1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Coyote, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cornwall, A Welsh one and Brittany.

2. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

To continue the post I made while half-alive, I've tried to play Lithuania, just because I wanted to see how that trick of making anything playable worked, and actually knew how the history of that place went more exactly than with others.

I was kind of expecting what I got - there's Teutonic order breathing on you on the west and north, some buffer Slavic kingdoms from the east, and a semi friendly kingdom Poland in the south.
    After I tried to hold out in the holy war (the order throws these at you at every opportunity) for long enough they called reinforcements from everywhere that's catholic and continually kicked my ass, until I lost the war of attrition.
    Also, whenever you think that the situation is stable and are trying to take over some Slavic territories, your grand duke (which for some reason here also hold the title of king, knowing that there was only one king in that territory at all) decides to kick the bucket, and everyone starts diving the pieces inside.
    When you somewhat take care of the inner conflicts, the fun thing happens and golden horde starts knocking at your door.

Fun. ;D Almost every war had me lose something.

I have no idea how, at one moment, we had access to both Baltic and black sea. Cause all the golden horde seams to do, whenever you breathe wrong at it, is whoop your ass. The forbidden to play for the pagans rule comes into play as I haven't really noticed a good 'convert to Christianity' option. (Was there even ability to change your Christian faith into a pagan one (in the full game for the Christian side?)

So yeah, the game is interesting, and I foresee myself playing it quite a few times in the future.

The few things - there's seems to be a distinct lack of assigning titles features for it to work flawlessly, you should be able to first choose the territory and then the dude you want to give it. Otherwise you end up scrolling through an uncomfortablish list of baronies and shit.
    Somewhat same with marriages and whatnot - there should be an option to have two different windows open at the same time as well. Cause you can either successfully navigate your family tree or theirs, but not both at the same time.

The infighting is really fun - can't complain there.

The wars leave something lacking. There should be more to it than gathering a huge stack and meeting another huge stack.
    Yeah, I saw some advanced tactics for battle there, but they (yet) don't make me much sense, and I don't think they help when the odds are 10:1.
    Cause I haven't seen a better way than amassing everyone in one huge army and picking the enemy stacks one by one.
    The building updates and building new castles - I haven't seen enough cash to consider those. Even then, talking about the cheaper ones, they don't seem to make much impact. +5% archers vs +5levies. How are archers better in this case? And why shouldn't you take that gold and spend it on mercenaries for the first year of the war?

Pressing the siege seems deadly, as everybody dies impossibly fast. Only after you take the first castle it starts to be used. Kind of realistic, I know, just something that disturbs me - there's no button to stop the assault. You have 11k men - everything you have plus a few mercenaries, and the castle has a crew of ~2k. you press assault, and cannot stop it, when half are dead? You have to watch them get foolishly decimated, and the siege breaks.

And yeah, I know, it comes down to 'you take castles with prolonged sieges and not direct assaults' and the small skirmishes are represented in the days you spend, and something.

Also, there should be a message before you can't pay the mercenaries and not after. 'You have barely enough gold, one more day and you won't be able to pay your mercenaries, and the button to release them.' Now, it ends with them trying to take that already non-existant gold back from you as if your angry vassals for keeping the troops going wouldn't be enough.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Acually, a good way to end an assualt early is to pause, order them to move to a nearby county, and then click to move them back to where they were, this stops the assualt, but keeps the morale scores the same.

4. Francis D. Saber

Francis D. Saber Second Year

Hello, sorry for the bump.

But i bought this game recently because of this thread. While the learning curve is steep, it dosent disappoint. It's very addicting and difficult, it's a struggle.

Any how after attempting to learn the basics i finally settled on william The conquer, his reign was magnificent. Then old age got to him, his Only living son took over, then everyone and their sister, keeps trying to revolt - any tips on preventing that? Or keeping it on the down?

Thanks in advance.

5. mialbowy

mialbowy Squib

What I normally do is make sure my heir has at least 500 prestige so that I can throw up a tournament right away. As long as I can hand out gifts and honorary titles to keep them happy until the tournament, the huge bonus to opinion will usually keep them quiet while the short-reign cools down and stops them from rejecting invitations to feasts. If your crown laws are for Papal appointment, you can switch to Free Investure, which gives a small bonus for vassals that themselves have bishop vassals (and any direct bishop vassals you have get a more meaty one.)

Otherwise, from a more long-term perspective, you can go to the intrigue menu and see who is most likely to revolt and, hovering over, you can see why. The best thing to do though is to slowly shift the land to members of your dynasty since they get a +10% don't-revolt bonus and have a general +10 opinion. If you can keep your dynasty all the same culture (best done by having the children mentored by people of your culture) then you can get another don't-revolt bonus. This also helps since it improves your dynasty's prestige and that helps by giving your kids more starting prestige. Just watch out for inheritance leading to a member of your dynasty gaining more power than you're comfortable with.

Those are the two ways I deal with it, though sometimes I'll just coax out a revolt when I'm in a strong position so I can replace the more annoying vassals with more passive ones. This doesn't really help at the start of a reign, but is worthwhile to do now and again, especially if you have non-dynastic county/duchy holders.

Losing revolts doesn't actually matter all that much though. Lowering crown authority is annoying, but you can always raise it again later on. By them splitting themselves up, it should be easy enough to reconquer them once you've established yourself more and, once again, having dynastic vassals means that the people that fought for freedom will be your allies to call on. Still, no one really likes losing a war, do they? :)

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Free Investure = Excommunication of the most powerful dukes = imprisonment.

Other than that see that you dukes have the same culture as you and don´t give your sons duchies if you want to avoid succession crisis.
    Also always educate your heir yourself and see that he gets the diplo or military bonus.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

[​IMG]

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I've been reading through a couple of AARs on the Paradox forums and found this little gem. It's an Abyssinia game played, initially, as Ethiopian culture and Monophysite religion. It stays Monophysite for the most part and is also one of the funniest AARs I've ever read. Nothing can ever go right for this guy.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-the-Shadow-of-Certain-Painful-Doom-Abyssinia

If you like AARs (or you've never read one), give this a go and have some fun. I've been giggling like a Japanese schoolgirl all the way through.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I played a game as (the Duchy of) Munster and did Okay. I took over all of Ireland excluding Ulster and Oriel, Ulster because Norway grabbed it early (and unlike Brittany who I stole Tyrone from successfully, Norway would kick my ass) and Oriel because I have no CB and haven't been able to bullshit one.

Eventually I declared the Kingdom of Ireland, but England formed right around then and sent the Duke of Glouchester to take the southern three provinces. Fucker hired all three 60g Merc teams to do it, which left me little flexibility defense-wise [I couldn't afford the 120 ones for very long]. so anyway, surrendered those, then assassinated him [because fuck that guy, really]. His successor [his daughter, as it turns out] repeated the pattern and claimed my capital and attacked me, but this time I kicked her ass and took most of the 3, although it wouldn't let me take any in the peace process because this is the one PI game that you can't do that in (fucking >:/). And now England's at the point where I can't really compete anymore.

Think I'm going to leave that one there and start over and try to unify quicker. I accidentally created Leinster [one of the war types you essentially create another country - I thought I was annexing it for myself) and that took up at least 100 years of my time, because that asshole kept declaring on me as well (despite being blood and having good feelings for me, 60+ relations). Eventually he kicked the can and I rolled his baby son into the floor, but it was a miserable back and forth with mercs up until that point and I wasted a lot of valuable time.

Things I still don't get:

Tech research (as in where to focus)
    Navy (how to transport troops, more than anything)

Also, happiest moment of my life in the late game when my levies had enough people to siege without needing mercs to do it. Sew many wars :3

10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I thought that was part of the tutorial.

First you have to get your vessels to a dock. Select the vessels you want, and then send them to the county [not the sea next to the county, but the actual land] you want them to dock at.

Second select your troops in that county.

Third, there should be an "embark" button on the army screen of whatever army you selected. Click that, and your troops will move onto your vessels.

Fourthly, select the group of vessels and then click on the land destination where you want them to disembark. If you target a county which you own, or an enemy one where you've besieged and conquered [all of the cities/castles/churches, or just some?], then your vessels will be able to dock and quickly disembark the troops. If you don't have control of the county, then your vessels will stop along the coast and your troops will perform a very slow beach landing and suffer a large military penalty against any defenders.

nb. Your troops will suffer losses from attrition during a voyage if you have too many troops in one sea.

nb2. I think you can have 100 troops in one vessel. So if you want to transport an army of 1000 troops, you need at least 10 vessels, and all of those vessels must be combined into one unit. If you only had 9 vessels, then your 1000 man army would refuse to embark. The same goes if you have 2 groups of 5 vessels.

If your 1000 troops can be broken down into smaller armies [only possible if made up of levies from different sources], then you'd be able to send them in smaller groups. Useful if you don't have enough vessels to move them all at once.

nb3. You have to get your troops back on your land and your vessels back in your ports before you disband them, otherwise they'll face heavy losses, even if there's no war going on. Any territory owned by you will do.

nb4. Just like the beach landing, you can do the reverse and have your troops embark on your vessels from the shore when there's no friendly territory to pick them up from. Again, it'll take a while to do this.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Good man. o/ Didn't do the tutorial, just leaned on IRC [Fiat/Trag] for help when I got stuck.

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I've read through the thread and have been on the fence with this game for awhile. It looked very intriguing with its depth and the way things could turnout in every scenario. Hadn't bought it, but thought I would eventually sometime.

Then I read through the above thread. Just bought it. Looks like I'm in for some initial headaches and fun.

13. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The tutorial kind of sucked. I'd never have managed without it, but it's still sucky. It didn't explain 90% of what I just said. That's all trial and error.

14. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Xiph, unless the Duke of Gloucester spent a bunch of time fabricating claims in Ireland, he must have had some sort of claim - and for it to be those three provinces it would have had to been from someone from your family. Did you marry off a daughter to him? Did one of your sons run off to his court? Ireland is considered 'tutorial island' by a lot of the Paradox veterans because everyone's on a more-or-less equal footing, so starting as Munster (with a second province and a de jure claim on a third) or Dublin (inherits a second province very early, letting him form two duchies without having to conquer anything) gives you an advantage over your neighbours, and very rarely does anyone outside the island get involved.

And don't write off your ability to fight against England and win. The most games it gets conquered by either the Normans or the Norwegians, and England's new ruler has to march uphill against foreigner relationship maluses as well as the Godwinsons still holding territory in England. A united Ireland can take on a divided England and win, especially if you can secure an alliance with the French or Scots, or just build up a war-chest and bring in a bunch of mercs.

As for technology, Legalism and the castle income upgrades are what I focus on, as well as the military tech that increases whatever your culture's specialty is - I think it's heavy infantry for the Irish. Early game you've got more important things to worry about, but once you're established it can pay dividends to park your Marshal, Steward and... religious guy on your capital, all researching.

15. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

The game is ridiculous. I had a save I ended up calling "saviour of the realm"; I started as Lancaster and through a swift assassination I ended up claiming the whole of the North down to Warwick. Hardrada and William the Bastard ended up fighting eachother with huge 6k stacks at Northumberland, and I raised the North up to fight for the king. This kept happening with several invasions, and I just had too good a time pretending I was the Warden of the North to try and sieze the kingdom for myself; honour was too strong! It eventually all fell apart with a typical succession failure and I last played it when I was down to a 2-part dem and a single vassel. I will bide my time, repopulate my court, and then strike again when I can!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  16. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

So, I downloaded the Game of Thrones mod a little while back, but it's not working for me.

I have version 1.06b of CKII and version 0.1.1 of the mod. DLC I have are the Coat of Arms pack 1, Mongol face pack, Ruler designer and a couple of music DLCs. When I run the game with the mod enabled the screen flickers black for a second and then goes back to the desktop without starting the game.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

17. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No idea but it's caused me to completely miss out on playing this mod. ;-;

18. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

19. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

There's a GoT mod? Bye bye life...

20. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Thanks for that ketz3r, I just googled the mod and went to the first link spat out at me, seems that one's outdated.