1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Newcomb, Jun 2, 2017.

1. blab

blab Second Year

Bold, brightly colored and on a seperate line

2. pienyan

pienyan Muggle

High Score:
    Is there any way to directly get the links to specific posts/post #s when ISO searching people on this site (I'm using the greasemonkey script)?

---------- Post automerged at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Nvm I'm dumb (and tired).

3. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Wow. I just got out of bed again to look and check.

Good that you realized the error of your ways on your own.

4. pienyan

pienyan Muggle

High Score:
    I agree with the town reads on blab and Vaimes.

Disagree with the town reads on Cobalt; I think he's kinda sitting there and saying a bunch of words to look useful, but not saying anything of substance. Starting with #103 - I wouldn't really have a problem with it if it was very clearly a filler post/showing an intent of wanting to relax now and gamesovle later, but the jab at Jari in particular is a sort of line that is typical of scum when they want to feign engagement without having anything substantive to comment on. Fast forward a bit to #148 - a lot of these are very neutral reads, all of the town reads were made without really any skepticism and the one scum read he has (Jari), none of his posts leading up to this gave any indication he tried to engage with Jari in any depth at all, and despite claiming the w/w comment from Jari bugged him, he didn't follow up on it or try to really feel it out after #103.

Fast forward again, his next posts are more of the same sort of neutral sounding comments and his reads #160 are almost entirely all town reads; I just get the impression these town reads are all sorts of reads that are easier to make when you know the alignment of the person you're reading. Specifically, the interaction stuff about Vaimes and Reg just doesn't strike me as something that someone would naturally use to solidify a town read this early in the game - it reads like he's stretching to find an original reason for those town reads to look useful and hide the fact that his reads aren't *actually* all that controversial, and the stuff about "Reg is similar to last game and. oh, it's just hard to fake that" is another sort of read you give as scum when you think town reading someone is the expected course of action and that's it (even qualified with the "I know this is probably always how Reg posts").

In general I mostly just get the impression he's making a bunch of milquetoast reads while coasting on Jari as a designated scum read, and the idea that he's "shitposting until things get serious" does not fit in with this - someone who is just "shitposting" just doesn't take the sort of serious tone he's took with Jari or come up with really specific secret sexy interaction stuff to town read players so early into the game.

Vote: Cobalt

Don't like Acionyx; his focus on Vaimes feels very one sided and it feels like he's mostly just attempting to nitpick Vaimes' posts to look like he has a point. Posts like #119, #145 read like he's just deliberately stretching to find things to take issue with; Vaimes has made it pretty clear it's a meta read based on his experience and he just doesn't accept that for *cosmic reason*, and the second post in particular just seems like a deliberate stretch when the obvious explanation is exactly what Reg/Vaimes were saying.

Stanari's posts come off as very awkward, but it doesn't feel scum-awkward, it just feels awkward. I would like Stanari to comment on her actual reads or just generally say anything of substance, and I'd like if her or someone who knows her could give me a general idea of her experience.

I feel like I should have more town reads. O well.

5. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Cobalt your new avatar is weird.

6. pienyan

pienyan Muggle

High Score:
    I do like the fact that fonti has just kinda attached herself to Reg as a starting point to sort out the game, but I think that's fakeable. And I'd say I have general ~feels~ Jan is town, but that's it.

7. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

You like that fonti is agreeing with the reads she calls consensus?

I don't think it means a single thing.

Talking about it.

fontisian - explain the blab read. tell me why blab is higher than von, considering you normally have a fairly sure read on von fairly fast.

8. pienyan

pienyan Muggle

High Score:
    Not so much that, I generally just feel that town players are much more likely to be lost early D1 of a large game and thus be more inclined to go straight to someone they work well with and focus mostly on interacting with them (even if the reads they arrive at are largely consensus). Scum players I tend to see have at least some direction in mind (see i.e. Cobalt with Jari).

I could easily be wrong but w/e, I mostly just wanted to toss it out there. I don't really have much for town reads atm.

9. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    @Pie - I disagree with your assessment of Cobalts play so far - I don't think he's had "Little substance" and find a lot of his reads and stances actually decently developed with reasoning that I'd argue is phrased better than my own on some reads. As for his #103, I think you can be in the mindset of "Get in the thread, mostly relax but just bounce reads and thoughts without being super serious while knowing you'll do a proper reread of it all and scumhunt later" and his post there and later on sort of fit that.

As for your "All his reads are town reads" well, um, hi? That's pretty much the same with me, the only scum read I've stated is on Jarizok and sort of a small one on Stanari although I think I agree with you in that it's more just "awkward posting" and some reads from her would help there. I also think you stating that all his reads are consensus-y is an unfair given he's the only? person to openly state a town read on me thus far and he was one of the that town read Vaimes outside of me earlier on.

I still have a weakish town read on Acio but I can actually folow and understand your reasoning behind scum reading him a lot more, I think the point about him 'bringing up new reasons' to focus on Vaimes is fair.

Alright game time; what's my alignment and why?

---------- Post automerged at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

And ftr, I don't think Fontisians posts to me about her reads is anywhere near as alignment indicative as you do given she posted it because I asked her of her reads. I also don't think she's the type that would be "lost" or "struggle" to post as either alignment here.

10. blab

blab Second Year

I dislike Cobalt's votes vs. the stuff he said.

---------- Post automerged at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

Fable's fontisian vote was bad
    Cobalts fontisian vote was bad
    Stanari's fontisian vote was bad

11. pienyan

pienyan Muggle

High Score:
    Which reads do you think he's made that have had actual substance? I focus almost entirely on scum reads for this, town reads are really easy to fake and write genuine reasons for as scum (in fact that's precisely the sort of thing where I like to come up with new, original content and reasoning for why someone is town, look how useful I am!!1) and I haven't seen anything in his town reads suggesting a natural progression either, just reads that he came up with because he wants to display a town read on i.e. you and that's it.

In #103 I specifically take issue with the fact that his angle on Jari reads really forced. "do you need to see a masseuse for those sore muscles after all this reaching or" is exactly the shallow sort of line I think is typical of scum when they want to make someone look bad without attempting to seriously engage at all - I would expect town to at least have some sort of thought process behind it, not playing seriously does not preempt someone from making those connections when they do happen to pick them up and he hasn't justified it since then besides just calling it "ugly" when it was brought up again. Do you disagree?

Don't know and I don't really care to try to read you this early into D1 when I just end up misleading myself more often than not attempting to do that. Ask me again later.

This is fair.

12. Quiddity

High Score:
    People leave RVS at different speeds.

---------- Post automerged at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

Vote: Vaimes

13. blab

blab Second Year

There is no RVS

14. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    pienyan; I feel like making the limitation that you're mostly focusing on scum reads with substance isn't factoring in the gamestate or what sort of player Cobalt is at all, you're not going to see walls of analysis behind his scum reads, it's just not how he plays. Like I stated in my prior post, I currently have one real scum read and even that one is a pretty weak one so I don't think it's unreasonable for him not to have any/many especially if the intention behind his posting yesterday was to get a feel off the thread and players which I completely buy being a thing.

If you need specifics, I liked his agreement that Vaimes was town at a time where the consensus inside the thread was arguably the other direction, I actually like his reasoning behind his read on me given it matches a lot with how he treated and read me last game before he got the clearance on me. I think he was one of the first to state that he felt okay with Acio as well and I think his explanation re; the issues with Jarizoks's posting are all on point. The masseuse comment isn't something I take issue with like you do, "reaching" "stretching" etc are commonly used terms around here and especially from Cobalt himself. I mean I can see where you're coming from with this read, I just don't think it's accurate re; the player/gamestate at all.

I haven't seen it yet from you but what do you make of Jarizok so far?

---------- Post automerged at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

Man, I'm really not liking your posts this game Q.

15. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

lynch cobalt

I don't think he'd come out and be so abrasive in basically every post as town.

16. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    [​IMG]

17. pienyan

pienyan Muggle

High Score:
    Umm let me amend something about #103 that I kinda left out before.

A non-negligible part of the reason I think it's forced is that Jari's post that it was in response to (#102) seemed to me like it was very obviously not-100%-serious. It felt like one of those statements where he thought there was maybe a hint of plausibility in it, but wasn't pushing it seriously.

It makes no sense to call that "reaching" as if it's something malicious in that context. He acted as though it was 100% serious the whole time, though, which just reads to me like it's something he looked at and thought "ooh I could comment on this" without trying to understand the post at all.

---------- Post automerged at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

I don't really care about "walls of text" in terms of scum reads, I mostly just care about seeing a thought process that I can follow and understand. The thought process he showed that I described above is not one of them.

I'll go take a second look at the stuff about Vaimes/you real quick.

18. Quiddity

High Score:
    Vote: pienyan

Really don't like this opening.

I don't like Regfan's reaction to it either, although that's presumptive on pienyan being town. It's too "I can't engage with this as looks bad, let's wait for others to step in."

---------- Post automerged at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 AM ----------

Some general thoughts:

Jan and Cobalt feel rather towny. Jan's attitude to the world, and the way he's poking around some players. Not sure what it is with Cobalt.

Stanari strikes me as off. I want to reexamine that in light of pie calling it awkward, as I have a tendency to attack bad over scummy.

Vaimes is off his usual self. Not so much scummy things, as his flavor is not pushing town vibes on me.

---------- Post automerged at 04:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Oh good, you're learning to read me. Good for you! :)

19. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    pienyan - Lets run through what happened quickly; Jarizok voted Adult as a RVS joke and then instantly moved it across to Vaimes implying he's scum reading him there -> I question him about his scum read and ask for an explanation -> He responds by stating that he's considering Vaimes/Myself as W/W and doesn't provide any answer / explanation behind his Vaimes scum read -> Cobalt calls his stance ugly/stretching which is very accurate, you finding him making that comment scummy is something I'm really struggling with here. While you're rereading wanted your read on Jarizok.

@Q - I don't think Pienyans initial post is alignment indicative whatsoever, I'm pretty sure she'd have thought about making a post like that pregame and gone ahead with it regardless of her alignment. Some context is that we frequently speak about games at happen at MS / about our past games and we know how each other play decently well, she knows tendencies in my scum game which is to drop off as scum later on thus that post.

---------- Post automerged at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

Eh, I don't like reading you in a "Does his reads and reasoning look good" "No, oh then he's probably town" manner since it's so easy to abuse as scum but at the same time it's a relatively accurate way to read you, just shitty all around. Would like some of your reads expanded on more when you're fully caught up with the thread, more notably your read on pie and Vaimes at the time.

20. pienyan

pienyan Muggle

High Score:
    I seriously don't see how it's hard to oppose early pressure on someone (Vaimes) and his town read on Acio didn't seem well-justified at all, he town read him based on a line of questioning that lasted like two posts and passed it off as "wanting an answer and chasing me down for it".

I would say the point about his read on you would be the strongest point, but I need to mull it over. Do you disagree with what I wrote about his stuff about you/Vaimes interactions coming from a place of inside info and not making much sense otherwise? (I also kinda wanna see a link for how he treated you last game if you want me to take a look at it, especially if you have an instance of him using specifically that sort of reasoning before.)

No read.

---------- Post automerged at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------
    Quiddity; Reasoning?

---------- Post automerged at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 AM ----------

I'm getting caught up in cross-posts here, give me a sec while I respond to your last post.

---------- Post automerged at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 AM ----------

My issue is mostly this:

This is Jari's post which Cobalt is referring to as "stretching". My issue is that the post seems very clearly tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be any serious accusation; it felt like the sort of tinfoil idea where you know it's tinfoil, but just say it anyway even knowing it's most likely not true.

Jari didn't really make any big deal over it or even bring it up again after that, but Cobalt kept pushing it like it was a serious thing. That's a huge part of why I think it just looks like Cobalt is stretching to find things to comment on here, since it's completely tone-deaf and ignores the context in favor of wanting to push an argument.