1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mountainous Mafia #3: Desperate times, desperate measures

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Vaimes, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

Because he just wasn't villagery at all?

Tug-of-war wasn't a specific set of interactions, just each of you felt like you had your own ideas that you were holding to your chest while struggling over each new idea that you guys hit on-- the more enclosed and introverted part of the game compared to say tom/m+/so on.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Apparently this is still within Fluff's range, but I think actually putting some pressure on would actually have an impact in terms of making him not just post monostich about whatever the most relevant consensus is. I have a pretty good picture of how he reacts as a wolf to being suspected, but I don't think he's been made to get to that point and I'd like to see what happens when he gets there. Because going on with the status quo is just nothing.

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

You can have a townread for fluff reasons.

3. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Not a lot for me, but given that you wrote "and avoiding getting lynched without partners" when talking about how stressful being town is, I assumed it was for you?
    Noted.

oh boo.

Tom, the only thing I know about Carson Daly is that he's a judge in The Voice, so you will have to elaborate on that.

As for vibes, here are my thoughts on M7, grouped in no way whatsoever:

-He’s probably among the most likely players to have shot GH last Night.
    Taken into account how GH has a reputation to be an amazing player (though I’m not sure how much the relatively self-contained DLP population would be aware of that), this probably doesn’t mean much: Most would have shot him.
    Still, there was a lot of blatant buddying between the two, with GH doing that little “greeting trap” during their early interaction (which M7 fell in the middle on) and what appeared to be M7’s strong desire to get GH to townclear him immediately. Also townclearing him in turn (without using the word townclear) with the line:
    The way this is worded, the reasons behind it, and specially that last bolded part are off for reasons I can’t exactly verbalize yet, but there was a lot of nervous overthinking in how this was worded to not look suspicious.
    I have similar feelings to the "If you want to tell me, you will" line.
    Scum perspective sees GH coming in and overcompensates in attempts to not look suspicious for him (M7 already joke-claimed trauma from playing with him prior) and then immediately kills him that Night.

-readwall on #334 was a large analysis of players like you and keldeo, despite having read with only 150 posts at that point. This was addressed with:
    Which is fair, but transparency doesn’t equal to in-depth analysis? A transparent wall made from 150 posts still only has the content of 150 posts.
    That said this isn’t obviously scummy, so :shrug:

-#435 is the follow-up read list and what probably is the most massive post in the game. It is hard to get through it, and my eyes kinda glaze over. There are several unnecessary comments (Such as the questions towards Gemma, which have long since been made irrelevant), and a massive paragraph on each player, which I appreciate the effort.
    Keldeo, Umami and Cuth were the most interesting parts of that wall for different reasons.
    This is the one you compared to Carson Daly, I’m assuming is because of the quantity of content vs. the what actually sticks, followed by the boast of “I am town”? I.e. the hyper awareness of how his moves look to the rest of us?
    The most important part here is that Umami is in the Town Group, if in one of the lower tiers.

-No strong mention of Umami one way or the other until 562, where he changed his vote to her, citing that he liked my breakdown of her (go me!) and proceeded to ISO her here. It was only after that he grew into the lynch, though had some commentary about it with other players.
    In restrospect, not sure why this was done: Even in my case I pointed out that this was partially contingent on Miner, and I made posts stating that Miner should go first (which Miner agreed to lol) so it’s not like he was following my lead, m7 also had him as scummier for some time.
    I also don’t know why he didn’t switch back to Miner as the eoD approached – I don’t think they are w/w.

-very interested in interacting with others ("dont wanna do ISO, wanna interact"), something scum probably wouldn’t show an obvious preference to – specially one with a lot of hyper and nervous energy rolling off them.

-frustration at miner eoD felt legitimate

-overall, placing deliberate care on outputs
    --- Post automerged ---
    Do you need me to shut up on Keldeo for now? 'Cause I was going to dive on him but you seem to be doing a thing with Miner?

4. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

... Thanks?

5. Grapefruit21

Grapefruit21 Muggle

If you assume that Miner is scum (which I'm not so it's two buddies in that same group).
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also hi Rhand!

6. Sloth

Noted, thanks.
    What does this mean in regards to your read fire (now Rhand)? Do you see Seratin/fire as a team? If not, is the one comment of Seratin's enough to overturn your read or have you seen more?

7. Miner

Miner Order Member

Fire is still pretty much at the bottom of my readslist. I dont know Rhand, so I'll have to wait for him to catch up. Good thing I'm not going to try to wagon him for reasons outside of his realm of control though!

I dont want to talk about the Seratin thing right now for ~reasons~.

8. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Have you had a chance to take a deeper look at the Keldeo stuff you mentioned?

Other than Keldeo, and you being unsure on Miner, is there anyone else you think may be scum?

9. Sloth

I'm totally extroverted.
    Also, kay.
    --- Post automerged ---
    rhand's a rat bastard who will mindmeld with you an entire game and then turn out not to be town.

Also, kay.

Gonna sleep, will be more active tomorrow.
    Ask me stuff to get the ideas flowing, things are starting to stall and fuck that.

10. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Well thank you. I agree, it would be nice to see a bit more from you. Proactive would be even better.

To help you get started, can you talk to me about what you saw that caused the change in how you were viewing GemMiner & Keldeo mentioned in this post?

11. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Im not sure its lack of substance though. The lack to me is more...impact? Hutzpah?
    Lack of followup. Not ruffling any feathers.
    Theyre all parts of the same whole.

How much of that do you think is just NAI keldeo?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Oh
    Yeah mafia gets more fun/less stressful when im under pressure as either alignment. Were already getting towards a point where im so townread ill either start acting out or losing motivation

That was a reason its harder to be town than scum. More to keep track of when you know less, more people whos reactions you have to guess, etc

12. Osieorb18

Osieorb18 Muggle

To be fair, I also consistently have terrible progressions as any alignment because I clump my reads all at once.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I didn't get the chance to say this during the last phase, but I didn't townread Miner. I just said that they look better than Gemma. That may change with ISO dives, which are happening slowly. (I have surprisingly much to do despite the quarantine.)

Keldeo had some post that felt very pure and I wanted to look into his posts and see if I found more of that. I haven't gotten around to him in my ISO dives, but I think he could go either way.

Tom could also go either way, but I'm just sorta concerned about his alignment in general since I think that there's more pretense to his play than might otherwise be the case.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Meh. More like I'm oddly feeling like Wisp in reading you this game instead of having my more reliable mannerism read on you and I don't understand or like that.

13. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Ok no carson daly was a generalized read of his overall play but if i said it after that post im sire some of it was in there

And here we go because we actually agree here maybe...

I didnt know he was on the voice. Perhaps someone will tell me if this still applies there.

Back in the day Carson Daly hosted Total Request Live on MTV. Theyd play the top 10 music videos, have a bunch of attractive college kids hanging out, and someone would show up to promote a new video/cd, talk to carson a little, perform a track or two for the coeds and have a good time.

Now Carson, being a fairly neutral beige sort of dude, sort of matched the guests. Like, Jessica Simpson comes on and his southern came out. Jay Z performed, Carson got a little hood. Ricky Martin and hes in a super positive good mood. Marilyn Manson and hes an edgelord.
    I think he steadily lost his own personality the longer he did that show.
    Hope he got it back...

Anyway

M+7 interactions with people seem tailored to them.
    More than being <generallly obsequious>
    Which is one of the bits that i think is just playstyle

Hold on i was gonna wait on this let me go drag up some examples

14. Osieorb18

Osieorb18 Muggle

Do you think town don't word their posts to not look suspicious? Particularly medium-to-high skill players?

15. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    @Osieorb18 i think i already said this to grape.

Youre coming from playing with me in a place where im listened to, respected, and i regularly get by on charm and reputation alone.

This is the place that likes to lynch me d1.
    In fact, ive been lynched here 4 more times than on mtgs
    In <25% of total games played...

Youre not really gonna get the same playstyle. Im not convinced my mtgs playstyle would work here just on grammar rules. But definitely not with the playerlists
    In my personal opinion, what generally works best on dlp is scummier/less natural/whatever you want to call it and normally excludes my most transparent moments, but im in some esoteric ways actively subverting that this game

16. Rhand

Rhand Muggle

Is an aggressive tone part of Sloth’s normal meta?

17. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

I know the busy feeling, #OfCourseThisIsWhenI'mConsideredEssential. Maybe my confusion comes from how I tend to categorize my reads. I usually work hard to build up a few town reads I'm pretty confident in, which is my don't lynch group, and then the rest (while categorized for priority based on scumminess) is my POE group (you can see what I mean based on the line in the middle of my rainbow yesterDay). So when you said you jumped then from your bottom tier (most scummy) in you initial list, up to "I don't want to lynch," that implied a larger jump to me.

A couple of days later, what are your current thoughts on Miner?

Since you haven't gotten to your Keldeo iso, I won't ask you for any more on that now, but I am eagerly awaiting the result.

I'm not at all familiar with MTGS meta, but based on my experience with tom, I think he's been pretty transparent me

18. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    First reads list:

Bit about me is very meandery and uses too many words.
    Fontis bit is terse and feelsy
    Keldeo bit basically could have been written by keldeo
    This whole interaction with gh is the dynamic i called "nervous promdate talking to a protective parent"
    M7 gets (and i mean this with utmost disrespect to @GeneralHankerchief ) more boomery talking to him. Ah yes tell me some stories please townread me Mr Hankerchief
    --- Post automerged ---
    Generalized feeling m+7 is trying to get specific things with these reads/posts.

Feels crafted <for specific audiences>
    --- Post automerged ---
    Generalized feeling m+7 is trying to get specific things with these reads/posts.

The readslist is all but crafted to make me/fonti/keldeo go "yes yes this
    Not gonna quote a bunch of this massive post, but the "audiences" for some of this
    The read of keldeo, obviously the @s to keldeo, clearly meant for keldeo above anyone else to me.

I continue to see signs of the same in reads of me and gh, and less so but still present for sloth. These reads feel meant to be read by the people theyre about.

Gemma read, that's what feels closest to just m+7. The scumreads in general have much less of this.
    Which i think makes it more likely intentional?
    --- Post automerged ---
    The world where its not intentional
    This might tell you something:

Ive played a game there as a spider. Posted entirely in flavor text from shards of alara block. Only hip hop lyrics. Only ocean/sailing metaphors.
    Im only giving you examples from games i endgamed AND won.

Based on your current read of me, perhaps youd like it.
    But can you fucking imagine an all old-school dlp game letting me get away with that bullshit.

Also id like to say that mimefia is the most "naturally" ive ever been able to play here

19. Keldeo

Keldeo Muggle

Hi, I'm here for a bit.

I haven't read toDay deeply. I feel like keeping my townreads on Sloth, tom, and somewhat Grape from yesterday. I got the feeling from real-timing EOD that Miner was town, but I haven't reread what happened.

20. Rhand

Rhand Muggle

Vote Slothful

I’m caught up with D1.

I have a pretty big town core. I read a big part of Day 1 without knowing the flips, and I am amazed how strongly Fonti was being town cleared and how Umami became a wagon. I had a light scum read on Fonti and a very strong town read on Umami.

With the Gemma / Miner slot being massively scumread, the Umami push almost must have a mafia near it’s base, I’m thinking tom.

When I finish my catch up I will case Sloth. I already had a scumread on him, and the happenings near EoD confirmed that read.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Catch up done. Taking a break now.