tomorrow, cats and kittens.

4. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I'm caught up, and I think Fonti suggesting that Miner was already panicking in scumchat for being caught is pretty funny.

5. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think it's a fairly obvious line of attack to take re: regfan at that point in the game so I'm not willing to call it town. It's a fairly shallow argument.

I think I agree with this. The timing of HF's disappearance from the thread was suspicious to me also, since it was right as I poked him for something.

---------- Post automerged at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Off to bed now.

6. Jarizok

I don't like how focused the thread as a whole in on Miner's alignment. Tunneling this early doesn't seem smart, and I wouldn't want him to suicide later on by LCing into Fonti or selfvoting...

As to where you're at Reg, I think it'd be pretty easy for Vira to just continue the "Hax gods" thing from sign ups. Asking to not be scum in sign ups and then claiming to not be scum ITT with the same tone and word choice is far too little to get towncred. #139 is good though.

I think Fluff's been pretty standard Fluff so far. He hasn't struck me as particularly robotic, or memorable at all for that matter.

Rubicon could be using the "trying to sound less robotic" as a reason for why his posts are slightly off from his last game as an excuse as scum, and I really don't know why you'd think it's townie. TMI? Coupled with your "I don't mind him scumreading me, not like it's gonna stick" it's not a good look on you.

I didn't think Miner's vote on Font or the way he went about it was unnatural, but I concur that his response to Newcomb has been off in comparison.

7. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Thanks for the main explanations Rubicon & Fonti, both make sense.

Newcomb - I take it that your "That's a soft defence" line was when you hadn't read the entirety of my post? If you're still around I'd love your read on Vaimes. I've got a really weird overall read on him at the moment that I don't think I should have but can't entirely shake.

Jarizok - 1) Your Post #224 was kind of vague, do you think it's "funny" in an unrealistic manner or just a amusing one? 2) I'd agree with the "Too much focus on Miner" type stance from you, I think people sharing/stating reads on other players are pretty neccesary at this point. 3) As for the Vira read, it's not exactly the act of her stating it but the way it's phrased, that combined with rest of her posts inside the thread read very pure so far. 4) I think the whole Rubicon "Stating he's trying to sound less robotic to excuse being off" is a little too convulted of a theory, I think it's plausible he just merely stated it to be town read but overall I think it's something that more often than not is just him genuinely thinking it as town. 5) You're going to have to explain the "Not like it's going to stick" not being a good look; play from my perspective for a moment, it's something I know is like 0.001% chance to go through and thus I have to look at what his motivation is behind the push and I see less scum motivation behind it with the reasoning behind the push being fairly understandable. 6) Wouldn't mind hearing your reads and thoughts on players that I haven't gone into yet.

8. Jarizok

Jan's entrance was weird.

Jan I know you're not supposed to talk about role stuff, but if even I can spot on... Did you basically claim Fluff priest? A nice change from everyone claiming they are the priest I guess.

Gravedigger stuff: Way I see it, whoever claims GD gets checked by the priest right? This means if the priest doesn't have a red check D2 we should be able to trust the info the GD gives us. Since this information is actually useful to witches and they want to be killing the priest N1 anyway, it's unlikely GD dies N1 so we get a semi confirmed townie and role information on the dead that we can trust from this plan.

Downside to this plan is if we lynch a witch D1 and the GD is also a witch. A bit of an outside shot, but then the GD would have been haunted and we play the entire game thinking we can trust information we can't actually trust. Last WH was a close shave for town in that regard, so is there anything we can do to avoid this?

9. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Pretty underwhelemed with Jans opening to this game so far, it's plausible that I'm just expecting too much from him given his recent performances but there's far less prodding and questioning of players to attempt to get reads or game related content and while he's always someone that does some off-topic banter the ratio between that and content here differs hugely from the last three town games I've seen of his. I specifically didn't like his read and reasoning on me inside Post #49 given I think he'd have determined that it's a post that's very NAI for me and something that'd have been thought up pregame and I've noticed a tendency for scum to state a scum read on their RVS for which would fit in this case. I also thought the questioning of why I asked Fonti inside Post #73 felt like a very weak question given the reason was a pretty obvious one and one he should have been aware of. Think there's a chance he's scum here.

---------- Post automerged at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

Haha, what a crosspost.

---------- Post automerged at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

I'll mull on the plan but initial impression is that it's suboptimal and just increasing the odds of mafia shooting the Gravedigger since it's not just removing the role but also the priests clearance. There's also the messed up problem of "Directed investigations" can be messed around with by Demons.

10. Jarizok

6) I'm in the process of rolling out my stuff, all in good time!

#224 is both. It's unrealistic to think we have scum on the ropes after, what, 150 posts in at that point? And it's funny because I can see Fonti actually thinking that from what I've seen from here.

5) is something only a couple of players in this game could pull off, probably you, Fonti, Newcomb and Jan. Someone scumreads you and you just wave it off because "you can't lynch me anyway". On second thought it may not be scummy per se. It's exactly what I suicided over Fonti doing in SVM. You thinking his reasoning is coherent is fair enough.

---------- Post automerged at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Snow is town.

It's premature to give Delphine townpoints for the bible verses, since Miner got townread for the same last game, but I'm kinda leaning in that direction anyway. Actually no, she had to have gathered those verses pre-rand. Either that or she knows them by heart. Anyone know if Delphine knows the Bible by heart?

11. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Sounds good! I finish work in ~20 minutes and won't be back until I find a laptop at my relatives probably in like ~6 hours but looking forward to hearing the rest of your thoughts then. With the exception of maybe Fonti I don't think anyone is near the stage of "locking it in being Miner", just merely have a scum read there and think his play here fits his scum meta moreso than his town one. Would love you elaborating on that Snow read if you could because he's someone I'm kind of ashamed to actually make a reads post on until I'm relatively confident up right with how much I've been making fun of his town/scum difference lately and haven't read that level at all yet.

12. Jarizok

I'm retracting the Jan acolyte thing. Softs all over the place on reread. May also explain why he feels off Regfan

This argument was underused last WH. We can't force Newcomb to post, can we?

Did you just want to get this out there or what? The timing is godawful as an overreaction. Too scum to be scum etcetera.

KaiDASH Who was this aimed at?

You remember me!

I... don't get what we get out of Oracle claiming D1. Sure, there's 2 townies we can't mislynch, but is that really the best we can do with that role? Narrowing down the priest pool for scum, just so we don't mislynch two particular townies, who could always claim if they're getting lynched anyway?

13. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Can you put more line breaks in your posts, they're difficult to read.

People were complaining about the GREATEST NATION ON EARTH, AMERICA.

14. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    So there's a few advantages to having the Oracle claim here D1, two worlds currently exist;

1) Mafia have the Oracle, in this world having Oracle claim D1 means forcing mafia to make a decision of whether they claim it or not here, if they don't we know it's a role they have, if they do they have to select their "clear" D1 and be linked to someone from it, this is advantageous for us since if we don't have Oracle claim they can manipulate the claim to best suit them as the game progresses in terms of which of them claim it and with who as the target.

2) Town have the Oracle, in this world both them and the target are town, if we get a town read on the Oracle we are able to remove two people from the lynch pool which is pretty advantageous for us too, mafia also can't shoot the Oracle without confirming it's target as town and taking that shot means them intentionally leaving Priest alive, they also can't shoot the target without knowing their role and again means the priest living.

End of the day there's a lot of reasons to have Oracle claim.

@Kai, will try to from hereon out.

15. Jarizok

Hiya! My name is Jarizok and my favorite thing is being right.

Can I ask who in this game you are and aren't familiar with? Any reads yet?

Not that your posts aren't fun and all, but do you have anything yet?

16. KaiDASH

Thanks!

If you show commitment to this, I'll read your existing posts.

17. Jarizok

Witches can drop a role. Is there ever a world where they don't drop Oracle? World 1 seems unlikely.

Town Oracle can clear themselves and their target at any time. Why does it need to be at gamestart? If they or there target get run up they can claim just as easily. Making the priest pool smaller for the N1 kill just doesn't feel like it's worth it.

18. KaiDASH

You need to go DEEPER.

19. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Mafia can drop Oracle and still claim it.

The earlier we get the Oracle time the more time we have to assess Oracle's legitimacy, letting mafia claim it later in the game can disastrous since whoever is most town read can just claim it and say the clear is a partner.

---------- Post automerged at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

In case it's not obvious I'm dreadful at phone posting and should probably stop it. I remember Nacho begging me never to do so again ~3 years ago.

20. Jarizok

Fair enough, hadn't considered that it's safe for witches to claim Oracle if they dropped it.

---------- Post automerged at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

NEWcomb is pretty fun to read, but hard to READ so far.

I had to get that out there.