1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Pers, surely you can see the difference between your comments and pretty much everyone else's you mentioned? If you bothered to read last 300 or so posts (not that I think you should, it was pretty repetitive after 20 or so posts), you'd see such a pattern emerging:

Person A: Well it sucks that Harry didn't get in, but what really bothered me about the last update was the way he failed to enter and the way he failed to react to that - or at least the lack of explanation from narrator, when a simple Calming Draught from Pomfrey would do.

Person B: LOLOL UR BUTTHURT CUZHE DIDN'T GET IN!!!1

2. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Ah, I made a dick sucking joke cause I'm a virgin. Props for originality there Pers. Bungie.net misses you.

You can obviously have different opinions on the quality of the latest chapter. You can even make a reasonable case for it being really good. Some people (yourself included) have. The idea that I've been "hardcore" in saying anyone who thinks that way is a fanboy......well it shows a stunning lack of reading comprehension tbh. I made one post outlining what I thought was dumb in the chapter. Since then I've posted twice, saying that sentiments like "who cares if there are holes, its fun" are incredibly terrible arguments. They are, and will remain so.

You lay out a good case for holding back not judging it harshly.

But this?
    This is pure fanboyism. It's putting forward the idea "how dare you criticize rather than instantly accepting anything." That's what I called dick-sucking and I'd do it again. Because it is.

3. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

So much this. It is really annoying when someone completely ignores everything that you write and just says you are upset because he didn't get in the tournament.

@Pers
    I don't mind your response at least you addressed something people were taking issue with, and for the record, I mean it was shit when compared to previous updates. I've never seen the Santi use so many ridiculous plot devices. I'm sure you are correct in that there is a good reason he is doing it, but I expect Santi to be more subtle than this. Maybe, my standards for his writing are too high, but I do expect much better from him than these cheap plot devices.

4. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Personally I don't trust the quality of a plot device unless it costs at least $342.

5. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

It's a bit hyperbolic to couch the debate as being solely along these lines.

There have been plenty of people who have argued the apologist side of the "Harry didn't react strongly enough" issue. And there's been a few others who have attacked the direction of the story implied by Harry's non-participation in the TWT. At least one of that latter group thumbs-uped your post.

It's a big thread - there's plenty of back-and-forth to be found in almost everybody's preferred flavor. I've concentrated on the TWT participation aspect because, for now, it's the most interesting question to me. The other mid- to long-term issue (Harry's reaction to failure) is significant, but it hasn't been fully resolved yet, as Pers explained.

Incidentally, I thought it was interesting that Perspicacity mentioned Blaise in his little post footnote. It sounded like he was intentionally channeling the spirit of Blaise for that whole post. :awesome

6. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Sorry there, Tenages. I know I have a track record of being apologetic for weaknesses in stories (it's not like I call anyone out on anything, ever) but I was simply responding to a number of posts that stated quite frankly "I didn't like this chapter because the plot didn't move where I wanted it to go."

If you'll notice (apparently you didn't) I did acknowledge that there have been flaws in this story and in this chapter particularly. I, however, am tired of seeing the same posts reworded over and over again. I trust that Santi has a plan and as I said, it's his story.

Who are you to say that he didn't plan this sort of outrage over his last update out? Surely he knew that it would cause a bit of a stir in this thread, yet posted it regardless.

Get off of your Mongol "this is bad and I'm angry!" horse. Move on.

At this rate, you're not going to like the next installment no matter what he posts.

7. 4arms

4arms Second Year

OK diverting the focus....Why hasn't hermoine learnt german? wasn't this the year when she created the point me spell?

Also Santi hasn't mentioned that Lupin had resigned from the DADA post...In the canon he did beecause he was with the golden trio when the transformation took place (and Snape had informed others).

8. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I don't think she created it, just found it in some book.

9. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Da fux?

Hermione invented the Point Me spell?

Lies.

Edit: Luckylee is a ninjatroll. Sort of quick and fast, but too smelly to get away with anything :3

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hermione hasn't learnt German because in order to use the charm she needs to spend time around someone who speaks it fluenty and no one is available (Dumbledore likely has better shit to do). She could learn it the old fashioned way by ordering a book or three on it, but again, she isn't around anyone fluent who could help her or anyone who could teach her -- probably not even an audiobook equivalent. Unless she is revealed to be a language prodigy like Bagman or whoever it was then there's no reason to expect her to have learned it.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if she'd been working on it, especially since she found out that Durmstrang was going to be visiting Hogwarts, and has picked up a few phrases. Perhaps enough to have understood part of Harry and Calypso's conversation in the library? But that's pure speculation.

I'll admit that I would have expected a mention of Lupin getting fired if he was fired. He's like an Uncle to Harry so unless they decided not to tell him for some reason then I'd expect it to have come up. Assuming he was fired at all -- remember that in this story Sirius wasn't a bad guy, so the events that led to Lupin transforming outside may not have happened in the same way (or at all).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I can't be a ninja I actually have a soul LUNGS!

12. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

Voldemort cursed the position of Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts, after he was rejected for that position. Therefore, no teacher of DADA is longer than a year.

In addition, we should remember that, given the suspicions that Dumbledore would have on the curse, Dumbledore just hire someone to that position for one year contract (as we know what happened to Moody in the fourth book).

Finally, the dismissal of Lupin likely ensue following made ​​public his werewolf condition, due to the discovery made by some students (Perhaps some Slytherins, althought I doubt very much that Snape was behind it, because that would poison his friendship with Lily).

13. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

Well it looks like we could possibly get a jealous Calypso yet. After all Harry speaks fluet German and it is his books that Hermione wants to read ergo Harry would be the logical person she would turn to learn German. Given that Harry is not champion that would suggest he will have quite a bit of free time even if he is instructing his brother so that should mean some Harry/Hermione interaction hopefully to the dismay of Calypso.

If this year is going to focus on character interaction instead of the tournament it would make sense Santi would give us some drama and the only real drama I'm really hoping for is a jealous angry Calypso/Hermione interaction.

14. Ched

Ah, yes. I can't believe I forgot that Voldemort had cursed the DADA position. So technically Lupin should be gone and I would have expected a mention of it to Harry at some point. If he's not gone then hopefully at some point the reason why the curse isn't active will be brought up instead.

Either way, a valid point imo. Granted the mention of it could be forthcoming, but I'd expect whatever happened to have pissed Nathan off enough that he'd have said something to Harry if nothing else.

15. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

I disagree with your characterization of me and my comments, you disagree with mine of yours. I think we can both agree that there's legitimate disagreement over the quality of the last chapter and the next one should be interesting.

16. 4arms

4arms Second Year

I vaguely remember that in canon Hermoine invented point me spell in 4th yr.
    Anyways, in this AU Hermoine had received the spell creation book from Harry...Knowing her, she would be preparing herself after she found out that the books were in german....In canon she seem to be doing extreme travelling in the holidays....she even informed Ron about the french dish during the TWT. Thus language preventing her to improve should not happen!
    She also seemed to be dissappointed when she realised that all of Harry's books were in German, she must be doing something after her talk about absorbing the language during the end of second yr

17. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

There's nothing in canon that says she invented the spell, merely that she taught it to Harry. It's more likely she found it somewhere. If she had created the spell she probably would have mentioned that fact to Harry.

18. Ched

I don't remember Hermione inventing the Point Me spell... My understanding was that she came across it in a book at the library during her search for spells that Harry might find useful during the 3rd task and convinced him to learn it.

Edit: Ninja'd

19. 4arms

4arms Second Year

yeah it was founded by her...sorry got stuck over there. I am expecting fight between Ron/Harry, Harry/Moody, Krum/ Nathan(if he is really into Hermoine)

Moody or rather Crouch might test Harry as Dark lord holds special interest for him

20. 4arms

4arms Second Year

Messed up the 1st line! EDIT: She found the spell somewhere or the spell was discovered by her....

Did the Buckbeak really die in this AU? Santi didn't mention it anywhere.

Not open for further replies.