1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Ah, that makes more sense. As a slight tangent, if Rita is ever killed, the perfect method of execution would be to have her crushed underfoot (as a beetle). And then smeared across the ground for good measure.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    As a kid I enjoyed slowly pulling the legs, antenae and wings off of insects.

3. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I don't think any of that will happen. Needless drama is needless especially since Harry isn't famous thus not worthy of attack. I'd guess if she would do anything it would be to use Harry to attack Dumbledore. Bring up the way he was treated at Hogwarts under Dumbledore's care and then now how he has made a triumphant return as the brilliant genius who got passed the age line, is winning the tournament, and has already had an article published.

Besides, I'm not sure Rosier Sr. would allow the trash talking. It might make people ask one too many questions which could be bad for him. If Draco knew about Rita, I'd say he learned it from his father which means Rosier Sr. probably already knows.

4. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Rita doesn't exclusively target famous people, she writes sensationalist articles that would cause people to buy newspapers. Hagrid wasn't famous, yet she wrote an article about him... you could say it was about Dumbledore's decision to employ him, so there's the 'famous' connection but then wouldn't the story of how 'the Boy-Who-Lived's brother is turning into a Dark Wizard and here's all the things his classmates reveal about him' also qualify? Or that the Boy-Who-Lived's brother is dating a Death Eater's daughter; one that was raised by said Death Eater ever since he faked his death - oh what a tragic situation for the Potters - details on Page 5 & 6.

I'm not sure about your second point... what influence does Rosier (who's not even in England) have over Rita & the Daily Prophet? Or Lucius for that matter? We know that the Ministry was able to exert a certain amount of influence over the Prophet, but total control to the extent that all articles are checked by the government before publication? And this censor knows that news that Rosier lives should be suppressed? Fudge isn't running a coverup at this point.

And Draco knowing about Rita? Have I missed something?

5. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think that Rita is more likely to dismiss all champions except for the Boy-Who-Lived (and Harry might not take being casually dismissed well).

6. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I could see Rita focusing on Harry's brother but dragging Harry's name through the mud calling him an attention seeker or some other sob story.

7. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

You have to remember that Harry is not a nameless scrub anymore. Beating Grindelwald's record, transfiguration discovery, plus I doubt he will conceal the fact that he got past the enchantments and entered his name out of his own free will.

That's a material for a story if I've ever seen one.

8. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

It seems to me that Rosier Sr. being alive still isn't common knowledge in England. I'd hate to be the student that spills the beans on that one. They may be 7th years but Rosier is still a scary guy.

9. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

If they both get in the tournament, I can definitely see Rita make story about the battle between the brothers. TheBoyWhoLived vs ThePotterProdigy is catchy enough.

10. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I don't be surprised that Santi used Rita Skeeter to publicize the fact that Romulus Rosier still alive, and everything should be a conversation between Calypso and Harry where he spoke of his father, while Rita was in her animal form, eavesdropping this talk.

There might also be the case that Rita was spying on Viktor Krum (whether or not a champion, he will be a target for Rita to be a renowned international Quidditch player), and Kira (after her final break with Viktor, that I believe happen this year) decided to take revenge by making public the survival of Mr. Rosier, who works at Durmstrang as its Dark Arts professor.

If this fact comes to light (and Harry managed to be the Durmstrang champion, and Nathan is a surprised champion), the fourth year will be the most interesting of this fic, with a multitude of fronts to consider (the reactions of James, Lily, and their immediate environment: Sirius and Remus; Romulus' reaction; Dumbledore's reaction; the likely scuffles between Harry and his friends, with the rest of their fellows; etc)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  11. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

He was talking to her in bug form during GOF. In fact, it was implied quite a few Slytherin students were. I don't think he is smart enough to figure it out on his own or even have a reason to figure it out. Lucius most likely has dirt on her specifically to keep his name out of her sensationalist stories. The ministry wasn't blackmailing Rita to keep her silenced. If they knew they would have thrown her in jail ages ago just to get rid of her.

That is where I get the fact that Lucius and by extension Rosier most likely can lock Rita down. I also wouldn't want to be the Durmstrang student stupid enough to go to the paper. Harry has earned his reputation for a reason. Furthermore, I can't see any of them trying to harm the reputation of their school's champion not if they don't want to risk the fury of the Highmaster, Viktor, Harry, and Rosier at any rate. That would quite possibly be the worst group of people to piss off.

With that being said, I could see a quote from Ron appearing in the paper about how dark Harry is. Most likely taken out of context as part of a conversation he was having with someone else, but I could see the Santi doing that.

@Lukaskr. Yes, he is a nameless scrub. He published a relatively unknown paper and beat a school record. He didn't defeat a dark lord or discover something that cured werewolves. The dark lord in question wasn't even that big in the UK iirc.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  12. Diomedes

Diomedes First Year

Does Dumbledore still have the marauder's map? If so, I can't see how Crouch and Rita can infiltrate Hogwarts.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  13. Elelith

Elelith Squib

I think Harry is smart enough by now to know his brother doesn't have the magical ability needed to enter his own name. I could see him taking the reasonable path when seeing how Ron reacts and using the tournarment to further alienate the idiot from his brother...

I hope Santi gets off work/uni a week early and finds nothing else to do but write HPBWL...

14. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

This is a stupid question, but have you heard about this thing called "World War II?"

15. syed

syed Supermod

Harry is going to believe Hermione over Ronald every time.

WIll Harry use the Danger of the Tornement to force Nathan to Study magic.

16. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I may be breaking some rule here by responding but why would Hermione even be a factor? Harry could go to Nathan directly and can tell when people are lying to him via mind magic.

17. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fucking Ron-bashing Harmonianisms. D8

18. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really? This line made me cringe six ways to sunday, syed please review capitalization, and also, think about how real people act before you ask bizarre questions.

19. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

In this story, Ron is an idiot and Santi is a Ron-basher. It would make sense, both from a Watsonian and Doylist POV, that the protagonist (who thinks Hermione is the only person at Hogwarts with a lick of sense) would believe Hermione over Ron, at least until he checked for himself.

@Vincent, @Lungs, @CommanderBond: You are not supposed to reply. You are supposed to use this:
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/profile.php?do=ignorelist
    When you reply or quote, you pertube my careful illusion that ignored posts do not exists. This illusion requires everyone to politely not mention that which should not be mentioned in polite company.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  20. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Wow, it's been a while since I actually posted anything substantial in this thread, other than saying 'hey I updated.'

Since I need some kind of break from staring at my outline, I figured I'd address some of the more recent questions.

First, Rita will play a role in this story during 4th year. I'm still not sure what role she'll play post 4th year, but she'll be important in the upcoming chapters. I enjoy writing her for some reason, so expect some fun stuff from her.

As for my well-known dislike of Ron. Well, yeah, I don't particularly like him, but I've mellowed quite a bit since I first started writing him. Needless to say there won't be any unnecessary Ron!Bashing during 4th year. In fact, I think I've gone out of my way to stay as true to his character (good and bad) during year 4 as I possible could.

Next up, Draco. Draco is a character I've grown to like over the years. I think that JK actually did a reasonably good job crafting and developing his character throughout the books (he was probably one of the few). I'm going to try to show Draco as I always pictured him at Hogwarts before Voldemort, essentially a spoiled little shit that enjoys pushing people's buttons when he thinks he can get away with it.

The World Cup scene is a good indicator for how Draco sees Harry, and how he might go about handling his presence at Hogwarts. I'd suggest going back to read that at some point if you're interested in that avenue of the story since there are some telling clues in Draco's character before Harry gets pissed and lashes out with the Legilimency.

Finally, Mr. Rosier. I have to say, his character is the one I've grown the most fond of while writing this story. I think I have something like 4 or 5 endings for him, and I'm still not sure which one I like the best. If I ever do an Omake (and I seriously doubt I ever will since I generally can't stand them), it will probably be something relating to him. That said, you've all kind of glossed over a very important bit of information regarding him that is in a fairly recent update. I think someone mentioned it, but it was quickly quashed by the mass of posts that followed it.

That's everything for now. With any luck, I'll have an update or something for you around Xmas.

Not open for further replies.