1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Mafia Game thread] What mafia is this?

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Sooh, May 31, 2018.

1. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

[​IMG]

2. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

It's reachy, but I somewhat like this - I feel like in the middle of a post trying to sort Gemma, it's the kind of thing wolf!Zen would either miss completely, or try to make hay of.
    --- Post automerged ---
    At the time, I had weakish wolfreads on both as I was catching up. Gemma's post highlighting that specific take on Miner's tone struck me as probably not something that's likely to come from a partner there, so like... could it be w/w anyway, or which read is wrong? is the thought there.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I believe you, and I'm kinda excited about it tbh.

Also seconding the Gemma read transitioning into a weak townread. For me, it's the fact that the initial hyper / over-compensating tone I think kind of... flows? Looking at Gemma's posts over a broader period of time this game, you can see kind of an ebb and flow of that hyperactivity, where it's tempered by slowing down and focusing on something. It reads fairly genuine.

The second is that just from how the thread has reacted to Gemma overall she feels kinda like an easy target / too consensus.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I thought your question about walls was rhetorical.
    --- Post automerged ---
    It's definitely forced but it also helps that it's dC, and this feels like a direct continuation of his champs game where I was like, his #1 defender in spec chat. He felt like an easy read then and he feels like an easy read now, and it's a good anchor point/something to sink my teeth into.

There's definitely an element of it being forced, though - like, I can say "in for extremely low effort" but it just doesn't seem to be in my DNA to be able to actually just.... relax and let things come when they come, not when the phase is this short and I'm looking at my schedule and I'm not gonna be able to live in the thread at any point (work today, traveling tomorrow).

It's an aspect of my game that I'd desperately like to amend, but it just feels intrinsic in my mafia DNA to like, want to help / want to be useful. So when I look at 72 hour phases and 400 posts before I even start catching up, I put a lot of pressure on myself to get current and start putting out actual sorting / useful posts.

Like, if we make it through D1 and all I've been able to do is shitpost here and there and just nibble around a few actual reads, I'm gonna feel shitty even if that should be a totally reasonable thing to do. No matter the rand there are a ton of good villagers in this game, just mathematically, so the game isn't in desperate need of me to swoop in and save the day or anything, but convincing my brain of that is another thing entirely.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Hm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that strikes me as a pretty fundamental shift away from how you've approached fonti in the other games I've played with both of you?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Gonna second this @Miner.

A sprinkle of this is fine, but making it a part of your game is uncomfortably close to codes/ciphers.
    --- Post automerged ---
    What's your stance on green eggs and ham?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Not something I really want to push at the moment, but if Miner flips w I'd look at Jan with some pretty squint-y eyes for this post.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Compare/contrast Miner thoughts to Jan's above. This feels more... carefree? He's also not being directly asked, just kinda popping in with no real weight, which is a decent look.
    --- Post automerged ---
    That's... just town, right?

Like, who comes up with this as a wolf? Knowing I'm town this would just be the most bizarre angle in the world to take, the most circuitous way imaginable to make a "this person feels off" type post.

Someone sanity check me on this?
    --- Post automerged ---
    If I had to bet the game on two people being town in this game it'd be dC and Tammy.

Gemma and Zen... pretty confident there's at most one wolf between them, as their longer exchanges have felt pretty unaligned and Zen's meta focus on her would be pretty ???? coming from partners. Gun to my head, v/v, wouldn't completely blow my mind if one of them was a wolf though. Would shoot Gemma if I had to shoot one of them right now.

I'm kinda blanking on an independent read of Zenzao. I think I liked one thing he did, but a lot of his posts are just about things I'm not super interested in and kind of hard to retain.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Granted, I don't believe I've read a Zenzao wolf game, but my conception of him as a player is that when he's a wolf, he'd very much be "the best defense is a good offence" type of wolf.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Ehhhh. I'm not sure I buy this.

I know it's Von, but he's felt very peripheral to this game, even for him. Lazy pocket attempts over and over would not exactly shock me as the tack he'd take in this playerlist.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Where do I know this image from? It's bugging the crap out of me.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Reverse image search is coming up empty.

4. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

But you push the things that you think you would push as town or not push as scum?!

He obviously didn't want to enter the thread with a fluffpost and just hang around.

I get your point, but I don't think it is rocksolid.

5. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Work has no hold on me any longer! I now have 14 hours to fill. You guys might get a bit of my attention during this period.

Who’s the scums?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Slaah is nearly always bad. Doesn’t even have to be particularly weird.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Hot take: Vaimes is town.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Tammy also town. Or scum with Zen, that’d be hilarious.

6. Miner

Miner Order Member

No time except to day that they're anime openings and if that's code then I'll stop. @Sooh

7. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Bad reasons are because I usually spend all D1 waffling on them and eventually giving them a pass unless I strongly feel they’re scum.

Newcomb, being around for RVS and then V/LA’ing for basically the rest of D1 is gonna put me on the sidelines a bit (I forgot this wasn’t MTGS deadlines for a good while there :V). I’ll have to be top poster toMorrow.

8. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

A) You haven't said anything about my mindset or whether or not you think I, in this context, am a wolf making a defensive, hedge-y argument and leaving myself an out, all of that.
    B) I have come across the same type of smarmy cocksure player as Fable too many times to count and I have had this argument with that player too many times to count. They are always in love with their reads and think they are really great and haven't even opened their mind to the possibility that there is another way to see things. My response is always the same as this. It's not actually defensive at all, it's me being sick of talking to people who don't care about actually communicating with the other person or giving back what they expect or anything else that shows that you respect the other person.
    C) You've said yourself that hedging is something that everyone does and what distinguishes wolves hedging from town hedging (usually) is that town are more open about the fact that they are hedging. That doesn't seem to have entered into your evaluation at all and I think it should have.
    D) Overall I think it's good that you're making this post as a thing because I recognize it on a generic level as a post that comes more from a town mindset, but the way you went about it is not good. I don't think I'll be able to know what that means about your alignment until I have more from you to figure out where your head is at in this game. It's particularly interesting that it came after I called you out on your read on me, which you didn't respond to.

Why do you want a readlist? I don't understand how a readlist would help you get a sense of where I'm at in the game any more than the posts I have already made would. Anyone can list a few names in a certain order and pretend like it actually means something when they haven't said anything about why the names are where they are. I've talked about pretty much all my reads, less about my townreads because I don't like talking about townreads early very much.

Gemma

Tammy
    dC
    Vaimes

Zenzao

fluff
    fonti

Cobalt
    Fable

Jarizok
    Newcomb
    Jan

Miner

What did you learn?
    --- Post automerged ---
    That much was already obvious. You're missing the point which is that it makes less sense as an organic process that you would have there as town and more sense as you as a wolf trying to imitate your town process.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'm sorry what? Two nothings "scumread" me, by which I mean they omgused me in the stupidest way possible, and Zenzao is freaking out because I'm playing the same way I do when I'm town which somehow means I might be scum. Oh and Jan vaguely dislikes me but what else is new. Multiple people have defended me / commented on how stupid the votes on me are, including Zenzao. The only reason any of those people are wary of me is because I'm making a lot of noise and no one likes people who make a lot of noise. Where exactly is the consensus part? I'm an easy target? Really? That's your read on me?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Nope nope nope you are not real. Zenzao and I have barely talked at all there's no way you have that unaligned read.

Vote: Newcomb

9. Miner

Miner Order Member

Yeah I'm doing dumb things at colossalcon.

You'll have to wait til tmrw for anything.

10. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

You can also burn.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Am looking forward to it.
    --- Post automerged ---
    @Vaimes I hope you're actually going to give reads. I'm townreading your demeanor and I feel like you'd be doing things differently if you were mafia but I just thought more about my reasoning on you and it's really really weak so if you could not just disappear for the rest of the day without contributing that would be super helpful.

11. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Ahahahaha

Hint: You posted it to me in an older game.

12. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Gemma

Tammy
    dC

Zenzao

fluff
    fonti
    Vaimes

Cobalt
    Fable

Jan

Miner

Newcomb
    Jarizok

That's better. Also colorful. Also worse, because I want to feel good about more people. Gr.

13. dichotomousCreator

dichotomousCreator Second Year

High Score:
    Huh. Fable,
    Well, she didn't fake it in the last witch hunt and I actually think she'd have a hard time doing so because she'd be genuinely sad about rolling scum. So it'd be an uphill battle to even prevent that showing through.
    --- Post automerged ---
    ...I have no idea why it saved that "Huh, Fable,"
    --- Post automerged ---
    called it :v
    --- Post automerged ---
    Gemma, how many games have you played with Jarizok?

14. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Hi dC.

Let's talk about something. I could use the company.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think he was in the game where I was scum, and I spectated two other of his games.

15. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    Alright, I just want you to be aware that he's one of those "seems scummy as town" people. Don't dismiss the read you have out of hand, but do be aware of that going forward.

If you wanna talk about something...how about Newcomb? He has a lot more content than just the thing you jumped on him for.
    --- Post automerged ---
    ...wait, I somehow missed that the whole post there was Newcomb quotes. Lemme read it properly >_>

16. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Am already aware of it, thanks.

Ok sure where do you want to start? Do you have any thoughts about him or a read on him? I posted more stuff on him than that, you could also talk about those things if you like?
    --- Post automerged ---
    dC, read my ISO and ctrl+f Newcomb you nerd.

17. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    protip: if I ask someone about something it's because either I'm too lazy to look it up myself or I specifically want their spin on it for evaluation reasons. Obviously I don't usually say which so people aren't sure if they're being evaluated. Although as I noted I completely overlooked that you had like a whole case there, which looking back...is actually pretty good. So scrap that, I think I now know where you're at and I think I actually kind of agree. I was getting a "generic Newcomb town tone" but I'd like to hear him answer your concerns now.

How about Fable? You mention that's he's smarmy and cock-sure as town, and I'm...kind of missing his town vibe in this game, but I could REALLY use a second opinion given my recent history.

18. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

That wasn't a case.
    --- Post automerged ---
    You should talk about your thoughts, dC.

19. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    Idk how I come across as too sure of myself when I have like two reads.

20. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year