1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What don't you like about canon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by warner, May 15, 2017.

1. warner

warner Disappeared

High Score:
    Were you mad Snape turned into a hero? Hated every single thing about Ron? Felt like there were plotholes? Thought that Harry/Hermione should have been end game?

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The epilogue

The fact CC is official canon

Deus ex Amor

Harry is Jesus

How the war played out in DH

The Trace

JK's lacking math skills

Hermione replacing Dumbledore

3. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The fact that we never really saw the full potential of both Voldemort and Dumbledore. Just a bit disappointing.

4. Verovir

Verovir Disappeared

High Score:
    I was hyped up after book four, but book five was a huge letdown at a time. After interesting and action-packed GoF, I got boring politics, DA and Umbridge.

About Snape, I was kinda disappointed he died in the end. I disliked him through six books, but then, I felt emptiness of sorts instead.

I also don't like how Harry defeated Voldemort and whole epilogue, because idea of Hermione and Ron being together just sucks. That's also reason why I kinda disliked all the teenage drama in book 6, but I still devoured the book in a few days. Horcruxes are awesome.

I still hate Umbridge. She deserved what she got. Also Malfoys. I have no idea what possessed JK to "redeem" them. I still have it in my head-canon that they got dismembered somewhere before epilogue.

About Ron... I disliked him from the very beginning, but I got used to his presence. Eventually.

5. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    That Voldemort was introduced like a cartoon villain and he died like a cartoon villain.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  6. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    That if we're to consider Cursed Child canon, then the complete and utter lack of a descriptive full penetration sex scene between Voldemort and Bellatrix in the last third of Half Blood Prince.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The existence of Hermione.

Erase her and the books become better by 100%.

Reasons:

#1 - Without Hermione to act as Miss Infodump, Harry would learn things on his own.

#2 - We would be spared her nagging and her insanity from Half-Blood Prince where she became a parody of herself.

#3 - No pointless crusading for house elves.

#4 - The fandom's obsession with Emma Watson wouldn't exist. Let's face it, that's the primary reason Hermione is so popular in fanfiction.

#5 - We would see What Would Broz Do, vlad.

8. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Didn't we have this thread a week ago, except more articulate and less newbish?

Anyway, didn't like that Harry showed so little enthusiasm to learning magic (though I understand the literary reason for it), Hermione Ex Machina, Boy-Who-Lived/Prophecy shenanigans, adults are idiots, everyone becoming an idiot when the plot needs it, Snape becoming Super!Snape, quidditch, Sirius' premature death, Voldemort being basically born evil, Voldemort in general, Horcruxes, Dobby, and the Trace.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I really dislike the lack of explanation given to a lot of things:

-lack of explanation on how magic actually works. incantations, wand waving, intent, etc. How are spells made? Why do potions work the way they work?

-what some of the subjects actually entail. runes appears to be just the study of old runic languages, and arithmancy appears to be numerical divination. I wish it was just more clear cut. And what about classes for basic life skills? I don't really like the whole "your parents teach you what they know" since if those parents were taught the same way, they probably don't know much.

-definition of other various forms of magic. what exactly is dark magic? is it just a category where an arbitrary set of spells are lumped under because of Ministry doctrine or whatever, or something else? What about the distinction between jinxes, hexes, curses and charms. And then where do enchantments come in, and how are they different than charms or curses?

-horcruxes - it's fine enough that we never learn how they are made in canon, as we are seeing the events through Harry's eyes. But obviously theres way more to it than murder. Is it a ritual? Does your soul always break when you murder, or it is sometimes? only with

Then there are other random things that happen due to the story being from Harry's viewpoint.

- we see the world through Harry's eyes, and he's very clueless, and show little interest in learning about the world around him (though it's hard to tell if it's willing ignorance, or the ignorance over the fact that he's ignorant, or the fact that people assume he must already know things when he actually doesn't and he doesn't realize it).

- they celebrate muggle holidays at Hogwarts and no magical holidays (though we to see a ghosts' Deathday). It has been often said that there are a lot of muggleborn, but we only learn about a total of FOUR students (creevy's, justin, and hermione). We see the story from Harry's eyes, and he has few friends, so it's probable there are more. More likely, there's a ton of halfbloods.

-the view on Slytherins. from very beginning, we have Hagrid talking bad about them, and then Harry encounters Draco, and that taints his entire viewpoint about them. Obviously, if a full quarter of Hogwarts was actually evil, the house wouldn't even exist. I just wish some effort was made to show a different viewpoint (one that didn't involve Draco), even if it was just Slytherins studying and doing homework like everyone else. It's especially weird, since we see early on that Gryffindor is responsible for one dark wizard, whether it's Sirius or Peter, but no one says shit about that.

other worldbuilding nitpicks:

- JKR's lack of number skills. From the value of currency (chopping the horn off a unicorn apparently only gets you 10 galleons, and a wand with a feather from an immortal mythical creature is 7 galleons), to population (how many people go to Hogwarts, and how many people actually exist in the wizarding world in order for it to not get inbred and actually be self-sustaining), to timeskips that just don't really make sense (why did it take Hagrid a day to take Harry from the wreckage of the house at Godric's Hallow, to #4 privet drive, Surrey. Even if he was coming from Ireland, it shouldn't have taken more than a few hours by flying bike. As is, he was likely coming from Wales, and that's like 175 miles)

- goblins. Why are they in control of the wizard's bank. did they win the last rebellion or something?

- veela. how do they work? are there ugly veela?

-is it actually possible for wizards to go about their daily lives without any muggle influence at all. If not, it seems like the economies would be more closely tied

-what other magic schools are there in England other than Hogwarts?

other stuff:

-everything with Umbridge. I hate the whole "the devil you know is better than the one you don't" mentality. The lengths the Ministry went to deny Voldemort's return went to comedy-like levels. I'm not saying it's not realistic, since people will go to great lengths of self-delusion to make sure their world view remains unchanged, but I found a lot of the story to be frustrating and not very enjoyable.

-Snape. I found his character to be very inconsistent. I don't get how he "invented" what appears to be vary baseline and generic spells. Surely something like that must have existed for centuries already. Then, later on, his magical prowess. The dude taught potions for 15 years. How is he the second most skilled person in Voldemort's ranks? It's not so much Snape's character, just that we're just supposed to accept it since nothing is explained.

- final pairing. Harry/Ginny felt very forced. I'm not saying it wasn't possible, I'm just saying with the information that was given to us (which is to say, Ginny's character is barely explored at all), it seems kind of random. (insert my pairing preference here, etc)

10. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

This is really treading common ground, but okay. Ordered from detest do dislike:

• Voldemort is evil. He does evil things. He doesn't make sense because he's insane. That's a terrible villain.

• A glorified item hunt and a few magic items that serve as a way to defeat the big evil guy. None of the multitude of interesting and exciting ways that the world itself might have offered are being used.

• Mind reading and time travel. I don't remember who, but someone talked about that and it's kind of ridiculous how the existence of these two concepts should change absolutely fucking everything, but doesn't.

• Molly killing Bellatrix. Yeah, no.

• I never liked Ginny, it feels as if that romance was utterly shoe-horned in and I always thought that Harry and Hermione would have been a great pairing that actually makes sense. 14 year-old me was really upset about that. And fuck it's been a long time.

These are the biggest sticking points for me.

11. Waterdownblues

Waterdownblues Squib

High Score:
    I believe that this has already been stated, but I disliked that we never got a more detailed description of magic itself, and how it really worked. The books, as enjoyable as they are, would have been a great deal more so, if we had a better understanding of one of the core themes in the books.

12. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    I can't stand Hermione myself. I always thought she was a self-insert, Sue kind of thing girls can project on. She's so pointless. Although, truth be told, her fight against the ill-treatment of elves is the only thing that was endurable for me.

I agree with all of them, but damn the 'Molly' one sticks out like a sore thumb in the book. How did she get killed by Molly: someone who took seasoned Aurors out despite being in Azkaban for so long? Who were in-service? That made no sense. It went beyond the notions of stupidity. It became a parody at that point.

I reread that part thrice and was in a state of disbelief for several minutes that I dropped the book there and then and went back to it after a few weeks.

13. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rowling probably would justify it with some stupid thing like 'power of love' or 'mother's rage'. It's just bad writing and planning. She could have at least had someone help Molly and it would be much better.

14. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    I even found the three girls fighting a veteran wand-duelist like Bellatrix to be laughable. But, they had taken a few drops of the luck potion, so, I guess it was somewhat bearable. This one? No further comments.

15. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Pretty sure the three didn't even have luck potion against Bellatrix, the part with the luck potion was in HBP when the Death Eater stormed Hogwarts.

But atleast it seemed like Bellatrix was slowly overhelming them ... until Molly interfered with was even worse I suppose.

JK could have atleast thrown in some throwaway line in the past books about Molly being a promsing duellist who wanted to go professional in the future but instead focused on family.

It still would have felt stupid but not a staight up WTF moment ripped of from Aliens.

JK even said in an interview that it was a duell of motherly love, against the obsessive love of Bella for Voldemort, which is just awful preachy writing.

What gets me is that this is one of the absolute favorite parts of the franchise for many.

16. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

I think we've all got to admit that we're just mad Harry didn't get to practice his newly found Cruciatus skills on Bellatrix when she was the one who taught him.

17. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I can actually forgive the 3-on-1 duel a bit more easily, since being outnumbered that badly is a pretty big disadvantage. Granted the rules of magical combat are vague and undefined, but in most real-world combat it's pretty hard to win at 3 vs 1 if the 3 are reasonably competent.

18. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry character.
    He is just a doormat, he has little interest to learn magic, unless something come and suck his soul out of him.
    He needs always someone to guide him, hold his hand, he will never go and do his own research.
    Some bad Dementors want to suck your soul, the DADA Prof said no (I think Remus did it at first, or delayed him) go to the freaking Library open a damn book and read about them.

5th year, 6th year, yes lets play Quidditch when insanely powerful wizard is after me.
    Because that what will save him.

Hermione stuff were mention above.
    Regarding the House Elves liberation front, it reak of Hermione not actually doing her research on that subject, she just act like bad caricature, I see something offending my sense i will not do any form of research and force my opinion on others.

No real punishment for the bad guys, redeeming Snape, Malfoy.
    Dumbledore acting like an idiot, Voldemort like idiotic villain

All of this is why HP fanfic is great, it has so much to work with.

19. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Didn't Ginny say that they had taken the luck potion at some time before the battle began, which is why the killing curses were missing them? That is how I found it logical anyway. Its effects would last for some time, I believe. Or I would like to believe that, because then this one is just as bad as Molly's win.

This is the favourite part for many? If preachy, terrible and nonsensical writing is a favourite part, then I don't know what to say.

P.s: Aliens is way overrated.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  20. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Trufax as I've not read or seen CC the first time I saw character info based on CC was when looking up stuff on Astoria for my short story. When I read she died young of a blood curse and had raise Scorpius to be accepting of muggles I assumed I was on some shitty teenage emo girl's role play character page and went elsewhere.

Two weeks later Taure suggested an idea to me and it dawned on me that holy shit, the wiki was legit.