1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

let make it 10 years it would be better -_-

2. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

Disagree on the thread creation limit. For one, while these topics may not be up to the usual standard of what DLP is about, they can garner replies that are actually decent content. (And if not, that's what the Hall of Shame is for.) For another, it's an easy warning system that can help in keeping DLP as elitist and snobbish as it is - assimilate or git hammered.

3. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The first 5 posts for a new member can't be a new thread.

This forces them to provide meaningful comments and content to other aspects of the site, and if they are clearly trolling in their first few posts we won't get any stupidly long threads where there is constant idiocy, the warner threads for example.

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

How about we just have the council of DLP elders judge new users to see if they are worthy to post new threads.

5. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

Why do we need rules for this ? I mean really, I don't mind ppl starting idiot threats it helps DLP, they get banned sooner. What more some ppl don't understand some shit so there is still ways to help (explain how things are).

6. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I was thinking a quiz that would test new users on canon knowledge. If they'll try cheating by consulting the books, at least they'll learn something and let go of some misconceptions.

I think a period of waiting is better that just a post cap, because a post cap would only mean more retarded spam.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what are the thoughts on adding a section in WBA for help with nonfiction or Academic papers?

DLP is obviously useful for creating writing, but help in academic writing could be great!

8. Sey

High Score:
    Cheating is a problem. As well as plagarism.

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh I could see it...but honestly if that's the case why do we post any of our original fiction here.

There is a line between cheating and tutoring though. My friends and I edit each other's papers all the time.

10. Sey

High Score:
    But then someone can copy your work word for word and pass it on for a grade. There's a difference.

11. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think cheating or plagiarism would be the biggest issues, but simply one of interest. We've had such threads a few times, and they've not received much attention. Institutions possess software tools that can detect plagiarism now, and I don't see any reason to censor ourselves for fear that someone will throw away their education by taking that risk. I don't want such a section to become homework help for high schoolers though. Either way, I doubt it'll go forward.

On an earlier note, making it harder to engage is one if the things that kills communities. There are members who made accounts only to post a thread and discuss it, and then ended up sticking around long term. The more barriers you put in a user's way, the more you harm the chances of developing the user base. The five post limit for wba is for several reasons, but even it is an imperfect solution. I don't want to have a new or potential user feel discouraged from posting a thread because they can't be trusted to not be shitty. This is what mods are for, and the community does a fine job self policing.

12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Like Sauce said, we've had this before (Academics subforum or something), but it went away due to lack of interest. I doubt reviving it would create more interest than before tbch.

13. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Two things have always stood out for me that are relevant to this idea.

First, the DLP regular user base has a pretty diverse spectrum of interests, qualifications and professions, and in the twelve years I've been around the site, it's only gotten better with age.

Second, if you ask nicely, people are generally happy to talk about things and help out. If users want to talk about academics, the RL Questions thread or IRC are places you'll probably find a receptive ear.

For reasons discussed above, about the general level of sustainable interest, or the possibility of a permanently available archive becoming a crutch, I don't think an Academics-type subforum is the best idea.

But that doesn't mean you can't bring it up elsewhere.

14. ElMarquis

ElMarquis First Year

High Score:
    A brief idea. Two posting writers, possibly with a third as a moderator/judge. The writers have to use their creative writing skills to write out a convincing magical battle. Each writer is writing for the opposite side in alternating posts. Combination of role-play, creative writing and tactics, with someone judging the work.

ElMarquis.

15. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I don't think it was mentioned, but for thread ratings I think it would be good to move beyond a 1/5 star system.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

To what? Thread ratings work just fine imo.

17. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Agreed. Only thing I could think of is to take it to a 1-10 star thing and that's redundant. Or picking a % grade which seems asinine. When you get down to it, who cares if it's 3 stars of 6 stars or 63%? We know what you mean

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Hell I'd rather see it go the other way tbqh and have a yes/no and base admittance to the library off vote ratio. Recognise I'd be very much in the minority with that view however.

19. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm actually with Oz on this one. I don't remember where I read it, but when asking an opinion question with an odd number of choices (1->5), people will have a tendency to pick the answer in the middle when indecisive. Whereas if you offer an even number of choices, people will have a tendency to answer more truthfully since there is no middle ground.

20. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I like this idea, actually. The current system struggles with a fairly arbitrary cutoff and each individual having a different idea of what each number means. Like, even when two people completely agree on a story they could give it a different rating just because they think the threshold to get a 4 star or whatever is different. Making it a yes/no vote makes library entry less arbitrary.