1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Weaver Nine updated.
    Happy now someone010101? You fucking jinxed it.

2. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

All I can say is FUCK!

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well fuck. This is how Endbringers are supposed to be.

4. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Weaver Nine is wanking Leviathan too hard, I think.

He's beyond canon!Endbringers right now, because of the following:

1. He can bypass the Manton effect and kill capes from a distance now. Never demonstrates it in canon, but it seems like a reasonable extrapolation until you look at the section where the Simurgh, under Tattletale's orders, attacks a group of the Yangban. She has no reason to hold back at this point in canon, so she'd logically just bypass the manton effect and lift the Yangban up and squish them to bits. Instead, the writing makes it clear that instead:
    "She gave no sign she’d listened. Her telekinesis grabbed four members of the Yàngbǎn who’d gotten too close, lifting them by their costumes or by some other debris that had surrounded them."
    So we can be pretty confident that, given that the Simurgh has NO reason to hold back at this point, that she can't bypass the Manton effect. I think you can extend that to Leviathan and say he probably can't bypass the Manton effect either. Also, when Leviathan takes on a bunch of capes in the same arc (same chapter as well I think) he fights a bunch of capes using around the same techniques he does in canon. No Manton bypassing, when, as with Simurgh, he has NO reason to hold back.

2. Leviathan doesn't show any signs of damage or malfunction when his core gets damaged, which doesn't square with canon:

"They tilted as the tower did, but neither Endbringer moved. The Simurgh had both feet pressed against Leviathan’s stomach, one hand reaching up to grip his face, the other hand holding the gladius she’d made, buried so deep in Leviathan’s sternum that only a little bit of the handle stuck out."

"He didn’t rise. He twitched, lashed out with his tail, dashing three already tattered buildings to smithereens, then gushed with water, producing four or five times his body weight in water without even moving.

Death throes?

She’d hit his core."

"Leviathan continued to move with an almost excruciating slowness as he reached out with his claws, extending each arm to his sides, like a figure crucified.

The wound was superficial, but he was acting like he’d received a more grievous wound than any of us had dealt in the past."

"“Upgraded Leviathan,” Tattletale said. “Attuned some device to the right frequency or setting, then tapped into his core without doing too much harm to Leviathan. Fed things into there. Knowledge, data, nanotechnology.”"

What happens in that sequence?
    Simurgh, with some unknown weapon/device, penetrates Leviathan to the core, then modifies it somehow, and Leviathan changes. When she hits the core, Leviathan goes still, then carefully pulls out the weapon.

To me that implies that hitting his core is a pretty dangerous thing for him. Its not something he shrugs off until a third of his core is gone like in Weaver Nine. At the very least he'd malfunction or something when his core gets hit. As is he seems to suffer ZERO damage or change from hitting his core, which seems pretty strange to me.

The first or second time Flechette hits his core, IMO, he should be a goner.

5. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

YES! The other shoe dropped!

Dont quite like the way it happened
    (to much powers going head to head, ludicrous power up instead of leaving the defenders at least the shadow of hope, Jack, Fletchette and the Society, the ones actually dealing damage against it still active, but it's nitpicking at this point. Others may like this way better. Kind of hope Scion or Eidolon drive it off, just to reinforce the "needed worthy opponents" or saved by higher forces feeling.

Very much, thank you.

6. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Weaver Nine updated again. I think any complaints about named characters not dying are officially addressed.

7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Weaver Nine just updated twice.

Freaking loving this. And I'll repeat what I said before - I've never read a fanfiction Endbringer attack that has engaged me this much before. Jack was the perfect POV for it too. It gave you the emotion and rush you wouldn't get if it was from Weaver or Tattletale's POV.

And it made that win so glorious, after they worked so freaking hard for it.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Girls Who Can't Unplug by Lavanya Six

A one-shot about Amy and Lisa before the series. Brilliant take on the characters, capturing how both of them are messed up by their powers and other things, how both of them would struggle with relationships. Great stuff, loved it, captured both of the characters really well. Probably the best Tattletale and the use/issue of her powers that I have seen so far.

I also love what that means for the canon Tattletale and the friendship to the Undersiders and Taylor especially, since I never realized to THAT degree of influence that her powers have on her life. Like, sure, i knew on some level but not like this. Really good. Love it. Check it out.

5/5

Edit:

Same author has other one-shots as well, I quite liked this one also:

A Lighter Shade of Gray

This is a Skitter centric one, also quite short. After meeting the Undersiders and being attacked by Bitch, Taylor takes off. Short snippet on how it might go for her, giving a taste to this new continuity, which I find to be rather interesting and believable, even if I am no fan of Taylor and the Undersiders being enemies.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

All the Worm attempts at romance I've read so far are either cheesy fluff or just bad guilty pleasures. The Girls Who Can't Unplug feels like the first Worm romance that is genuine quality, despite being a one-shot.

Shipping Tattletale with anyone is hard, because of her power. But instead of ignoring the issues revolving around it, this fic addresses it directly. Same thing for Amy's severe issues. Creates this amazing, awkward, messed up relationship that somehow works. You can feel them both struggling with every line of dialogue they make to each other, which makes for this really entertaining dynamic.

As Nemrut said as well - great take on Tattletale's POV too. Most fics that portray her power make it a bit too convenient. I think this did a good job of showing that it goes in loops, takes her in strange directions and gives her red herrings just as much as it gives her the right answer.

Anyway, I think it's too short to be a proper 5/5. Wish the author continued it - probably as a set of drabbles (and I don't usually do drabbles).

Edit: Also, another Weaver Nine update. Leviathan arc is over.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  10. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, that was great. The author has a lot of skill at the character development side of writing as well as the action, though the Jack/Good Girl bonding felt a bit clunky in places.

12. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

yea formatting with Panacea dialogue felt a bit strange, just using the exclamation point would have been fine.

13. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I just read through some words on spacebattles titled Go Gently, it's 5 chapters long and reads quite well.

Here's the link.

14. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Go Gently is a refreshing and original fic. It's a crossover, but I believe the crossover will only extend to what type of power Taylor will get. That's another thing, it's a prologue and three chapters in and Taylor hasn't triggered it, instead using the time to explore the divergences the prologue set up.

The only thing I could see impacting the promise of this fic is the softening of certain characters.

Lung's secret identity is Taylor's next-door neighbor, and they share a growing friendship as Danny distances himself from Taylor, leaving Lung as the only adult supervision in her life. This doesn't change the fact that the ABB and Lung dabbles in sex trafficking. This fic takes place about two years before canon, but surely that stuff is still going on.

Also, Sophia becomes Taylor's friend in this. It's still early on, and while Taylor recognizes Sophia's a sociopath, I can't see them getting along because their world-views are so different. If the author ignores Sophia's grating and dumb attitude to keep her friends with Taylor, it'll be a point against this fic.
    It's too early to rate- Actually, no.

5/5.

I REALLY ENJOYED IT OKAY.

15. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I thought Lung's identity was pretty known, and he only wore a mask for formalities sake? Isn't he a 7 foot tall muscled Asian with dragon tattoos?

16. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's how I saw him too, in canon. I can't recall how tall he is but I know he's over 6-foot. As long as he's not too tall and wore long-sleeves, he can probably hold a secret identity, if he wanted to.

17. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

I was more of the opinion that he just didn't bother with the whole double life thing in America. He was just Lung full time. But Go Gently is good enough that I don't mind. It's also amusing that everyone around Taylor is a cape, and she draws some silly conclusions instead of realizing it.

18. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I'll second 'Go Gently' (or fourth it, in this case).

It's never really explicitly shown in canon how Lung goes about his life, so that's not really a sticking point for me. That, and as far as divergences go, it's hardly big enough to be noticeable anyway.

I'm really liking the slower pace so far. It's setting everything up beautifully and really fleshing out the characters.

19. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

What I like best about Go Gently is that everyone is getting superpowers, except Taylor. This is hilarious.

20. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Having just re read the whole story again, I think this is the best piece of fan fiction for Worm by a pretty comfortable margin. It's original, the writing quality is pristine, the humour in it manages to be clever without degenerating into a crack fic, and perhaps most importantly it doesn't have that locker scene again.

Much like a burger from McD's, I'm lovin it.

Not open for further replies.