1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

'Confusedly'

Yes, I'm aware it's a valid word, but every time I see it my attention instantly shifts from the story to the number of occurrences of 'he said adverbly'. When that happens it is only a matter of time before I get annoyed and close the story because every writer lazy enough to think that 'confusedly' is a good idea is also lazy enough to sprinkle adverbs through all of their speech tags. It often takes me a while to notice such adverb abuse in a story, but using 'confusedly' will always bring it to my attention.

2. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    said Steelbadger irritatedly.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Steelbadgery.

4. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

I just repleyed to the favorite pairing and that inspired me to write I most hate about the pairing, it is that certain pairing need to be accompanied by the same troopes even though they are so more intresting ways:

Why does H/SlytherinGirl always needs to have her part of a "neutral" family. That need to avoide conflict is so annoying. Why not make her the daugther of a known death eater. Harry falls in love with her (or the best thing a 16 year old things he loves) and has a fight of heart and head between his love for her and her allegance with Voldemorte. A beautiful dynamic that could lead to a serious conflict not only between Harry and his girl but also between Harry, his friends who disagree with him loveing the 'enemy', the Order who fear for his safety and only see a plot by Voldemorte, Dumbledore who on the one hand belivies and her innocence but on the other hand has to be careful considering the war.

Why does H/Fleur always has her beeing some shy, unsure virgin. I mean that can be a neat characterization too, but where are the Fleur who is sure of herself, who takes pride in her looks, and knows of her appeal to man and women alike. Let her take a the dynamic between herself and Harry to a more relaxed less serious level, where she can approache him (or he approache her) in a less conflicted level.
    Also why Harrys age is always a problem is beyoned me. If he is 14 and she is 17 atleast I dont see the problem. I admit I dont know the legals in England "in our world" but atleast in Germany that would be legal (even if she were 18) and while it might raise a few concernes espcially with the parents I doubt it would be that huge of a problem.
    And also, anyone telling me a fourteen year old guy would not be after a living goddes of beauty must have had one hell of a boring life.

Why does H/Hr always needs Hermine always as that uber smart girl, that leaves Harry looking like a retard and her having to solve EVERY problem.
    After that there a two possible ways either she has a bit of uncertainly on her looks because she belives herself ohh so ugly and she doubts herself all the time because surely Harry would rather be with Ginny, OR she still doubts her looks but atleast can overshadow that with boundless arrogance because she knows everything and the rest knows nothing.
    I see the easy way of developing this pairing "natural" giving there time together but why she cant have a healty amout of self assurence (like in canon) is beyond me.

Harry/Katie seems to be impossible anyway even thought one would belive paring of two members of the same sports team should be quite easy to do.

Harry/Ginny practically has the opposite problems of so many here staying mostly like a slave to the canon not daring to change there relationship in any shape.

Harry/Cho is surprisingly few written aswell, even thought here we even have like two to three perfect spots in canon bring them togther but people seem to dislike her hard.

Harry/Luna however brings me to a problematic point. The only story with that pairing I ever enjoyed was one where she is dead from the start (thanks Resurrexit for the intresting evening), I simply don't see the two being togther. I mean I don't really see anyone dating Luna, that girl isn't the one you usally spend time with but fanon is nothing if not creative in their divergence so there are good ways to pull that off. However here people need to destroy her character with either giving her some seer shit ability or I shit you not, having Harry "cure" her. Let the two of them heal of each other after the war in a quite way or do the opposite and let them have some crazy adventure somewhere in the world, but don't act like that girl is completly normal.

For me pairing are a large reason to read fanfiction, but why everyone has to use the overused ideas again and again is quite sad. Something that is unfornuatly even true for good authors. I adore Harry/Fleur but even the best stories here seems to have the need to make her 'weaker' than she appears to be in canon, not in terms of skill but of character. Which in the end might be the biggest point those author fail, giving the character a strong, serious profil.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The good ones do this; at least have Daphne be a pureblood, and not 'omg i luv teh [insert band or film] because my dad is a international potion trader and so deals with muggles all the times.

The great ones go by Master Slytherin, and have Tracey's dad a known high-ranking death eater. So good ;-;.

To be fair here, I've seen a fair number of 'Fleur seducez...' I get why the shy virgin bombshell trope exists, but this one actually has been done both ways. It's just most writers are crap so it fails, usually.

Because 1. The pairing is over saturated with girls writing self-inserts and 2. Harry didn't know who Theodore Nott was after five years, even after being alerted to the fact his father was a death eater at the Graveyard... until Hermione told him who his own classmate was :/. This ship is fangirls just taking Rowling's mary-sue and cranking it to 11.

I actually think this is the most likely 'not-canon' Harry pairing that could have happened, more likely than H/Hr. Katie was only one year older and was actually a starter on the team the same year as Harry. And rumor has it while her titz are never quite as large as Susan Boenz's, they are firm and perky.

I always felt there was good chemistry there, even if most of it happened off-book. Can't really argue why, but I did.

Can't confirm or deny one way or the other.

H/G and H/Hr people dislike her (the number of evil!Cho in Harmony fics... cripes!) but I think most people just... meh.

No, stawp! A GOOD, alive, complete Harry/Luna is the Crumpled Horned Snorkack of fandom, and don't you dare fucking say that i can not be.

6. Lesath

Lesath Second Year

High Score:
    The question is "Why beautiful, popular girl, almost women, would accept advances of the adolescent boy?". There is no reason for her to do so. The difference of 3 years is significant for teenagers.
    And sex with 14 years old is considered paedophilia in my country. :nyan:

7. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I actually prefer "shy, unsure virgin" Fleur to "sex goddess" Fleur. I mean, I don't like Harry/Fleur anyway, but the former makes much more sense to me. She's a 17 year old girl. Unless they are huge sluts, 17 year old girls usually aren't sex goddesses. They're inexperienced and as emotionally unstable as a teenager can be. They're not going to jump on a 14 year old boy like Gianna Michaels and fuck his brains out without feeling any discomfort. Teenage sex is awkward like that.

And when you're a teenager, a 3 year gap makes all the difference in the world. I don't think I've ever seen a 17 year old girl dating a 14 year old.

I'm pretty sure that the "neutral family Slytherin girl" trope comes from writers who want to show that not everyone in Slytherin is a death eater or terrible in general.

8. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    HP fanfiction is 90% overused ideas being done, again and again, pairings are just a part of a bigger problem.

Hey, there also many ficswhere they are both Sues.

But why not have Fleur be a huge slut?

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Harry/Fleur: hot sexy veela and Boy-Who-Lived is more plausible than international quidditch superstar and school bookworm. Especially when the age gap is the same in both cases.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    vlad

I don't know Krum's exact birthdate, but Hermione would have been 15 by the time Krum/Hermione was a thing. Her birthday is like September something, innit? So technically Harry/Fleur = 3 year gap, Hermione/Krum = 2 years.

11. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Krum is mentioned being eighteen multiple times.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    My mistake, I was sure he was 17.

13. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I might be wrong, but I think that a great part of Fleur's appeal in the eyes of fans is how elitistic, exclusive and seemingly hard to get she is. If she's a huge slut she can't possibly be good and amazing enough for the Chosen One. (Ginny is a prime example of this kind of thinking)

As to Krum: I dislike that part as well, but my theory is that he has never met a muggleborn and it made him curious (apparently they aren't allowed at Durmstrang), possibly had Draco talking about her negatively to him in relation to Harry Potter, and he wanted to stick it to Karkaroff by dating the exact opposite of the kind of girl a Durmstrang champion is expected to (we later learn that Krum hates Magic Nazis).

14. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Also in book seven (Bill/Fleur wedding) Krum gives Ginny the ol' lecherous eye, and on hearing that she's 'dating someone' (by disguised Harry), bemoans all the good ones are taken.

Krum might believe that if there's grass on the pitch, u can haz quidditch... but nobody else ever really has a problem with it.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    HAHAHAHAHA holy shit that fucking hilarious

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Some folks forget that Hermione is Rowling's self-insert, so of course she's going to make a statement just how good Hermione can look by getting someone way,way out of her league interested in her.

17. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Krum:

Only interested in Hermione and Ginny

Great Seeker

Despite being awkward around people, just happens to have a conversation with "Barney" Weasley about how good looking Ginny is and useful discussion about deathly hallows.

Leaves wedding when no longer plot relevant.

Conclusion: Krum is time travelling future disguise of Harry Potter.

18. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Purefags being cancer as usual. At least they are less crazy than Japanese ones.

19. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

'Delores'

That's not her name. It isn't spelled that way. They might sound alike and be written similarly but just reading the books or looking it up online will tell you how to write her name. It grinds my gears to see how many people write her name that way because it makes me think they've never read the books.

20. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Same on Ginerva/Ginevra and Pavarti/Parvati