1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I really need to stop feeding some of the Trolls in this thread and only read it right after an update comes out. The longer this thread is left without new material the more randomness that just appears from nowhere.

2. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

[​IMG]

3. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

I see. So what we differ on is on my personal opinion. I think it's wrong of the Goblet to judge morality, therefore I think there's a problem with the story. You don't. I have no problem with that.

Indeed, thinking it over, it may be that the Goblet is designed to prevent cheating, which is why this is the first time it is being used in the
    Tournament.

Otherwise, I think with the comments of C.J.C and Churchey, this topic has been exhausted. But my thanks for your participation.

4. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

How exactly would it make him a coward? Is taking the easiest path to overcoming an obstacle that no other potential champion has to face, something that reflects his courage? Is the age line something to be feared?

5. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Apparently if you want to get named champion it's better to dig and build a elaborate cave system that takes you behind the wall rather than to climb in through the window.

6. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I would argue that a more apt metaphor would be climbing in through the window instead of telling your friend to climb in for you because you fear the repercussions of climbing through yourself.
    But to each their own.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If anything it's asking a friend that can use the door and face no repercussions instead of climbing in through the window on your own.

8. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Nah, I think it's more like asking a friend to rape a donkey instead of you climbing Mt. Everest with aviators.

9. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

It might come off as slightly ignorant, but was too tired to read 200 pages of thread ;p

When I had this forum mentioned for me, my expectations were low. Not that I thought something bad about the comunity here, just that I thought there wasn't anything I was missing.

There was.
    How many chapters, five?
    Five more chapters of the fic I had read and even waited for new ones. Talk about easter coming early. I mean halloween. I mean cristmas. ;D

So, the part where I show my ignorance and probably repeat something somebody said.
    First, the general prase - awesome. I especially like how Durmstang is presented.
    At first harry was a little too fast with the dark. On the last chapters though, it was more justified and solid. All in all a good portrayal of going dark slowly.

Then, on Calypso. The name read strange at first. (I somewhat dislike all OC with strange names ranging from Autumn to Zaratrusta) As it went along I got over it, but it did take a few chapters for that. My current phase is trying to place the choice of the name. Why Calypso, I kept asking myself? Is Harry like Odiseus, confined in a depressing island with a nymph (godess?) for seven years, being promised immortality if he stays? Well, a nice choice then. ;)
    The only question remaining is if this is homer's version, where Odiseus and Calypso had no kids. Well, with this reasoning Harry's no Odiseus, but Calypso does fit. If that was intentional, I take my hats off for you. Both of them.

On the last chapter.
    I'm eager to see how does he fool the age line, and at the same time, I'm waiting for both brothers to be chosen.
    I can even picture the scene, where Nathan screams at Harry for entering him and Harry is shouting back, blaming him for not preparing if he was thinking to compete. Imagining Nathan face when Harry points outs the different ways to fool the cup is allso a fun passtime.

On the last posts. This thread travels through lots of thoughts, right? Sounds crazy and fun ;)
    And as comparisons go, entering your name with the help of the friend is borderline cheating. Blasting the age line through in a display of magic, for example using hogwarts wards discharge on the age line (i pulled this one out of the "nonsense file" in 3 seconds) would be in spirit of the tornament. Against recomendations of age, but brave and proving.
    Its not the choosing of the easiest or best way, but choosing an impressive and dearing one.

That's it for today.

Nauro.

10. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Welcome to our hellhole, links to the things you must see later. A note buddy, dont aign posts it's egotistical. Nice to see all the enthusiasm from you though.

As to the thread, Memeldur what you like doesn't matter. All of you really, you need to think "what makes the most interesting story" not "what I would like" or "what seems right" this is a tale, and the author is more imaginative than all you newbies who come here for his story.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Oliver, shut the fuck up.

Welcome to DLP Nauro. You will find many things on DLP that you might have been missing out on, had you not joined.

I suppose seeing at least one intelligent member join because of this story, is worth briefly thinking there was an update. Also, Lithuanians are cool.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  12. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This. Damn forum grows on you like a cancer. Go browse the Work in Progress subforum by the way. The sooner you start it the sooner you can finish it, and let's face it: You won't be doing anything for a while after you start reading the Denarian series, Wastelands or other of the awesome storys in there(Hint, don't read mine if it's still there.)

I like your picture btw.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  13. Crash

Crash Fourth Year

Nauro, is English your first language?

14. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

It's written below his avatar and was said before at least one time.
    No, they don't speak English there, so naturally it isn't his first language. Please, they are only joking that thinking hurts, don't take it too seriously.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Nauro -- I like your name, your avatar, and your first post. Those things are rare. Welcome to DLP. Loads of awesome stories to check out. If you have any background in the Dresden Files (an awesome series of books) then I'd second whoever suggested the Denarian series of fanfics by Shezza.

16. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

LOL

You don't need any Dresden background to get into those fics...I didn't have any such background, and they were still accessible and enjoyable.

17. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Shezza's fic is what got me into Dresden Files and later Codex Alera.

18. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I don't know what did it specifically, but I heard praise for Harry Dresden from these forums and picked up Butcher's books because of it.

I've been lurking for a long time but I mostly just used this place and its reviewers as a means of finding stories. I only signed up to get into the WBA section because Santi stopped updating on FFN but discussion kept going on in this thread, and I can't say I regret it.

19. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Same here. I only signed on because Santi was updating here. But I have been surprised with the quality of the work in WBA.

20. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Is it usual here, to turn a thread into an introduction?
    It's not that I mind, just sometimes people are more conservative and hold the threads more sacred ;D
    It's kind of a rhetorical question, as it's a 250+ page thread. those never stay on topic.

Thanks for a warm welcome :)

You have to have at least one bad thing in your personality. Also, a healthy dose of egoism never killed anyone.... Well... Mostly doesn't kill anyone... I think I won't die because of it.

I'll have to look around more, then.
    And I hope I will not be drawn into too much. No offense for the DLP, but I still don't have any real free time ;D.

And mostly full of shit. Thats us, combining the impossibles since 1009.

Side note: we speak Lithuanian, not English, as it was pointed out. It's a crazy language (Siaučiant speigui Gabijos gatvėje, bebras su kardu ir šalmu įkrito į konteinerį su žaliūzėmis, kur jį pasitiko giltinė nešina kibiru. (Don't translate that.)). English is easier sometimes.

Thanks. My nick is mostly stolen from Tolkien, my avatar was nicked from White Wolf, and my first post, well, probably heard it sometime in my head and stole the ideas from myself. In a way.

I know of Harry Dresden and I have the tv series stashed somewhere at home, but never read the books. It's a bit farer to the end of my reading list. :D
    We'll see.

I'll probably pop into a few threads to give a review of something I had read, but will probably resolve to mostly lurking around.
    If you get me going however, I can forget myself and write a few pages of comments :D I hope it doesn't come to that as I'll probably be late somewhere because of it.

Getting a little back to the thread (I think it would be polite of me.)
    I bet (but not much) the mess with tournament champions will end in two possible ways.
    One means getting (Nathan, Harry, Felur and Diggory) and the other is a bit too crazy to consider, but I somewhat feel it might be a case (Fleur, Diggory, Krum, Harry, Calypso and Nathan) but only if every side messes everything up even more. (Barty enters Nathan, Harry enters himself, Calypso is entered by her family :D. The cup gets confunded into the next year)

I still like think there will be shouting match or even a duel between the brothers either way. Ah, the wonders of miscommunication and hot-headiness ;D.

Nauro.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
Not open for further replies.