1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What don't you like about canon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by warner, May 15, 2017.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My question is where does a luck potion's power stop. Could someone take a luck potion and be able to survive a fight with Voldemort? Like what is the extent of its power.

2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

@vlad, in relation to the rest of CC, that's actually quite tame and fitting.

@cooladoola, yes, they have said that, but in relation to the battle in HBP. I don't know how you managed to confuse between the two.

3. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    I don't believe that was ever explained properly. One can only speculate.

Confuse between what?

4. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Between the battle in HBP and the battle in DH.

5. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    She said that she had taken the potion. Had it worn off by then? Hard to say.

6. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Yes, it doesn't last for more than a day while taking a full dose, and she only took a little sip.

7. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Wasn't a large amount toxic? A little sip would last a couple of hours. I recall Slughorn stating that only a tablespoonful of it gave him one perfect day. Two of them gave him two perfect days.

8. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

The point is that it doesn't last forever, or even a few days.

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

At least it answers the question of why Voldemort was "off-screen" for so long: He was carrying SheDix!Bellatrix's baby. :awesome :fire:stare:

All of this.

Besides, there were enough plot-holes in canon, already, without CC being 'canonized' and throwing a shitload of self-contradiction into the mix.

Super Time Turners are canon, now?

I can't wait for the next play, where we learn that you can't create food out of thin air... unless you use a special spell to conjure it ten long-tons at time - which will create a situation where wizards are either big enough dicks to not solve world hunger for poor wizards and the muggles, or are too stupid to see where anyone who can cast that spell can become rich off the backs of muggles (and/or their governments).
    Also, canon already had what many writers and world-builders consider a big no-no: Creatures that can reproduce infinitely and presumably without limit, while also being unkillable[sup]*[/sup] (Dementors), and then CC throws in ostensibly immortal, only-vaguely-human, artificial, bodies that can still reproduce?

I know the rule that immortal[sup]**[/sup] beings can't have offspring is not only arbitrarily made up, but also contradicted by virtually every pantheistic religion out there, but yeesh...

It's good that there was a female main character, I think[sup]***[/sup], but... eehhhhhhh, there's a compelling argument to be had here that, at the very least, maaaybe it didn't have to be "a Hermione."

I think if JKR could have separated herself from her mouthpiece for a minute, a lot of these issues could have been solved, and Hermione's more excessive transgressions could have been toned down. Still doesn't explain the 6th year breakdown/character assassination Hermione suffered (except that she was able to attack and injure Ron with no consequences: Her being an author avatar totally explains that).

I mean, just look at her: Hermione's biggest flaws in the book are usually down to theoretically good qualities, like caring too much or supposedly being the only right-thinking person in a room full of people who don't want to hear it. Even when she's demonstrably wrong, she says she's right and the other characters (and, thus, author) don't contradict her.

"Yo, Harry. Your mentor just died, and Imma let you finish grieving, but I was totally right about the Half Blood Prince. The most right of all time!"

Bitch, no you weren't. You said it could be a woman, but it was a guy. You said it could be Eileen Prince, but it was Severus Snape. You said the potion information was wrong, but it wasn't. You said the spells could be bad, but they weren't; and the only person who suffered from them was Draco, because Harry didn't test them before using one on someone who was trying to use Unforgivables on him, which means Harry would have been legally justified in using Sectumsempra on Draco anyway even if he had known ahead of time what the spell would do, you self righteous little harpy. Ugh. Hermione, you're not only wrong on all counts, you're displaying a level of insensitivity that I don't think even RON matched in the entire series.

Dammit, Hermione, you made me defend Ron!

If Hermione is the argument for JKR being unable to separate herself from her avatar, Pansy is the closing statement. Based on the girls who bullied the author in school, she's the flip-side of Hermione's coin in every way, and JKR hates her guts.

*Fuck you, spellchecker, Oxford and Merriam-Webster both say it's a word.
    **In before "Voldemort's body wasn't functionally immortal."
    ***And I'm not even one for representation in media. I say, if you want yourself or your group represented, do it your own damned self. No author or creator implicitly owes you representation in their works (especially if they give it to you, and you kick them in the teeth and apply labels to them for 'not doing it right'), and just because they don't, doesn't mean it's a deliberate attempt to exclude people.

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Warlocke

It also can be argued that the actions Harry does in the books, as well as his personality are what JKR would have done in his place, not what a real boy would do.

Say his stay at the Dursleys, while he wasn't physically abused or starved, it was made clear to him that he was an unwanted burden.

A lot, if not most boys growing up in an environment like this would become bullies themselves instead of being bullied. And if not outright bullies, they'd be shitty people. There was this study that boys and girls react differently to rough upbringing and I suspect JKR unknowingly wrote Harry as acting like the latter.

11. GodsAndMonsters

GodsAndMonsters Squib

High Score:
    Hate the epilogue.
    JkR gave us a glimpse of Harry's power in book 3, I hate the fact that she never capitilized on that and made him stronger. He doesn't have to be OP, but he is a teenager fighting against adults and the most dangerous dark lord in a century, him being stronger then his peers is not unreasonable.

12. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Warlocke Finally, someone said something about the whole cheap 'representation' gimmick. You, sir, have my utmost gratitude and a thumbs up!

Never claimed that it does.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. warner

warner Disappeared

High Score:
    Any scene in which Ginny said the word, "Phlegm,"

Talk about stupid. It just showed she was a jealous cow, which I don't think JKR was actually aiming to achieve, but that's how it came off.

I guess another is when they see Fred and George's shop for the first time in HBP. U-No-Poo? No thanks. Get better jokes, please.

14. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Then why did you ask about the battle in DH as if the Felix Felicis could have influenced it?

15. douter

douter Sixth Year

High Score:
    I was mainly super disappointed on how Deathly Hallows was done. What with the whole camping in the woods and nothing really happening.

I was kind of expecting something similar to Matthew Reilly's Seven Ancient Wonders. Harry, Hermione and Ron running around the globe to hidden parts of the magical world in the search of horcruxes.

16. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Go back and reread the posts, maybe?

17. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Fine.
    Implies you believe that the three fought Bellatrix under the influence of Felix Felicis.
    This implies that you believe they took the potion before the battle in DH, or that you think the infuence of the potion would last for an entire year (since the duel against Bellatrix was almost an year after they took the Felix Felicis).
    This implies the same.
    (After I said that the potion doesn't last forever, or even a few days)

Try to sort through your confusion first instead of asking others to reread your puzzled posts.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  18. warner

warner Disappeared

High Score:
    Harrys chat with Dumbledore in his near death scene. Not only did it give us some spiritual BS but Harry didnt shit down Dumbledores throat for being an asshole.

Ron getting into the chamber by hissing in pseudo-parseltongue derived from what he remembered from 5 years ago and they get the basilisk fang and destroy the horcrux. What the hell is he? An effing parrot?

Voldemort's death by expelliarmus. That was way too lame.
    Why the fuck Rowling didn't give Harry some balls to cast the Avada Kedavra? Hell, he'd already used both non-mortal Unforgivable Curses...

Ginny calling Fleur 'Phlegm' and treating the French hottie like shit. That really pissed me off. And Hermione and Mrs. Weasley agreeing with Ginny's behavior was especially annoying. Rowling must have been snorting something, because it was like she instantly decided that ALL girls must look less awesome than Ginny. Like with Cho and Katie, both who have been on their Quidditch teams for at least five years, yet suddenly Ginerva is better than them. Or when Rowling wrote in 'HBP' that Harry thought Cho looked like a loser on the train (that pissed me off to no end). Or mentioning how clever Ginny was compared to Hermione.

Voldemort's death was really pathetic. Since WHEN did Expelliarmus defeat one of the greatest Dark Lord's of the modern age. These rules didn't apply in 'GoF'. So why the FUCK now? I expected both to die, and more explosions. Dark Lords must go down with style.

And the epilogue? I was half-expecting Rowling to write Colin Scabbers Potter by the time I was done with it.

The fact that Harry never opens a book or trains, and that his love life, despite being devilishly handsome, rich and famous, consists of two bitches.

And over all the worst scene is Ron/Lavender; the fact that the sidekick is getting more love than the hero just pisses me off.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  19. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

The fuck. Did we read the same book?

Dumbledore being an asshole sure he was not the nicest person but Harry knows that Dumbledore cared deeply about him, as anyone should know who read OotP. Harry sees his mentor in an semi-death occurence for propaly the last time and you wonder why he didnt behave like a retarded child.

Try 5 months instead of 5 years.

"Some balls". YOu truely dont understand the whole point if Harry character do you? Dumbledore didnt aim to kill either, was he "lacking balls too"? Or is it maybe that both didnt WANT to kill? That they thought there is a worse thing than death? That Harry would not use the killing curse was obvious miles ahead.

We see Ginny through Harry eyes who happens to have a crush on Ginny. Let me assure you that my first crush was the most beautiful women I have ever seen back then. When I see her today I cant really say that anymore.

Did you skipped large partes of DH? You know the hole deathly hollows part that explain why Harry, with the elder wand, wins that easy.

Will skip this point.

To what goal? Beating a wizard with some 50 years more experince than him? In case you didnt noticed Harry kinda tries to live his life as normal as possible far away from Voldemorte. And his love life, god forbid not anyone wants to fuck everything that moves just because he can. Espcially someone who didnt grew up with truely knowing love and social life.

20. warner

warner Disappeared

High Score:
    The one not listed that bothered me the most, was when Remus tried to tell Harry that this was war, and he needed to be using spells other than the disarming one...to which Harry goes all nobel and doesn't want to kill anyone. I honestly wanted to stop reading at that point as it was clear that Harry was just a useless do gooder. Of all the scenes in the book, that is the one that takes to cake. It is the point we realize that Harry's tragic flaw is being dumb as a brick.

And I've never understood why Harry seriously believes in Dumbledore as much as he does...he had, what, two or three conversations a year with the old man from the ages of eleven to fifteen, maybe a dozen serious discussions in the final year? And that's enough to make him Dumbledore's Man?

Harry helping Draco Malfoy! THAT is fucking bullshit! That guy almost killed Dumbledore and Harry, instead of letting him die, helps him!

Also the three Malfoys sitting in the Great Hall after Voldemort's death. WTF! Lucius is a known Death Eater and he just sits in the hall without getting himself killed?

Ron destroying the horcrux.....really though since when has Ron been either motivated or talented enough to do anything of importance?

I maintain Hermione received brain damage off-screen between OOtP and HBP. It's the only explanation for her loss of 50 IQ points, and wanting to impale herself on Ron.