1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Stargate Etheria by Starfox5 - T - Stargate/She-Ra

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Download, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Stargate Etheria
    Author: Starfox5
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-fi/fantasy
    Library Category: Other fandoms
    Pairings: Canon She-Ra
    Summary:
    Link: AO3

Pro:
    • Is one of the few fics I have found that presents a realistic stargate disclosure.
    • Characters are well fleshed out.
    • Neither fandom is wanked.
    • Seems to avoid most normal Stargate tropes which is strange given the author can't do the same for Harry Potter.
    Con:
    • It's written by Starfox5.
    • The stargate disclosure feels like it is taking a long time, which is probably realistic, but does seem to drag on at times. It is mixed up with some other things, but they don't seem like enough.
    • Progressive issues feel a bit too switched on for late 1990s/early 2000s, even for Daniel.
    I like how ruthlessly pragmatic Kinsey is. As soon as he realises disclosure is happening, he moves to profit from it.

I like that America isn't just breezing through this and is forced to confront its political issues.

The Sam/that Russian guy (which might not happen) feels clunky. I can't tell if that is deliberate (like a botched attempt at a honey trap) or not. His "Russianess" comes off a bit strong, but is at about canon Stargate levels.

Disclosure really should have been broken up a lot more. For example, they could still be going through the stargate and do some missions. Like the Etherians might want to check it out or do some scouting, which would really break this stuff up.

There is background stuff happening, but not enough focus on it. For example, they are moving the stargate but it has only gotten a few lines. There are riots in the Middle East but it only gets a few lines. Russia and China are clearly wanting an Etherian alliance, but besides from some early meetings, nothing else has been covered.

Despite being a bit long, the politics are realistic in how difficult negotiations can be.

3.5/5 with the rating going up if the disclosure and politics arc wraps up soonish or is broken up by something major.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am completely baffled why anyone would write a gritty, political treatment of the Stargate universe... while also doing it as a crossover with the incredibly camp and ungrounded She-Ra. It's such a tonal and thematic clash.

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Much of the story surrounds the culture clash. Lots of misunderstandings on both sides. Also I'm pretty sure the last season of She-Ra was not so ungrounded given the who Glimmer becoming ruler plot line?

4. KGB

KGB Headmaster

So that was God damned lie.

I skimmed through the unecessarly long period they spend on Eritrea but misspelled to get to the part on Earth and the Princesses are essentially grandstanding while every earth politician is gaping at their magnificence.

The She-Ra part of the xover is treated akin to Hermione in Harmony, or Harry in Indy!Harry gics. Where the righteousness of the message is supposed to overwrite the complete bafoonery with which it is delivered.

The idea that anime style idealistic teenagers would meet more realistic political system was amusing to me. What good is magical power when a competent politician can dictate their every action through subtle suggestion and flattery.

Don't know why I expected that in a Starfox fic thought...