1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete It Runs in the Family by justprompts - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by BottledEntropy, Sep 13, 2022.

1. BottledEntropy

BottledEntropy Muggle

Title: It Runs in the Family
    Author: justprompts
    Rating: T
    Genre: Parody/Humor
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: Background only
    Summary: "Her name is...Hermione," Lucius pronounces the name very carefully, watching Voldemort as if for some reaction. He has none to offer. "She's in my son's year. And she claims to be your daughter." Crack!AU where Lord Voldemort thinks Hermione Granger is his daughter.
    Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/31694186/chapters/78441389

This fic is exactly what it says on the tin, and I found it hilarious. I'd say the letters exchanged between Voldemort and Hermione shortly after his resurrection is the funniest part for me, although I was chuckling near-constantly while reading this. I love this Hermione as well, and the other characters were fun to be around as well.

There are a handful of background pairings (all M/M or F/F, just as a heads-up) that may drive off some, but they didn't bother me since A) it's a crack fic and B) they're only mildly relevant to the story.

I'd give it a 4.5 rounded up, with the half point missing because the premise does require a lot of suspension of disbelief/happenstance even by crack fic standards. Still an entertaining read I'd recommend to anyone I know.

2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

This is exactly what it says it is. And like Crack!anything, it sets an incredibly low bar of trying to provide am mild chuckle of entertainment. It just barely clears that bar.
    The story is told through 2-10 sentence vignetes, each one perfectly serviceable on their own, but trying to build a collective story out of them is more akin to frankenstien's monster. To wit, if you wish, you can read it out of order, and not much would be lost in the understanding. The story is lacking deeply in the sinew that makes us care about any character. It is amusing to see hermione get hoisted by her own petard, but I have not been asked to emotionally invest in anything, so it has the same impact as seeing bella acting maternal. It is absurdism trying to find order.
    This is the closest thing to a fanfic drive-by that I've seen in a while. There is a story there, perhaps even a full one, but you'd need a forensics team to discover it.
    2/5. It does what it sets out to do, but it is carried solely by the unique premise. And I will credit the author for not only finishing the story but even adding an epilogue.

3. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

I'm not generally fond of crack, but this fic does commit to its not-completely-uninspired premise in a way that is humorously absurd, which is more than what I can say for most crack. The resolutions given to a lot of the characters are somewhat lacking in satisfaction and creativity. Little tension is to be found throughout the entire story, and what little that is found is released in unsatisfying ways.

Other than the flaws of execution for this dubiously interesting premise, the fic itself is written adequately, enough that I was able to read it to the end and mostly enjoy myself along the way. Were I more inclined towards crack fics to begin with, then this might be a 3.5 or a 4, but I'm not. As such, I'll give it a 3/5.

4. fire

fire Order Member

I saw this and thought - holy shit, it's that reddit prompt. And indeed it was so inspired. Will definitely check this out and see whether this is crack that deserves its name.

5. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Started strong and finished weak. I thought the premise was amusing, and the dramatic irony of the set-up created a fun sense of anticipation. Even as crack, though, everything slowly came unglued once Voldemort returned. It felt like the last two chapters were written in a hurry, leaving the reader in a dirty alley with a heroin needle instead of a crack pipe.

Decent writing, and Hermione's character voice was fun in the first chapter.

2.5/5