1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP: Directions (NO NAME CHANGES)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, May 11, 2010.

1. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Wow, Active thread, Ok, from the top
    -----

Suggestion: DLP Hall Of Fame for site recommended fics:

Opinion: While it's a good Idea we kinda have this already, we call it the 'Library'. It's in need of a good cleaning though.
    -----

Suggestion:Story of the week/month?

Opinion: Good on paper, impractical in execution, Especially if we limit it to HP fiction. We just don't get enough story traffic as things stand
    -----

Suggestion:Links to Blogs/articles on various things?

Opinion: Most of the Non-Library portion of the site is already dedicated to this. It'd be a bit redundent.
    -----

Suggestion: Article style reviews?

Opinion: Go right ahead. Nobody is stopping you. Unless of course you were asking for a specific sub-forum for it. Not a bad Idea, but I don't see it getting a lot of use.
    -----

Suggestion: DLP history timeline page

Opinion: I'm very much in favor of an approximate time-line listing major events that have occurred in the past. Why I may even have to revive on of the DLP holocaust survive sig if this goes up.
    -----

Suggestion: amalgamate PC over to DLP
    --- Subset: Expand PatronusCharm to include Dresden
    --- Subset2: Make DLP a sub-site of a new forum

Opinion: Doable. I don't think it's really necessary.
    The expansion to include other Fandoms would probably be a wise move.
    DLP is DLP, we are a 'Sub-forum' of nobody.
    -----

Suggestion: make it about Fantasy literature in general instead of so much focus on HP
    --- Subset: Limit The included Fandoms, or expand them on a basis of what the majority of our members are interested in.
    --- Subset2: Expand/Change the format of the WBA section
    --- Subset3: Specifically target the darker (or more adult) aspects of other Fandoms

Opinion: We've already started this with the sub-forums. I think they need to be re-formatted into something similar to the main page though.
    I have no real feelings one way or the other about the WBA right now
    Targeting the more adult aspects of other Fandoms is a pretty good Idea, but we pretty much do that already. really all we need is a spot to put them that's not 'Other'
    -----

Suggestion: Ditch the 'Dark Lord Potter' Name and come up with something else
    --- Subset: Keep the DLP acronym during the name change

Opinion: As Anti-vash already mentioned this has been decided. No name change. As I mentioned in my first post however, I think that we need our coverpage to read 'Project DLP' and have a few more 'Dark Lord' Characters from other fandoms added to it.
    -----

Suggestion:A (bi)monthly publication that includes reviews of fanfiction, fiction, movies, video games, movies, etc., as well as bringing up important site related topics
    --- Subset: Casual update instead of regular

Opinion: If you start e-mailing me junk, I'm blocking your ass. I get enough unsolicited e-mails as it is. If you want a thread off in a corner somewhere for this, more power too you.
    -----

Suggestion: DLP Peer Review: (Summerized) A place to post homework, Job propositions, and similar writings for the DLP community to nitpick through for us.
    --- Subset: area for General 'Real world' problems to be posted for feedback on how to deal with whatever crops up.

Opinion: Could work so long as it's understood that we help you at Our leisure so you better be posting it a couple of days before you need it back if you really want our opinions.
    -----

Suggestion: Blogs and similar
    --- Subset: DLP sponsored blogs elsewhere

Opinion: Livejournal. Enough said.
    -----

Suggestion: Housecleaning on our library.
    --- Subset: (apparently I missed this one) Throw out all non-hp works.
    --- Subset2: Limited weekly cleaning?

Opinion: Personally I think it's over due and would like to recommend that five or so 'old' stories get dredged up and debated every week. At best we bring peoples attention to the 'Oldies but goodies', at worst, we move some stories that no longer make the grade.
    -----

Suggestion: Merchandising

Opinion: It feels a little like whoring ourselves out, but If we have some people who want to draw up shirt designs It wouldn't be hard at all to get them printed. Make sure you have close to a full printing run before you order though.
    -----

Suggestion: Bring back the yearly awards

Opinion: I'm all in favor of it. I feel however that once a story has won an award one year, that it be thereafter excluded from the running in the subsequent years.
    -----

Suggeston:A 'DLP Advocates' section with writeups on the 5.5/5 stories
    --- Subset: Regardless of the Fandom

Opinion: I'd bookmark this, I'd probably contribute articles if asked to write up a specific story.
    -----

Suggestion: Podcast of some type.

Opinion: if your serious I'll volenteer to record some of them. I have no problems reading or commenting for a crowd.
    -----

Suggestion: Philosophy sub-forum

Opinion: Have one. we call it the 'Religion' subforum.
    -----

Suggestion: Social networking
    --- Subset: IRL convention(s)
    --- Subset2: HELL NO to being a facebook spinoff
    --- Subset3: (And I cringe as I add this) Facebook app.

Opinion: IRL conventions might work, though we're pretty spread out.
    I don't like the Idea of DLP hosting anything even remotely similar to Facebook.
    If your serious about adding to our reader base a DLP or PC app on facebook could potentially draw a lot of people
    -----

Suggestion:We could create a DLP religion and apply for tax-exemption status. It would totally solve all the monthly bill problems!

Opinion: While you could possibly swing it, I suspect that you'd get caught skimming pretty fast Shezza
    -----

Suggestion: Gaming
    --- Subset: DLP hosted competitions a la RvsB
    --- Subset2: Multimedia in general, Recommended movies, games, books, ect.
    --- Subset3: Dedicated servers

Opinion: Dedicated servers would be nice but pricey,
    Reccomendation could simply get a specific sub-forum
    I will hurt somebody if DLP starts offering 'Gamerpoints' or 'Achievements'
    -----

Suggestion:Search engine upgrade

Opinion: It's been discussed before, it comes down to "It's a great Idea, but I'll never have time to actually do it."
    -----

Suggestion: DLP's 'Tips n Tricks' for New writers

Opinion: Probably not a bad Idea, but I suspect unless it's closely monitered it'd quickly go the same direction as the origional 'Potter Laws'
    -----

Suggestion: Translation Area for English to OL and back again

Opinion: Not a bad Idea but we'd need someone capable of translating properly.
    -----

Suggestion: DLP's Opinion on -Blank-: Member summery and discussion of other fandoms

Opinion: we Kind of do this already, but yes It could probably be more clearly defined as such.
    -----

Suggestion: Site hosted writing competitions

Opinion: See final line of my response to the 'Gaming' suggestion.
    -----

My personal suggestions were pretty much covered at the bottom of my last post, Scroll up to see them, and that I think covers where I stand. :rolleyes:

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

We already have enough computing power to run a couple servers. If not, DLP could spring for a quad core which is a pretty cheap upgrade.

What do you want different about it?

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Congratulations Manatheron!

You have been granted the Achievement:

Guy Who Posts!

4. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

This one's easy. Rin Joined on May 27th, 2007. That's all that matters.

5. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Milord Ravenclaw: I'm afraid I don't remember what was all discussed on the search upgrade, I'd guess it's been six to eight months since there was any serious discussion on that one and I was only mildly interested in it to start with.

Jon, Buddy, don't make me break out my whupin stick. ;)

Rin, You forgot 'site was founded' and 'Present'

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

*bing* Achievement Unlocked: Internet Tough-Guy!

7. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I would really like it and think that is one of the ideas with a high sucess rate. While our interest in HP may die many of us will still like fantasy, even after we finish school. And some of our readers/vistors would not have to worry about co-workers or family finding out about their hobby.
    I find I difficult to find good and neutral reviews about new books, especially if they aren´t Mainstream, so that could be our chance. And because many of you are highly intelligent and like good writing the chances are high that we would have high quality reviews.
    We could also concentrate on our own writers and help/convince their own original stories, because I would really like to read stories of Shezza, Sinclair and even Vash.

We could then also use the idea of:
    and

as an instrument to communicate with the outside/web. I think one Blog or something like that should be enough. It could be our official face and represent us to the outside.
    (Im Deutschen gibt es das wunderschöne Wort Sprachrohr aber ich hab keine Ahnung wie ich das übersetzen soll)

Why do we need something like that?
    Because DLP is an elitist and special group and many of our old users would leave if noobs could get in. It would also strengthen the community feeling.
    Even I, who posts nothing, would miss the feeling and atmosphere of DLP if every idiot could join.

Things like:
    happen naturally in good and friendly atmosphere. The chance to force something like are, in my opinion, low.

And does nobody here study literature or something like that? Wouldn´t such a Blog a perfect project for you?

I hope you understand what I want to say and that it helps you in finding out what will happen with DLP.

And before I forgot it I really like the idea of T-shirts and other merchandise.

PS: I would be willing to help to translate into German.I finish school the next month and because it doesn´t look like the army wants me I will have some free time. But i´m not sure if that is really that useful... Most Germans that have interest in books and are be intelligent enough to be of interest for you understand English good enough to read it. Because after 6 or 9 years of learning it, it is hard not too.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Quite a few people in this thread supported this idea (Tehan and Murton for example). I'm not saying we should change our content to be "friend-safe", just the appearance of the forum. And even then, I suggested it as an optional theme, so it's not like its even changing anything fixed.

Vash's fix would work... only the computers in the university library don't have any of those applications. There's no need for it on my home computer, most of my friends already know about this place.

9. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Well then why don't you use the iPhone skin?

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tenhauser: 1
    Taure: 0

11. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In his defense, the iphone skin is a bit less functional, and that can be frustrating to deal with, even on my phone itself. I wouldn't mind a change in the banner, but I don't think it needs to be a priority.

12. Seratin

High Score:
    Don't change the banner, just make it optional. Or add Dresden/Supernatural/Normal banners.

13. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, that's a better idea.

14. Antivash

Easy solution; USB. Install Portable Firefox onto a usb. Set up as needed. ????. Profit!

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    iPhone skin doesn't have access to UserCP (as far as I'm aware), which is my primary means of navigating the site (via subscribed threads).

Also, Seratin, don't be a douche. You're clearly still upset over the Pokemon thread, but lighten the fuck up.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

o_O

I'm a grown fucking man. I come here still for the friends I've made. If someone laughs at a banner, they can get the fuck out of my face/house/space. Yeah it's old and could go, but bitching about it is fucking stupid.

17. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Eh, just make it something better, we have the people to come up with something better than what we have. Then make an old school theme for the naysayers and a freshprince skin for whoever wants shiny graphics :p

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't even use the iPhone skin on my iPhone...

Either way, while it'd be interesting, i'm more than happy to have it left as is. I'm not exactly on DLP when I have friends around anyway.

19. Antivash

THis. Hell, I was at O'Charleys with a friend and his wife. Somehow got on the topic of fanfiction and she mentioned Oedipus Flower. I had entirely forgotten she knew about DLP and who I was.

If I can laugh that off in public, you can deal with DLP's banners.

To quote Taure in this very thread; Lighten the fuck up. Faggots.

20. Seratin

High Score:
    Umm lolwut? You do know that most of the people here don't carry grudges over one argument don't you?

I can't even remember what was said in the Pokemon thread. If I say something it's because at that moment I feel the need to say something. You were being a douche and Tenhauser pointed out a solution. I agreed with him.

Grow the fuck up and stop taking everything personally.