1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witch Hunt #8

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Back home .. things and reasons ..

Didn't want to give too many reads this early on because it is still pregame, but will at least react to things. Too late now anyway with the Miner/Fonti thing.

Lettuce start with Regfan who wanted to know why I scumread his entry.
    Prepare for something silly. This is his first post :

What do you think when you see this post right at the start of the game?
    Woow that is one ugly block of text? That was my first thought.

I am the master of ugly posts, and even I got turned off.

There are 2 reasons to make such a post early on.

a) you prepared it before you got your role/alignment and want to throw it out there for people to read and comment on.
    b) you want people to think that you did work and have an entry that seems good.

If a) was the case then he would have known beforehand how it looks and just used his enter key one or two more times after rereading it. (this would be NAI)

In the case of B) he would have written somewhat fast on the fly without putting that extra little bit of work to it. That one is more likely scum.

(I know this is a lot of me projecting my expected behavior onto him, but when the shoe fits ...)

Add to that the fact that scum are more likely to use the mechanics crutch to get an easy entry into the game. (I did not have this initial thought, but someone else mentioned it earlier)
    Regfan knows this and I have trouble thinking town!regfan would give other people such an easy entry into the game without knowing their alignment.

The double poke towards fonti is one of those things that are weird.
    Even if he has read the last witchhunt and saw her mentioning the reasons, he can assume several people in here know the reasons to do it that way.
    Newcomb, Kai, Fonti, myself at the very least.
    Rubicon, Waco and Koalas most likely too.

And he should know them himself if he has read them and agrees with them.
    It feels like he wants to have this easy entry into the game but not overdo it and therefor wants fonti to finish the work + it gives him an easy way to interact with the thread from the get go.

Just things that rubbed me the wrong way.

Jarizok
    Yes - If I am Acolyte then Fluff is my priest. Those covers are not rare in Aco games .. in part because too many Acos give away their priest by behaving like clumsy idiots in thread.

In additon to your read on me Regfan .

The reason I have not poked people that much is in part because I had plans to hang out with fonti tonight and didn't want to delve too deep into the game just yet. We don't play forumgames we are both in when we arehanging out, just because of the risk of giving away infos via reactions and things like that.
    In addition to that, this is still pregame and I didn't want to give hard reads right now, because if a scum is under a lot of pressure already. then they are more likely to adjust their roles accordingly (if they can).
    People already started giving reads and actually playing instead of pregaming, so yeah too late for the most part.

2. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Will always be NewBcomb to me.

And when you consider the odds of mafia drawing Oracle being 6/16 it's pretty worthwhile having that role locked in via a claim D1.

@Jari - Still would like your Vaimes town read elaborated on when you get time.

Jan - Don't for a second buy that your differentiation between pretyped and not is how spaced apart it is, especially when Owners Market ended ~1 week ago where you saw me drop dozens of walls of text that were separated.

The person that stated that scum post alignment indicative posts early on was me so you attempting to lush an argument stating I did X, called X a scum tell as mafia is pretty baffling and isn't something I think you can genuinely believe.

If you'd remembered WH7 at all Fonti was the largest presence pushing the Gravedigger claiming strategy with the most reasoning presented so it's pretty obvious why I'd deferred to get to explain it.

I follow your reasoning behind not getting into reads earlier, the limiting having a chance to drop something around Fonti and limiting scums info with role distribution both make plenty of sense.

That said overall really struggling to see you actual believe your own reasoning on me here, it doesn't read genuine at all.

---------- Post automerged at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

Weren't separated*

---------- Post automerged at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

*Throws phone out train window*

3. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Is just such a carefree, fun thing to say. He followed it up with

and claiming he didn't want top poster, but then went for it hard anyway. All of his posts have a genuine hype and involvement behind them that I expect to see from town!Von. I've never seen scum!Von but I hear he has trouble with his scum game every time.

He doesn't read like someone who's trying to hard. He doesn't read like he's overthinking things.

If I had to imagine how everyone on the playerlist would play as either alignment beforehand, Von is probably most in line with my town expectation of him out of anyone in the thread so far.

4. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Okay read the last couple of posts that I missed while writing.

I disagree with the oracle play today.

If either the oracle or the greencheck are close to die 24 hours before the day ends, then the oracle can claim.
    There is no need to do it before that.

The oracle claiming early (if they are town) means that two people are clear, but all interactions with them will be somewhat fake from there on forward. A lot of people use the people interact with them as a way to read other people.
    Clearing people gives mafia another crutch to have an easier time to play the game from the get go and removes interactions from the game that might be useful.

D2 is the right moment to claim oracle (and watchman). They don't even have to claim which role they are just hardclaim to be one of them.
    If the priest has a greencheck he can do the same.

Chances of the oracle dying n1 are fairly slim and a risk I would be willing to take.

I don't think you read a lot into the oracle claim anyway. If oracle/watchman are town then their target is town too.
    If they are scum then it says nothing about their target.
    You don't read the claim itself only the players that are claiming and it does not matter that much if you do it d1 or d2.

Just for the numbers game :
    13 villagers & 5 witches in this game.

If gravedigger and oracle are town, then the number of possible targets for the priesthunt reduce to 10.
    Considering that 1-4 people always derpclear themself from being the priest because they are somewhat stupid (or just fuck up) every role in the n1 PoE is important.

I have seen people correctly narrowing down the priest down to two people with ease and we don't need to make it easier than needed.

The gravedigger is more important to claim d1 than the oracle. You could argue that a d2 claim is enough, but we had that argument before and I am down to have a d1 claim without going through it over and over again.

I don't think the priest should check the gravedigger n1. They can, but we don't need to direct the check.

That is all mechanics for now.

---------- Post automerged at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

I was refering to this post by Vira Regfan.

5. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Yes aware of that post but it's quoting and responding to my post so unless your argument is I did something as mafia and then stated playing that way is a scum tell to intentionally make myself look worse then I don't know where you're going.

And I've reached my train stop. Will have to read your mechanics post later.

6. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

I know you tend to post big chunks. But that initial post just felt off and not in a good way.
    You asked why and I told you. You don't have to like it.

You stated that scum have trouble posting alignment indicative stuff, but Vira told you that you are making it easy for them, if you are town.
    And I agree with her and think starting the game off with it instead of waiting 2-10 hours to let people enter the thread is more likely scum!Regfan going for the easier time.

The WH7 stuff is NAI in itself. The fact that you didn't just push it yourself, but asked someone else to do it felt awkward.

---------- Post automerged at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

The one has nothing to do with the other?!

Let us look at your post she is quoting :

What in here talks about the crutch of using mechanics?

What in here talks about giving scum the possibility to have something easy to talk about early on?

You are saying it is hard for them to craft their own posts without any real direction, yes.
    And it was not hard for you to do so because you took the crutch of mechanics and gave it for everyone who wants to pick it up and walk a stretch with it.

You are asking for credit for something you did not actually do, why?

I agree that early game can be a good point to catch scum.
    I got two scumreads in the WC game within the first 100 posts or something like that.

A lot of scum have trouble having good early interactions and act (care)free until they have found something to latch onto.
    That and getting back into the thread feels somewhat awkward for some scumplayers.

7. Miner

Miner Order Member

Y'all make my defense for me.

I'm never, ever going to respond to pressure the way I responded to newcomb because I never bring IRL stuff as an excuse for mafia play. I was actually just tryin to pinpoint why I was feeling as weird as I was yesterday and "lolcatting".

Leaving for the bus in a half hour. Peace.

Also I'll be top poster again sometime vaimes :mad:

8. Delphine

Delphine First Year

Something something praise the Lord.

I feel really alienated when people joke that past games have caused them PTSD. It's been a staple of my past few DLP RVS's but killed my vibe tonight more than usual.

If it wasn't clear I don't like his fluffiness because he hit some overeager notes. I would like to hear more words from him about his Jan vote. I disagree w/ Rubicon that his responsiveness to being pinged out is likely alignment indicative.

9. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

"But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”—"

---------- Post automerged at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

That is me saying "Why did you drop your gimmick so fast girl?"

10. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

13 pages in less than 10 hours of pre-game...

y'all need jesus (as hilariously ironic as that is coming from be)

As I haven't read any of this so far, am going to have to ask you not to overdo it the rest of the pregame hours (please?). Cause catching up with all of that is going to suck already. Ok?

On a non game related note, Jan, Jari, or anyone else, has anyone been to Portugal? I've heard it and the rest of the Iberian peninsula, and was looking to book a trip for later in the year.

11. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Nope, no Portugal. Been to Barcelona a couple of times though. I hear the Algarve is really pretty from people who have been.

12. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    Out of this group I know cobalt, delphine, jan, newcomb, owner (this is the first time we've ever played together in the same game though), and vaimes. I know I've seen fonti and waco on MU but never really paid any attention to the games they've been in.

As for reads I tend to take my time before giving any out, kinda think vaimes feels different from the one game I played with him where he was a wolf and I kinda get where the vira V reads are coming from but I think it's too early to make that call. Probably not gonna have any strong wolf (witch?) reads unless I see something that really pings me or later when the game is a bit longer and I start doing ISOs.

13. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Probably does

Vote: Rubicon

---------- Post automerged at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Like I kinda understand what you're trying to explain in this post, but does this really need to be said... In pre-game... after you prefaced with the " I don't know like half the game"???

---------- Post automerged at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Cool, thanks! Often have considered making a trip across to europe, and finally figured i should just go and do it. Probably going to try and tie in some ulti or a spurs game in as part of it.

14. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    Maybe not but I wanted to be thorough with my answer for the sake of clarity. Does it bother you?

15. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

It does ping me a tiny bit. The players you've mentioned playing with, plus you say you've been on MU enough to notice a Fonti and I, means you probably play there a bit as well, adds up to you being a decently experienced player. Given that, plus you saying you're not familiar with a lot of players being new to DLP, that phrase just feel off. I mean yea, I'd imagine most people don't have many strong reads now, or even later in D1, hell we don't even make Fonti solve the game D1 (often, anyway), so it kinda feels like lowering the bar a little bit.

In essence, it feels like you choose to duck under the radar a bit, rather than explain your style so that you could be identified as town through your play

---------- Post automerged at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Heading to bed, night all!

16. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    I've played the 4th most games out of of anyone on the site so yeah I play on MU quite a bit and yeah I would say I'm pretty experienced given that. I do think I understand the miscommunication because I do try to solve the game d1 if I can which is why I felt the need to clarify. :p

As far as my playstyle goes I think I'm probably terrible at explaining it other than I'm slow to start and very aggressive once I do get going. I can link a wolf game and a village game from MU if people would like, that would probably do a better job of what I'm like rather than me just trying to explain it.

17. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

In a fast game that makes sense, because you need every little bit to solve the game early on etc.
    Plus scum have more trouble getting rolereads on the people that are unclaimed on d1.

In a forum setting all that stuff is basically the other way around in my eyes.

18. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Cause it was 1:30 in the morning and I have class today.

So what was it you wanted to ask me?

19. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Luckily, we have Delphine.

20. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

I am not sure if this statement is a dellusion or a joke.

Like .. you play so low effort as town in 70% of your games just so you can level your scumgame.

Every sane person knows that.

---------- Post automerged at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Reread the game .. still feel kind of bored by most things and don't feel like I have anything spectecular to add.

Gonna do the thing where I just hover for a bit until I see something good.