1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

Those could never bother me as I would never spot them in the first place.

2. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Those have the same letters, so they can be confused.
    But then you have:
    Imperious
    Prewitt
    Ah and Umbrage (not when it's used on purpose of course)

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

A pet peeve of mine is when they misspell any name on purpose.

I've also noticed on more than one occasion that when people write French or some other language into their fic in order to spice things up. They write the sentences wrong (usually they follow the English sentence structure)or have spelling errors.

I once saw "Oui" spelled "We" and couldn't help shaking my head and wondering why the author couldn't have used google to translate the word properly.

4. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If anyone has ever enjoyed reading foreign sentences just to have to scroll to the bottom A/N for the translation I'd be very surprised.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Just write in English and mention that someone is speaking in another language dammit.

6. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

There are thousands way to do it better than as an A/N. Write it behind the text like wastelands of time did, or better yet, dont do it at all.

Google translator is quite hilarious aswell. I spot many mistakes in french text I barely speak it aswell.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  7. warner

warner Disappeared

High Score:
    How Harry is characterized in Harry/Hermione fics. Here , I think, is where the majority of Harmony fics tend to fail in horrifying ways. Typically, Hermione is portrayed as far smarter and dominant in the relationship, solving all the problems and becoming the hero in all but name (see: majority of canon). Maybe it's just me, but for somebody who likes reading about a Harry who is strong and independent (not really canon, once again), this ruins the ship for me. Relationships are about equality, and in the majority of H/Hr fics, there isn't any.

8. Jjones8845

Jjones8845 Squib

High Score:
    Sorting Hat songs. Why do authors always try to show how clever they are by trying to come up with a song/poem which is never funny nor clever. I didn't even like JK Rowlings original, I probably won't like yours.

9. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

Those songs from the sorting hat (the canon one that is) really become something diffrent in a good audio book (like the german one I have is). The reader Rufus Beck really 'sings' here, some of them even with a guitare playing. PS, GoF(the one with the guitare), OotP.

10. StudentPanaKleksa

StudentPanaKleksa First Year

High Score:
    If Harry is not a friend of Ron in your fic, why do you keep bringing him up? If Harry is Slytherin, why does he think about Ron every two chapters? Why would Ron be more important for Harry than Seamus, Dean, Ernie, dunno, Unnnamed Male Ravenclaw 2? Just why? If you want to bash Ron, maybe you should make story he somehow fits in.

And it's even better when author spends first chapter bashing Ron/Dumbledore, forcing his favourite pairing and then Harry goes to Narnia/Middle Earth/Westeros and never mentions anyone from Potterverse again. So useless.

11. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    One notes Rowling had the decency to have Harry pull idiotic stunts with flying cars and almost get his soul sucked by a demon to spare the reader Hogwarts sorting songs.

It's selfish af to have canon Harry do all and then ignore his sacrifice and force us to read one...

12. Tydestorm

Tydestorm Squib

"How Slytherin/Gryffindor/Hufflepuff of you." Every single time I see this in a fic I cringe without fail. I've yet to see the Ravenclaw iteration used and I can't help but think it's only a matter of time. I understand why these lines are used, but I see them so often that their presence in a fic alone is almost enough to make me close out of a story by itself. In general, I think too much importance is placed on the houses and this is simply an extension of that trend.

13. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How Ravenclaw of you to think that much about it.

14. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I never understood why people hate this so much. Those names are associated with certain archetypes, so it makes sense for people to use them that way.

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Things can make sense and still piss you off. It's why they're called pet peeves, not objective peeves.

16. James

James Unspeakable

"Indy!Harry decided to have pizza, because he smelled it few times at Dursleys, but was never allowed any."

And it's always a fucking pizza.

17. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I think I can honestly say that I've never read that... at all... ever. What the fuck kind of stories are you reading? :nyan: ;)

18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

It could have come from James Spooky I'm pretty sure he has written that before.

19. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The "Harry has emotional experience having X for the first time" is a Harmony staple, where X is everything from pizza to new clothes. I can't pinpoint a specific story because it's been so long, but if you ever went to portkey (is that still around?) or the type of Harmony written by muggledad/chemprof et.al. ... then you've read Harry FINALLY getting to try pizza.

A billion times. While Hermione sniffles.

20. James

James Unspeakable

Anything and everything that, based on summary, isn't obvious shit.

On another note, if you browse ff.net fanfics, sorted by favorites, update in last week, there are at any time at least 3 or 4 fics named something like "Embracing True Self", where True Self is gay and submissive.