1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witch Hunt #8

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Delphine

Delphine First Year

I'm not quite comfortable with this read on me. Don't think you'd particularly feel the need to go for a pocket as scum, but I think the strength of it is possible TMI.

As far as the conversation bit, I really don't know what you're referring to unless you're super reading into me saying that I would be really intimidated by playing with Whiskeyjack regardless of the rand?

Newcomb's questions are noted but I'm running late for work.

2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God I hate catching up on an active thread.

As for Fable get off your high horse. You don't get to claim a slow start 9 hours into the game then get pissed I don't have a full read wall in the first 3 full hours I've had to sit down and play. Reading the thread takes time.

As for reads nothing too spciy.

Von and Vira and just spewing town to me. Atum is as well to a lesser extent but I feel like his energy is dropping which I'm not a fan of. He also has a bullshit memory of how Narutomafia went down.

Newcomb's kind of low effort but the spark is there. Leaning town.

Jan's in a weird null spot, content hasn't been where I expected and there's a bit of the mean side I saw coming out in Auction. Given how frustrated he was that game it's strange seeing it here.

I've really liked how direct fonti has been and there was a couple times in the later thread that I just found myself nodding along even if I disagree with some of the reads. The biggest issue I have with fonti is the lack of read on owner.

Owner has some clear parallels to miner in terms of just awkwardness in thread but I feel like she's just ignoring it. I'd like some serious thoughts there fonti.

Not a fan of Delphine. I found the explanations on Regfan boiling down to meta and not even applicable meta given how Auction played out. Bible verses were weird effort but they (fun as they were) give a lot of wiggle room while giving 'reads'. I also don't really recall playing with them so that 100% read accuracy smells.

---------- Post automerged at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Well roughly caught up. Hold on.

3. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Insulting people doesn't make discussions happen. Take a break. The thread will be here when you get back.

4. Koalas

High Score:
    Newcomb that reminds me. Goldilocks. I get the reference obviously but is there a more mafia specific meaning?

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

It's probably been covered, but no.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flip that around, but, yuuuuuuup.

Feel like this is fairly villagery from Delphine. The bit at the end doesn't reeeeally feel like setting him up for a mislynch later, and the overall tone doesn't really smell like a partner defense. So I'm having trouble fitting this into both town and wolf Reg worlds, which means Delphine's probably just town here? I think if she /is/ a witch that Reg's more likely than not to be with her, based on this, though.

Delphine/Atum proooobably not together based on Atum's response to this.

What does this even mean, owner?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

6. Koalas

High Score:
    Further thoughts:

I've got the slightest of town leans on Kai and HF for equally terrible reasons.

Fable's breakdown deserves an Oscar.

7. Vira

High Score:
    I agree Jan's content has been a bit low, but what does the bold mean?

That's not a joking matter.

In other news, I've missed Newcomb's catch up posts.

8. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Fable/Koalas w/w anyone?

9. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Awake and catching up.

10. Koalas

High Score:
    Thought that's been floating around in my head. Auction had a lot of flaws and Jan was understandably frustrated neat the end of it. I saw that coming out in his harshness. I'm seeing that here as well but what is there to be frustrated over? Content is good and people are, mostly, participating. Scummates under performing maybe?

11. Newcomb

It kind of is, though. Not necessarily joking, but. If there's no rule in place against losing your cool, that's tacitly supporting the idea that it's in-bounds for wolves to fake such things, since obviously you can't have town able to just hardclear themselves by breaking down in-thread. Would not be fair to the scumteam, at all.

I haven't gotten to Fable's rant or whatever it was yet, but it's entirely reasonable for people to question the motivations or lack thereof behind it.

It's entirely possible to go about it in a way that's not mean-spirited, but that's another point altogether.

12. Vira

High Score:
    I don't see the frustration. It's just Jan.

And who would these scummates be?

13. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Jan RE; Post #544 - someone sharing the same reads as me in multiple places is a good sign yes, but I need to be able to follow their thought process behind the reads and consider them genuine for it to actually be a town tell; I'd asked her about her Delphine town read explanation and didn't particularly like it, when she stated her read on Rubicon I had the opposite read on his play at the time. So really Atum/Vira being town are the town reads I'd agreed with her on and I think as mafia she's capable of realising they're going to be town read and thus state one on them. Really just not enough for me to have a read on her thus null for the time being.

Find your read here on Jari pretty underwhelming especially because Kai only really semi-addressed some points and I'm pretty confident overall that Jari's town here, would like you to go more into this one. Also would like you to comment on the point about Miner actively lurking the thread (ie. Shown through his response towards Fables question about Fontis scum meta within 4 minutes of it being asked and it being a question that there's scum motivation for him to answer) while having stated zero reads outside of Fonti with that not even really being a read. Will address your Rubicon points shortly.

fontisian, if you haven't already got around to it wouldn't mind your Fable scum read being elaborated on.

Vira - Yes, I've got individual scum reads on both Miner & Fluff; I haven't really looked at their interactions enough to state if they're hugely likely partners or not but haven't really seen anything that points against it being a possibility here. And I'll bet your game and mine however I see fit, even if you don't like it.

14. Newcomb

Think this is another town ping for Vira; I think the "meta information I'm not comfortable with" comes off as very genuine, and in-line with what I expect from town!Vira here. It's... potentially fakable, as a wolf, but there's a... hm. Vulnerability? maybe is the wrong word but it's close - to it that doesn't match at all with her scum meta, IMO.

What gives you that impression?

They're obviously individually tailored to the people she's quoting, so it's pretty impossible she had the actual quotes pre-loaded.

Mrgle.

Talk to me about the strength of this read. Like, it's predicated on Delphine's personality, which I grant you probably have a better handle on than me. But I feel like the bible quotes thing, what is there to slip up on, really? I'll admit I haven't been reading them super closely, but it's not like any of us wouldn't be able to hand-wave retroactive meanings out the wazoo.

I can sorta see how it would feel attention-grabbing in general, and thus not likely to come from a witch here. Just like... it didn't really get her much/any attention? And I feel like anyone would kind of be able to sus out that response given the playerlist.

I actually like the unprompted drop of it more than you, apparently.

Nothing wrong with the overall sentiment, but I rolled it around in my head and even though it's a small thing, the use of the word "might" here bothers me. It feels... inauthentic? Like, you do or you don't and you feel X% strongly about it, but the word "might" just seems like... where did that word come from?

I don't think I read Miner particularly well or particularly poorly. There was nothing to that comment beyond what it was, i.e. I didn't, and still don't, really make sense of Miner's early play. It reminds me of the type of random shit scum post when outed.

15. Koalas

High Score:
    Frustration showing through brusqueness.

Maybe miner? Maybe Cobalt? People who's play he'd be frustrated with. I'm not trying to build a scum team off of this one point just that it caught my interest.

16. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Jans response and discussion with me about reads inside Post #544 helps reduce some of my worries about him inside this game, can see the same type of solving attempt that I was expecting earlier.

Viras "Don't bet my game" comment inside Post #550 comes across as town.

Dislike how Rubicons analysis on Miner inside Post #565 largely ignores most of the other reasons people think Miner is mafia here and thought his response re; HF inside Post #571 was fairly weak.

See, the problem here is that you're attributing your early reasoning on your scum read on me with his initial reason -- his one was that my first post was "too messy" to have been typed up pre-game start and therefore was something I'd thrown together to get town cred as mafia, yours was that I wasn't doing enough in the pregame. These are very different reasons, his I find very hard to believe, yours I do not. I responded to that point you're mentioning on the second line inside Post #519.

Would like to hear how you differentiate this and what Miners done, with more posts.

---------- Post automerged at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

It's less "he agrees with me about those two players" and more "He's putting his reads and thoughts about those players inside the thread better than I can myself" which feels like him thinking about it from very much a town mindset. The "LC'ed" quip is that we had a discussion ~1 week ago where we'd discussed how it's probably +EV to have a weak scum player suicide onto the other before they have a chance to enter the game, removes a strong town player from the game, also means that town don't gain any interaction / analysis tells on the weak scum player being caught.

17. Newcomb

Waco maaaaaaybe unlikely to be with Miner based on this? I can see scum!Waco approaching the early stuff around Miner like this if Miner's town. If Miner's a wolf with Waco though it's a little, hm. I think he'd be a little too aware of how bad he'd look if Miner ever was confirmed wolf, which given his early play would probably seem fairly reasonable.

Smacks a little of "man you guys are being silly", slightly leaking TMI that Miner's town.

Don't worry, he flakes as town, too.

Talk to me about your Jan and Waco reads, if you haven't done so already.

Meh, that's kind of thin. What about the FoT thing makes it especially unlikely to be faked?

I feel like Jan's pretty squarely inside his range on both. Do you have a ton of experience with Jan? My PoV is that I've been finding it pretty easy to get to villager on him lately, even early in games, and though I don't find him screamingly wolfy or anything I'm not really getting there, either.

Though I do think this is probably the strongest villager!Jan indicator so far, yeah.

18. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Regfan

I will concede that Jan's reasoning for doubting you wrote that pre-game is weak.

Is there a particular argument about Miner you think I ignored?

19. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    @Fonti - You can ignore my prior question, just got to your answer inside Post #588 and find it pretty understandable.

@Waco - Would like your placement of Newcomb, Delphine and myself elaborated on if you haven't already.

Rubicon - So there's effectively three reasons behind mine (and others?) scum reads on Miners - 1) That his interactions with Fontisian this game feel very forced and feel like him attempting to replicate how he normally interacts with her but failing on a tonal level, 2) That his response towards Newcombs post was over-defensive and makes sense as scum there and 3) That he's actively lurked since those posts (Explained this already) and stated zero reads inside the thread despite having a large number of posts and seemingly being mostly up to date. You've addressed your stance on 2) but 1) and 3) still exist.

---------- Post automerged at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

I really like Fontisians interaction with Fable inside Post #594.

See you make this post and it just makes me feel bad. I'm mostly caught up and when I do and Newcomb finishes I'll run through where I am with you!

20. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I see (2) as closely related to the others, in that the defensive response was an explanation for the rest.