1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Q3 Bitesize Competition - Week 2

Discussion in 'Quarter 3' started by Lindsey, Sep 21, 2024.

?

Prompt: Dialogue

1. Opening line of dialogue to a story.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. High-Stakes Revelation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Short dialogue with minimal use of tags and beats, using voice to determine speaker

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. A conversation via Floo

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Snape's speech as Headmaster on the first day of school in Deathly Hallows

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Welcome to the 2024 Q3 Bitesize Competition - Week 2

Topic(s): Short dialogue with minimal use of tags and beats, using voice to determine speaker

Good Example: https://www.mit.edu/people/dpolicar/writing/prose/text/thinkingMeat.html

Word count: Under 500 words

Bitesize writing competitions will differ from our typical writing competitions. When we do bitesize writing competitions, each small prompt will have around five days for everyone to write a scene (or even just a sentence). During the weekend, we will compare and review each others entries. None of these prompts should take more than 500 words to write. If you have no interest in even wanting to write, don't vote.

Deadline: Saturday, September 28th at 11:59pm (23:59) PST

Discussion: Sunday, September 29th

Send your scenes/sentences to @Lindsey once you're done. You can have up to TWO entries. On the day they are due, I will post all the entries in a single post. During the weekend, we can discuss each others entries and how to improve them.

Voting Rules
    We will not have official voting like normal competitions. Instead we will have a discussion on how to improve the scenes. If you wish, you can pick your favorite entry.

Got an idea for a future prompt? Put it in this thread!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2024
  2. Lindsey

For the few who voted, thank you.

The prompt is:
    Short dialogue with minimal use of tags and beats, using voice to determine speaker

3. Threadmarks: Entries
    Lindsey

Entry One:
    “Professor, I think I’m stuck in a time loop.”

“A time loop, you say? What gives you that impression?”

“I’ve... relived the same day six times now. It always ends the same way—someone dies.”

“How curious. And what makes you so certain?”

“I know things I shouldn't. Professor McGonagall wanted to take a leave of absence to be a duellist and she's only told you and Flitwick. 20 years ago Mr Filch tried to exorcise Peeves using knock-turn alley potions but it just made him look green for a month."

"These are curious but quite conclusive details. I do believe you, Harry. Have you come to me for help before?"

"No, that's the problem. Usually, you're not around, not even Professor McGonagall or Snape knows where you are. I must have done something differently this time around and it had unintended developments."

"Professor Snape, Harry. But most curious indeed. I wasn't planning on going anywhere today but I cannot speak for other iterations of Dumbledore. Now that I'm in the loop if you'll excuse an old man's humour, what would you have me do?”

“I don’t know… help me break it?”

“Ah, if only such loops were so easily undone. But no, there is no simple spell to release you. This is the first time I encountered time travel on this scale. However…”

“However?”

"However I'll have to visit the Hogwarts Library and research this peculiar predicament of yours. I’m afraid I don’t know how to break your loop. But, Harry… never lose hope. Each turn of time brings you closer to the answer."

"Thank you, Professor"

“You have done well to come to me. Next time, it needn’t take as long."

“Next time?”

“When the loop begins again, tell me the phrase ‘Loopty loop Foxy Phoenix’ and I will know you're a student stuck in a time loop, and we may skip parts of this conversation. Time is ironically, of the essence.”

"Headmaster, you have a passphrase for this?"

"What kind of Headmaster would I be if I didn't Harry."

Entry Two
    “At it, again?”

“I—I didn’t see you, sir. Apologies.”

“Strange how mundane your surroundings become with such powers at the end of your wand.”

“It’s nothing. Not enough, anyway.”

“Nothing? I know a few seasoned witches and wizards who would argue it’s the foundation of the most powerful magic there is.”

“And you disagree, sir?”

“I simply think they work with a different definition of magic in mind than I do. Who’s to say which one of us got it right.”

“No offense to those wizards, but isn’t the answer clear? I mean you’re…as powerful as anyone. More so.”

“What do you think?”

“Why does it matter? I’m nowhere near being powerful, obviously, if this is what you call foundations.”

“It matters because you’re practicing magic in the middle of the night in the abandoned classroom, while everyone else is deep into content sleep. It matters because I am asking you. It matters because you clearly have an opinion on the topic. So, shall we try again, what do you think?”

“Very well, then. I think it’s all abstract when it comes to definitions and it’s all definite when it comes to deads. What good is magic if we are unable to master it?

“So, for that argument’s sake, if I were to tell you there are more powerful magics you are yet to discover, wouldn't you believe it?”

“Given who you are, I’d search for proof, and then decide.”

“Ah, always so distrustful. Always so guarded. Have you ever tried asking, instead of searching on your own? We’re at school, after all.”

“Asking what?”

“How would I know? But I am here, and so are you. And I’m—how did you put it—as powerful as anyone. Wouldn’t by that alone my word be proof enough?”

“What are those more powerful magics, then? Nothing in the library, nor in my enquiries with other professors ever suggested there’s more to it.”

“There is always more to magic. Has it ever occurred to you that you may be looking in the wrong places for it?”

“If asking you is the wrong place then I doubt there’s the right one. Sir.”

“An assignment, then, since you are currently in breach of rules, and some punishment must be dished. When do you have my class next?”

“Thursday, after lunch, sir.”

“Very well. I want you to pen down your discoveries by then. Search not in the books, but among those you call friends. Not from figures you deem authority, but from a peer you have never spoken to. Look for the magic that requires no wand, but emotion instead. We may yet both be surprised by what you unveil.”

“Perhaps, sir, but aren’t we back to the abstract again?”

“I don’t think we ever steered far away from it. Now fix the destruction you’ve wrought to this poor classroom, and off to bed. Why, you might even have enough for an introduction of your assignment before you reach your dorms. Good night.”

Entry Three
    "Tell me you didn’t touch anything."

"I didn’t touch anything."

"..."

"I might’ve bumped into a thing."

"A *thing*? What thing?"

"I don’t know! Some ancient-looking orb or whatever the hell it was. It was already wobbly! I didn't stop to ponder"

"We’re in the Department of Mysteries. You can’t just go around bumping into random spheres!"

"Like I meant to. It’s not my fault they leave these cursed objects lying around."

"Cursed?"

"Could have been yeah. it… well, it glowed. And now my hand feels all tingly."

"Tingly? What kind of tingly?"

"How many types of tingles are there? Just *tingly*."

"Let me see your hand. Is it getting shinier?!"

"It’s fine! Look if I wave it really fast it looks normal."

"We don’t have time for your jokes. We’re supposed to be finding the prophecy—"

"It'll be hard to sneak around with his hand turning into a lantern"

"Don’t encourage him! What use is writing protocols if you won't follow them"

"Can you please fix it, love? I've learned my lesson I promise."

"That's what you said last time. Maleficium reficium, Finite Incantatem- You really are an idiot - Malus Purgo..."

"In my defence, we had a couple of elf wines last time before the last one, I don't remember what happened"

"I knew I shouldn’t have brought you two here."

"You didn't bring us, mate. We just caught you sneaking off, again"

"Can you blame me, this was supposed to be a simple grab and smash."

"Look if my hand falls off or something, we’ll sort it out later. Let’s find that prophecy before someone notices we’re here."

"Just once, I’d like to leave the Department of Mysteries without a new curse."

"Stop having prophecies written about you then, this is the third one this month."

Entry Four
    She knocked, then stuck her head in when the spelled bell indicated she could enter.

"You called, sir?"

"Sit down," the Minister said.

"Yes, sir. Would you mind if I asked, sir, is this about -"

"Hold on - close the door behind you. How do I activate these bloody privacy spells again? Never mind that, anyway... Merlin, this has been such a mess..."

A quiet click as the door closed. She set herself down in the usual chair.

"The door's closed, sir. Minister, please, could you tell me, is this about the Potter boy?"

"Of course it bloody well is about the Potter boy! What does he think he's getting at, with a stunt like that? He'll make a mockery of us all, screaming and shouting in a panic like that in front of the international guests!"

"Well... if you'll allow me to offer a personal opinion, sir? Hem hem. You remember the subject of our discussions, when you told me you were aiming for re-election? I thought it was a marvellous idea, and I told you that, but I did have a few reservations, I said at the time."

"At the Hog's Head? I think I remember that. You were talking... about the muggles, as I recall?"

"Hem hem. Yes, that too, but I was more talking about the warnings that I wanted to give you about these sorts of things, Minister. You see... Oh, I probably shouldn't say this. It's a rather silly thought, really. I must have had a few glasses of sherry too much back then. Never mind, Minister."

"Just say what you mean. It won't leave these four walls."

"Hem hem. We both know that the Potter boy is very occupied with his fame, sir, don't we? We had that incident two years ago, which he never properly thanked you for. Or at least that's how I recall it. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, sir."

"Hmph. Yes, that's true. I wouldn't have minded a little thank-you... A bottle of one of Ogden's better whiskeys, maybe. Certainly could have used a few drops right now."

"Well, sir, I had this tiny little niggle of a thought, you see. If the Potter boy wants publicity, then why don't we simply give it to him?"

"What?"

"It's really quite simple, Minister. The boy's clearly not quite right in the head, and Dumbledore's enabling him no matter what. I think that's quite clear, now. Hem hem. What he needs is a little touch of reality, no? Just a little reminder.And then we can swoop in and simply offer to lighten the sentence to a simple slap on the wrist. In one little stroke, he'll be putty in our hands."

"I... I don't know if that'll play all that well with the public. Potter's still -"

"Potter's just a boy, Minister. We push him a little bit and we'll scare him straight. Why, I've got just the thing."

Entry Five

“You know you’re supposed to wait, right?”

“Wait for what?”

“For the candles to flicker before you make a wish.”

“What are you talking about?”

“On birthday cakes. You’re not supposed to blow out the candles straight away. You have to wait until they flicker—means the magic’s ready.”

“That’s ridiculous. They’re candles, Ron, not some ancient artifact.”

“You’d think that, but it’s a wizarding thing. Tradition. The flicker means the charm’s listening, like it’s tuning in to what you’re wishing for.”

“And if I blow them out before?”

“Well, then the wish doesn’t count, does it?”

“I’ve never heard of this.”

“Yeah, ‘cause you’ve been rushing through it! You’ve got to give it time. It’s like… letting the magic settle. If you’re too quick, it’s just smoke.”

“And this has actually worked for you?”

“Loads of times. Fred and George swore by it. Every birthday, they waited for that little flicker. And trust me, they got most of what they wanted. Except when they wished for a dragon.”

“A dragon?”

“Yeah, but Mum said no to that. Obviously.”

“So… let me get this straight. If I wait for the candles to flicker, the charm hears my wish?”

“Exactly. You’ve got to be patient. It’s about the magic aligning with what you really want.”

“That’s oddly specific. Is there any logic behind this, or are you just pulling my leg?”

“Oi, this is serious! Wizards have been doing it for centuries. It’s like the birthday version of an Unbreakable Vow.”

“Somehow, I doubt that.”

“Well, you’ll never know if you don’t try. Next birthday, wait for the flicker.”

“And if it doesn’t happen?”

“Then you’re not wishing hard enough.”

“I always wish hard enough.”

“Yeah, but have you ever wished the wizard way? There’s a difference.”

“So, wizard wishes are more effective than Muggle ones?”

“Obviously. With the flicker, the magic actually works with you. It’s not just blowing out candles; it’s setting an intention.”

“Hmph. I’ll give it a try, then.”

“Told you it’s more than cake. It’s magical cake.”

4. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    General thoughts:
    Five entries this time. Using the power of inductive reasoning, we can conclude that next time there should be six. Exciting times ahead. We're projected to reach our peak when inevitably we're prompted to write 500 words about Daphne Greengrass' titties and get no less than 50 entries, and from there it'll all be downhill.

I think my general thoughts from last time still hold up. We still have something of a focus on punchlines (or pointe), but this time the prompt was more about how to convey something (voice, specific speakers, etc.) than it was about a specific setting, time period, or something else concrete. WFS said on Discord that he'd interpreted this prompt to also require no names being used, which I'd argue isn't actually necessary.

Mostly notable is here that there's been no one who opted for reasons why there should be minimal use of beats or tags. Most of these scenes are just normal scenes that could have been part of a larger thing, except that now they have everything except the dialogue removed. This wasn't necessarily the only way to fulfill the prompt, though: one thing I was considering was a situation where the POV doesn't actually see the people speaking - overhearing something, maybe spying on a hushed conversation. That would've given a reason why the POV also has to distinguish speakers only by voice and would have been excellent and creative use of the prompt.

But then again that requires additional setup outside of dialogue, which I guess none of us really did opt for. Except for me because I wrote #4 and that has very minimal scene-setting.

Anyway, general rambling over. Specific rambling time.

#1:

One of the biggest issues, I suppose you could call them, in HP time travel stories: does the POV tell Dumbledore that they've been hurtled through time? Usually the answer is no, because either the author thinks Dumbledore is a manipulative coot who believes in the Greater Good (in which case their opinion can be disregarded) or more generally because there's a sense that Dumbledore will then take over the story, and at that point you could simply have the rest of the story be summarized as "Dumbledore solves everything".

In this case, though, you go for "yes". The fact that it's a pretty tight timeloop gives you that kind of freedom, because with the timeframe of a single day that means Dumbledore can't solve everything. Maybe I'm making more of that choice than I should, but dunno. Stuck out to me.

That said, some other stuff. I don't think the details, as presented, are quite that conclusive, but on the balance of it I think that Dumbledore would probably accept the idea of a time loop on the face of it with good humour the way the piece has it, so it still works.

Also interesting is that Harry's first thought is to have the time loop be broken. In most of these setups, the timeloop is used to accumulate power or maybe reach a desired outcome, a sort of reset-until-you-get-it-right. Here, though, we get only a little glimpse of the timelooping, and there's been not much of an attempt to really exploit it yet, it sounds like. I'd also have thought that Dumbledore would have asked further - who keeps dying, why? If no one were to die, would that resolve the timeloop, maybe?

But those are thoughts for a larger piece, I suppose. The constraint of 500 words must have been pretty hard.

For the things we're actually supposed to critique on: Harry's voice is a little too hesitant, maybe, but then again we don't know what year this is. I'm willing to give that a pass. Dumbledore shows off some lighthearted wisdom but maybe it could've used a few dollops of sagacity more.

#2:

I initially read this as a more inquisitive or more studious Harry (one might say, the usual Slytherin!Harry template in first year) who has a discussion with Dumbledore that's vaguely reminiscent of the one he had in canon about the Mirror of Erised, but later I realized that it's more likely to be Riddle and Dumbledore.

Nonetheless, I'm not quite sold that that is what this is. For one thing, the voices (central to the prompt) seem off.

We start with a discussion on "powers". This, to me, seems a misstep. Dumbledore might consider himself powerful (at least I think he fears what he could do) but I don't think he'd ever bring that up unprompted and I think he might even chastise people for only considering magic as something that makes one powerful. The voice doesn't read as Dumbledorean to me, after that initial jarring discordant note.

Neither does Riddle really feel like Riddle. At this point he's still trying to charm people, so Dumbledore telling him to stop being so guarded and actually talk to people feels off. He's already building a powerbase of dedicated purebloods, no? Unless this is earlier in his career but then the talk about "if even this is only a foundation" feels odd in that context, so either way it doesn't land.

In addition, the discussion jumps around, which is a more natural way of approaching dialogue, but even within a constraint of 500 words it still feels meandering. The topics shift from "being powerful" to "search for more powerful magics" to end at "please stop being an antisocial shit, Tom". Point A to point C feels natural but, even though point B is supposed to lead to point C, it feels like a sidetrack.

Final thought: if this is meant as a "Dumbledore accidentally caused the rise of Voldemort's powerbase" (which could be an interesting idea if done well) then I'd have expected a lot more focus on that.

#3:

Italics are \[i\]something\[\\i\], not *i*. That's markdown syntax and DLP uses BBcode. Might be an artifact of how you sent in your entry, though.

My critique of this is going to be rather short because there's not really a lot to say. I see what you were aiming for but I think you missed.

One of the ideas behind the prompt was distinguishing speakers by voice. In that sense, you failed - I can't point to a specific line and say, just from the word choices, how the sentence is paced, etc who's speaking. I can distinguish them only by the fact that one did something stupid and the other is haranguing them for it. They speak the same way, have the same faux-comedic tone (the "?!" are a classic signpost)...

There's technical issues here and there ("Could have been yeah. it... well, it glowed.") but they're not really as important as the fact that the humour didn't hit and there's no telling who's speaking. Bringing in a third speaker can only really be described as "hubris", I think.

#4:

This is my entry. Last time I was a little secretive about this but apparently I needn't bother so I won't.

I cheat here, though that makes it sound more intentional than it was. I first prime the reader to expect a female character with quite literally the first word, then set up that she's talking to a minister three sentences later. More of the same a few paragraphs later. Neither was strictly necessary. I could have done without them and probably should have, but they're the product of a quick late-night rewrite minutes before sending in the entry. Lambaste me for it if you want to. I really don't mind.

Anyway, conversation between Umbridge and Fudge here on the day that Harry returns with Cedric's dead body. Originally this was planned to talk more about how that old coot Dumbledore was behind this somehow, which in the end was reduced only to a single mention near the end due to word constraints. They'd have planned out the press campaign in more detail etc.

For the next bit I'm going to ask myself the usual questions that I have if reviewing someone else's work.

Do I think this is a conversation that really happened in canon? It could have, I think. Presumably it would have been rather more meandering and would take more convincing from Umbridge, though, but again - 500 words isn't a lot. Writing less and keeping it tight and good is always harder than just blasting your wordcount up into the stratosphere.

Could this lead to a fanfic? Sure. If Umbridge tries something different than the Dementors - a pair of Aurors, maybe, sent to get Harry to bring him to talk to the Minister. That could be a really interesting start to a fic that goes more into the political end and from there leads into more Indy!Harry territory in fifth year. Equally it could lead to something like the first chapter(s) of Silens' Renegade Cause as Harry has to escape Little Whinging.

Did I manage to hit the voices? Honestly, I think it's a passable attempt but not anything more than that. Fudge doesn't quite have a distinctive voice, so I'm hoping I can be forgiven on that end by giving him something more generic, but Umbridge has a very distinctive voice and presence within the books. She has a few vocal tics that I'm relying on pretty heavily here, like the hem hem. I suppose it'll be up to the reader to decide if it's overuse or just enough, but I think it might be too much.

#5:

A little oneshot conversation between Ron and someone else. My first thought was Hermione. It could be Harry but I don't think (canonesque) Harry would "hmph" in his dialogue, while Hermione absolutely would.

Which is to say, I think you've done a decent job with Ron's voice but the other speaker's a little more hazy. If this is Hermione you have her talk a little more formally and have her think in more logical terms, but you kind of stumble with her emphasizing things (the italics of always wishing hard enough) and also her saying "pulling my leg". That expression struck me as not quite something that Hermione would say, so I was thinking Harry - but then again Harry probably wouldn't say "Is there any logic behind this", I feel like.

I'm not quite sure what else to say here. The idea of birthday cake candles being charmed feels natural and it's a cute little elaboration on wizarding customs, but maybe more could have been done with what the wish actually is that's being requested to come true? I dunno. The final "told you" feels a little unearned when as far as we know no wishes have come true yet unless I'm a woolhead who missed an implication somewhere.

5. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Slug Club Member

Entry 1: I think It's obvious to anyone who spent time on the discord that this entry is mine, time loops occupy around 40% of my daily thoughts. So it's hard for me to judge it, I will valiantly try nonetheless.
    I think Harry's voice isn't quite there yet, he's a bit shy and should be more proactive in the conversation.
    As BTT mentioned already; there should have been further inquiries on the "someone dies" detail, that one is my bad, it was from an earlier heavier draft and now it feels like a mismatch in tones.
    I think I captured Dumbledore's whimsy well. You'll all thank me for removing the reference to his twinkling eyes.
    I don't want to toot my own horn so I'll stop there.

Entry 2: It's well-written technically, and an interesting conversation. My guess was immediately Dumbledore and Riddle because Dumbledore's lines are quite harsh and he's pulling the mentor act. But I only guessed that based on Dumble's lines, if it is indeed Riddle, then you haven't done a good enough job of conveying his arrogance, nor his (by now very existing) hatred of Dumbledore.

Entry 3: It's just not very funny, and it is aiming to be funny so obviously that's not great or even good. I like the idea that Harry became a prophecy magnet and they now have protocols/plans to go into the DoM to hear/smash them.
    But I wrote it so I'm biased. I've ran it by a friend and he said that it cheapens the OG prophecy and is not funny enough to warrant that.

Entry 4: You've laid it on thick vis-a-vis character voices, hem hem is like Umbridge's pokemon sound.
    Fudge in canon doesn't have many lines but he had a a sense of awkwardness and a tendency to overshare details. You could have hit that better here, especially with his last line.
    It's interesting how you portrayed their dynamics. Umbridge as the one pulling the strings and prodding Fudge is fun to read.
    It's also 380 words, so you could have padded it out.

Entry 5: It's a really cute conversation.
    Ron as the one explaining wizarding customs to Hermione or Harry is an underutilized trope, both in fanfiction and in canon.
    The entry/Ron's explanation repeats itself a bit. All the more noticeable because of the short word count.
    Example: Did Hermione need to ask
    when Ron just went over it. Even if incredulity was the goal it's a bit much.
    Instead, you could have gone over how this tradition differs in other wizarding communities, or maybe the history of how it started or why was this charm created in the first place. Maybe Hermione asks why they can't just relight the candles etc etc
    Not necessarily those ideas, but just another branching path of dialogue to make the conversation feel more realistic while keeping the whimsical vibe.
    To end on a positive,
    is INSPIRED, just pure Ron and HP in general.

6. haphnepls

haphnepls Groundskeeper

1) It's very clear who's speaking even if you didn't mentioned it. I like the punchline. What I wish there's more of, and I'm saying this having no idea if this is appropriate comment for this sort of thing, is understanding just what sort of loops these were from the diferrence in HArry's tone that simply doesn't exist. It just reads Harryly. Harryesque.

I think these parts have Dumbledore saying too much, and losing a bit of his suave. Too much concrete details, I guess.

2) This was me, prompted by that Voldemort line, ah, an old argument, which tells me they must have discussed these things somewhere in the past and I tried to put it to words.

I thought it was too question-y, that I wasn't able to keep their disdain from their voices as much as I wanted to, that it was too without a specific point, but funnily enough you see different issues, some of which now I can see as well. It's how it gets in reviews time, anyway.

If there's anything to say in my defence, it's that I found it hard to write a piece of dialogue just hanging in the air, out there, with no connection to the larger frame, and that I had to cut it down quite heavily to make it sub 500 words, but those are excuses.

I still like it somewhat.

3) This is cool. Tag along in form of Weasley twins? Short and fun, and snippy, and if the other guy speaking is Harry I'm honestly just guessing, I can't really tell, so the prompt is a bit missed, but outside of what I was supposed to be saying, I like this.

This breaks the flow, however, the problem isn't him saying that, the problem is the framing of it. We understand it's a serious situation, and I feel this is a writer's mistake and not the character's, if that makes sense. Just doesn't belong in there framed like this, imo.

4) Hem, hem, feels like a cheating, though I had an inkling before that point who we are listening to.

I like this bit because I've never even imagined these two having a word, so this entry is more braver in that regards.

I know we have a lot of canon evidence of Fudge being a bumbling mess, but it's never with other high ranking ministry officials, and it strikes me off, I think, I mean, he's still politician, no matter how incompetent.

Both voices are imo correct, canon like, but what's funny is that I don't somehow think that they're appropriate when close to each other.

I guess I'd expect two fake voices but now that's a challenge to write.

5) Lovely magic, lovely HP bit. Voices are recognizeable and on point, but I'm not sure at what age we are looking at, because one half of it says prolongued familiarity that would make them ten years older, and the other part says closer to end of canon. I can't really pinpoint it but I'm leaning towards more mature age? Idk, still a lovely bit of magic(?).

Maybe because of this line. Not even sure we're on the same page when it comes to meaning or the lack thereof.

//
    Generally this was a nice practice and good fun, but honestly I think I see a lot of inexperience with such stuff both from me and the others. It's like the half of focus is not on the emphasized characters' voices but on the story that might have been, or the rounding of it. Now, having read all of these, I think I'd like much less of a context and much more of a bravery in picking them voices.

Good show, everyone.

7. Niez

Niez Seventh Year ⭐⭐

I would like to say, for a record, that I did a pure dialogue entry before it became fashionable, and indeed, won a star with it. I am deeply insulted that it was not linked at the beggining as a good, nay great, example of this format, instead of the rando story about meat people.

Niez will remember this

Anyhoo:

Lol, I like this entry. No notes.

Unfortunately, I believe this one fails to achieve the intended purpose of this competition, as I haven't the foggiest of who is speaking here.

I also like this one. Strong in its intended purpose, although the line of who's speaking becomes a bit blurred at times. Part of it is having a threeway conversation with no dialogue tags, the other is not using the tools available to you. Hermione says 'honestly' a lot in Canon. Ron says 'blimey', Harry is very grumpy in Book 5 the lad, etc. etc. Throw those character signifiers in there so we instantly know whos speaking, instead of using context, which may or may not be missed, or a back-and-forth, which doesn't really work, because, as stated, in a threeway conversation there is no back and forth, or at least not one we can easily follow.

Hmmm. It is unfortunate that I spotted a slight issue with this entry which made it very hard for me to focus on anything other than the issue itself.

Now I'll try to be brief and cut to the chase:

“Hem, hem” is an onomatopeia. It is not slang, it is not a manner of speech. It is most definitely not Umbridge's catchphrase. It is the sound Umbridge makes when she coughs.

Don't believe me? Don't care. I got receipts:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – page 269

With that in mind let's look at your snippet, only we shall substitute "Hem, hem", with the absolutely equivalent 'Umbridge coughed.'

Entry 4
    Like, I'm sorry but it is genuinely impossible to look past this. At my most charitable I can only interpret Umbridge has a massive flu or a sore throat, and neither character is bringing it up for some reason. And at my least charitable, well, see the above.

It has its charm although the character voices could be stronger. Not sure what else to say.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 3:36 PM