1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Lost Magic: First Contact by MightyFish - M - HP/Mass Effect

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by gbbz, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, the games are there... I've had enough of those characters to be perfectly honest.

If someone wants to flesh things out and make characters in the universe I'll actually like, I won't complain.

It gets annoying when authors let stories get away from them and never finish though.

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It updated to chapter 8. His desire for stupid long chapters has finally done me in. I couldn't focus with all these characters and I started to skip stuff on mass.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Ouch, 21k words. That's... yeah, that's really a lot of words, for not a whole lot happening. I just wish he'd fucking move along this, move past the First Contact War. And most of all, I wish he'd put out that whole notion of 'killing is bad for you' from Harry's head, because I can't stand how angsty it comes off.

4. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

This story's major flaw stays the same: pacing.

5. Boo

Boo Auror

I think the whole premise is the First contact war.

At least that's what I got from the title.

6. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

The latest chapter had me cringing. Pacifist Harry is unreadable.

7. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

There's a difference between being unwilling to slaughter everyone without an attempt at negotiation and pacifism, especially since he kills one of the Turian ships straight up. Harry is far more passive than I'd like I'll admit, but he is someone who used nonlethal spells on Death Eaters.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    I've no problem with his character, I've said as much in my review. I'll be genuinely annoyed though if by trying to keep so many plates spinning, none fall and smash up his annoying face.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    I almost quit the story outright when the author started the new chapter by warning us that there was a major info-dump incoming.

Pro tip: If you feel like you need to warn your readers of something tedious in the coming chapter, don't fucking do it!

I got about three-quarters of the way through instead before quitting the story. The pace was an issue before, but it was practically glacial now.

While I didn't have any huge problems with his characters before, there was something about this chapter that made Harry just insufferable.

Slow pace and a slow/ unlikable character? No thanks.

It's a shame, because I kinda really wanna see how not killing Seran will come back and screw Harry over, but it's not worth the likely million words I'd have to read to get to that point.

10. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Still reading, but I agree. Given the slow pacing of the story when I read there was an info-dump inbound which required a warning I braced myself.

Overall enjoying the story, and the info-dump which didn't give away too much information for the amount of words it took up, a serious feat.

My expectations now are that maybe one or two things of relevance happen in each chapter. In most stories this would be acceptable, given the word count of these chapters it just drags on.

For instance, a spectre preceding an envoy has finally appeared, but moneys on it will still take at least 2-3 chapters before they actually make contact with the humans. Such is my faith in the pacing.

The third faction has finally appeared and seems to be making contact already within the next chapter, so there is no issues there.
    Enjoying the story, especially because my ME knowledge is limited. Update rate is somewhat regular with a huge word count, just wishing more would happen in those words.