1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ackner

Ackner First Year

This is a pretty good series of short stories featuring a Rhaegar won AU. It is a little AO3-y (angsty at the start with an overly happy end) but it's still p good overall, the Jon installment is particularly solid, with some good worldbuilding and interesting motifs. There's one scene between Jon and Lyanna in that installment that makes the entire series very much worth the read imo. Worth checking out - https://archiveofourown.org/series/246463 . If you dislike pure romance/angst and like more adventure oriented stuff maybe skip to the last installment.

I've also been reading this, it's a Rhaegar won AU that follows a knighted bastard Jon in a very Dunk and Egg esque fashion. The prose gets a bit dizzyingly fast paced sometimes, and there's nothing to write home about quite yet but it is absent of most of the cliches this fandom endlessly engages in. https://archiveofourown.org/works/46209451

2. aceflyers

aceflyers Muggle

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13382899/1/By-the-Sword Jon Snow goes south + no white walkers AU. The first half is pretty standard for the trope and pulls a lot from the book; rec'ing because the writing and characterizations are alright, and because the author has taken the story in an interesting direction (and has improved on the writing side) in the second half.

edit: story is 100k in and hasn't reached the whispering woods

3. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

spoiler tag how the story gets interesting in the second half please. Just so I don't waste my time trying to get to it

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

It's a really, really slowly paced story. Which I understand, it's meant to develop Jon's character, actually have him grow. I like that. But man, that last chapter is a real bitch and now I'll probably have to wait like a few years before rereading the story with new chapters. I mean, this started being written in 2019, five years ago, so yeah, it's not gonna be ending anytime soon.

Jon gets brought up to the Eyrie with Catelyn Stark and Tyrion, Catelyn basically promises him squiring with Brynden Tully after he saves her from the mountain tribe attack, but ultimately when push comes to shove Jon steps up to being Tyrion's champion in combat in the Eyrie, his opponent being Brynden Tully. That's the last chapter.