1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Nope. There is nothing of worth on SB/SV, and I'm not such a masochist that I would search through AH's forums.

2. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I wanted to disagree just to keep going with this pseudo maybe one sided insult stuff. But CX is right. All of these are filled with either shit or unfinished things that never got anywhere.

Knees deep and The King Nobody Wanted are the exceptions that prove the rule. And even KNW never went anywhere and Knees is in FF now.

3. Donimo

Donimo Auror

As others said mostly shit, and mostly unfinished shit at that. I'll link some fics I like though.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/asoiaf-legacy-of-the-lost.391053/

Neds kids(and Jon) are born as Numenoreans. Abandoned, but interesting.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/purple-days-asoiaf-au.391394/

Groundhog Day style timeloop every time Joffrey dies. Has some significant problems but an enjoyable read. Still updating.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ed-with-octavian-from-rome-version-ii.379805/

Joffrey gets a personality transplant to the benefit of Planetos. A very fun read, sadly abandoned.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/asoiaf-a-skagosson-tale.407315/

A self-insert of a different kind. Instead of being a modern person in Westeros its an incredibly savage Skagosson with some sort of memories of a modern person. Still updating.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/forums/fandom-ah.248/?prefix_id=9

That link is to the asoiaf tagged threads if you want to wade through the shit.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/how-does-anyone-even-survive-here-asoiaf-si.501130/

This is Serpentguy's(The author of Dragons of Ice and Fire) second fic. It's amusing, not up to the standard of his other fic.

4. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember Hash posted fics (SI as Rose Boolton) and it wasn't on ff.net
    Where was it?

5. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Has anyone read anything featuring the badass Lyanna Mormont from the show?

7. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Okay, so I just finished reading A Knight's Watch by DolorousEdditor. I thought it was pretty dope and worth bringing some attention to and since no one else seemingly has I guess I'll do it. (No one has linked it, as far as a cursory search goes)

Link here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11640100/1/A-Knight-s-Watch

It's summary:

Jon Snow is forbidden to take the black by his father. Instead he sent to squire for a famous knight, beginning a long arduous journey that causes him to cross paths which characters he never would have. Along the way he learns truths long hidden and discovers love in the most unlikely of places. All of this in the shadow of the War of Five Kings and the coming of the Others.

The author does a great job capturing the spirit of ASoIaF, no victory without great cost aka people still die. And contrary to what you might think Jon is fairly ineffective until he really comes into his own as a man grown. Also he gets brutalised, often. They also seem to have a good handle on the politics of the lords as well as the battles. I've really enjoyed the unravelling of many of the various theories that haven't seen the light of day in the books.

It's got clean enough writing, no immersion breaking mistakes. At least not when you consider it's nearly 700,000 words long. And I realise that the summary has a few... but I didn't think it reflected the piece as a whole, but that could've been due to my quick reading of it. It has quite the rapid pace, hence the timespan vs word count, due to it's focus on Jon, and then only branching when we meet the other Starks.

Does a good job of capturing various character voices, and yes that means that Jon can become a little angsty. But it doesn't usually last long and considering the contexts, it seems justifiable, when considering the shit he gets piled on him...

I thought it's a good example of what ASoIaF fanfiction can be. Hope to hear someone else's thoughts on it, happy reading.

8. KGB

KGB Headmaster

That's been recced before. General opinion was that it's an angst fest sprinkled with the general failure that is Jon/Sansa

9. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Lol. That's always amusing when that happens. I've been a little forlorn without my yearly dose of GoT, and was looking for love in all the wrong places I guess...

10. In Cognito

In Cognito Squib

High Score:
    A Knight's Watch spawned my loathing of Jon/Sansa and their shipping fandom. Before, I was merely neutral. Edd is a decent writer, who I think is often overpraised for a few reasons, but that fic exaggerates all the worst tropes of Jonsa. Jon's angst and poor self esteem is off the charts, and the author is yet another guy who idolizes Sansa and will twist any contrivance to give her a crown and make her a perfect political skills. This fic actually pissed me off at several points.

I think it ties with "Ties of Blood and Fire" for the most aggravating portrayal of Sansa, honestly.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What was that one about? It sounds familiar, but I think there's a couple of ASOIAF fanfics with "Ties" in their title.

12. Longsword

Longsword Banned

The one that has a dead Daenerys, an unhinged Aegon, a lucid Robert Arryn, an incoherent, paranoid Sansa and a dragon-rider Jon .
    It has Sansa doing all sorts of things that did not make sense, just for the angst. It was written by BlueCichild.

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This isn't a rec, more a general observation. For the last month I've been combing through fics trying to find something halfway decent in the fandom and I've noticed it's a minefield.

You see a fic with an interesting summary and a nice title, "Flight of the Crows" or something equally flowery and it's utter rubbish.

The more flowery the title the more rubbish the story. Now, I know this isn't news to anyone here and the same could be said of the HP fandom but usually with Harry Potter you can tell a great deal from the summary.

In Asoiaf summaries can be deceptive as fuck.

14. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

Generally without Scryer I wouldn't be able to browse through that shit.
    I filter via summary(for example: -Jonsan -Sansan -sansor -modern -western -college -highschool -Selfinsert -/SI -OC), excluded genres (-western, angst, hurt/comfort, parody etc.), excluded characters (OC), wordcount (>5k) and sort via update date.

Probably forgot some tags, but this will normally make it atleast browseable without permanent braindamage. Btw the GoT search gets way way worse.

15. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Okay, so after about a year, maybe a little more, A Canvas of Crowns has decided to start updating again. A ballsy move just happened that really marks a drastic departure from canon beyond Jon goes to King's Landing.

The Cat's Paw is successful, Bran just got axed

I gotta say, I'm keen for more. And the updates seem to be back to DE's usual rapid pace, I think... I hope... ... I pray... ... ...

16. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

What the fuck is Canvas of Crowns?

17. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    I recommended it about a year ago.

Mate you even liked my post the first time around...

18. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Tried a Canvas of Crowns.

Couldn't make it to the end of the second chapter. The first chapter was basically a rewrite of Bran I from GOT, but much poorer. Just what's the point? The writing is a solid 5/10, but forcing comparisons to GRRM makes my mouse hover over the backspace.

The spoiler Hush posted is interesting, but I don't see the point of bothering.

19. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    It's Jon and Tyrion centric. And yeah, it starts from the start of GoT, and works it's way forward. The first few chapters are basically GRRM with a few slight changes, but it has a fairly rapid pace.

Ned's already in KL talking to Tobho Mott, 30,000 words in.

20. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

...It was a year ago, bro.