1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. EmeraldGuardian

EmeraldGuardian First Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Please tell me you are actually planning on writing this. If your follow through on writing this is as good as your presentation of the idea, I think this could be one of the best Harry/Fleur fics to date. Please post something on here letting us know if you decide to go forward with it. All the best!

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Truly like it.

I'd make Harry less rich, however. He still needs to work, although maybe not full time. And that's why he takes a stipend from the government to keep an eye out for Dark Wizards in his job. But, I do see a plothole—how would an 18-20 year old get that kind of position when he first moved down there (whether he's paid or not)?

An easy fix, IMO, is giving him a little more training. Harry and Ron join the Aurors after school as planned. They go through training and finish just as he turns 21 (3 years). Six month later, Ron's killed on the job. Harry takes it hard and after the funeral, gives notice that he's leaving the Aurors. He's young and has had enough of that kind of life. That's why he moves to a warm place with lots of sand—but doesn't isolate himself, of course. The govt. there gets in touch with him because the DMLE head in England knows a guy who knows a guy . . . So it's professional courtesy.

It also provides another layer of character development when the murders begin. Harry is originally resists getting involved. But when one of the murders strikes too close to home, it flips a switch in him.

Or, something along those lines.

3. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    If Ron dies, will Hermione's fate be an important part of the plot?
    IMO killing Ron might add some complexities that might detract from the H/F part.

Maybe he just doesn't like the level of control and the constant political agendas that make up his red tape.
    *wink wink unspeakable wink wink*.

Any major role for the elder wand? *hint hint*

A guy can hope. I love arcane magic/battle-mode Harry. There's not enough of that IMO except for awesome-Dumbledore in book 5.

To get back on topic, what happens to Bill? Why would he fall apart with Fleur? Does he die?

4. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Your winking is making me very uncomfortable.

5. Ankan

Ankan Professor

I overheard a rumour that he the last chicken he winked at ended up on his plate, so tread forward with caution.

6. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    Said rumor remains unconfirmed.

7. EmeraldGuardian

High Score:
    Last night I was googling Harry/Fleur looking to see if I could find any good new stories when I came across some kind archived thread for Harry/Fleur on this forum (It's not the same one - I checked). Anyway, people were discussing how Fleur is the closest the Harry Potter universe gets to a Bond girl. They were throwing around some ideas about making a James Bond like fanfiction. I don't think it ever got written. This got me thinking of my own ideas with this theme when I suddenly realized it fit with another partial plot bunny had in the back of my head already.

I was thinking of the setting it after OotP. Harry is back at the Dursley's and has been spending a lot of time thinking about the prophecy. He's not sure he believes that the 'power the Dark Lord knows not' is love like Dumbledore claims but doesn't completely dismiss it because he did say that it was being studied in the department of mysteries. He then realizes that the unspeakables must already know about the prophecy after storing it for so many years and they would probably be able to figure out better than anyone what this power is. He's pretty sure Neville's uncle is an unspeakable (I can't even remember if this is canon or fanon at this point?). Harry decides to head to the Ministry and try and talk to someone (either sneaking past order guards or somehow convincing Tonks to help him).

In a yet to be determined fashion he will end up talking to the head unspeakable who agrees to run some tests. The only thing they discover is that he has the affinity to wield this one kind of ancient magical weapon (a special dagger - won't go into it too much detail here because I haven't completely worked it out - it won't make Harry OP... will take him some time to come into his power) that hasn't been able to be used in centuries. It just so happens the last existing one resides with the Malfoys (or some other rich family) who will be showing it off at a yearly gala they hold, hosted by Draco for the fist time as his father is in Azkaban. Unnamed head unspeakable decides its imperative that Harry gets a hold of this dagger, so he can begin to train or they are all doomed in the war against Voldemort. It is normally kept in their Gringotts Vault but for the evening it will be in their mansion, even though Gringotts will be hired to run security on the object.

Fast forward to the night of the event, Harry goes on his mission and is about to steal it when he runs into another would be thief, non other than Fleur Delacour, who has been working at Gringotts for the past year all so she could get close enough to steal this dagger. We find out later she has been working for Perenelle Flamel (I'm pretty sure there is another story out there where Fleur knows Perenelle but I can't remember which one and it shouldn't be similar to this one at all) who employs people to collect magical artifacts around the world, that she deems to dangerous to be left alone, to hide away somewhere. They end up tripping the security and both try to escape. Harry get's trapped in some kind enchantment and Fleur takes the dagger off of him. She is about to leave him there when she realizes it will probably cost him his life. She goes back, pulls him out safely, telling him she had now payed off her debt to him for saving Gabrielle.

Harry returns to the DoM empty handed. After telling them what happened, and getting thoroughly chastised, they are able to help him track where Fleur has gone. He is able to observe and evesdrop on a public rendezvous between Fleur and Perenelle, learning that the dagger is currently being stored in Fleur's flat in Paris. He finds his way there and attempts to break in. Struggling against the protective enchantments she has set. What he doesn't know is ever since Malfoy manor he has been followed by another shadowy organization eager to get their hands on the dagger and he's led them right to it. He's stunned before he even realized someone else is there and they take it. Fleur comes home to find an unconscious Harry in her flat.

After waking him up, he explains what he remembers and they talk. Finally deciding to work together to get the dagger away from this new party, they start looking for clues. Not sure about the details for this part but they do of course eventually get it back. Somehow during this time she discovers the real reason he is after the dagger and about the prophecy and after talking to Perenelle, they allow him to have it. They start falling for each other sometime during this part of the story as well. Then Harry returns to Hogwarts acting as if nothing is out of the ordinary but he starts sneaking out at nights where Harry and Fleur start going on assassination missions of known Death Eaters.

This is as far as I've got on my plot ideas so far. What do you guys think? Do you like the plot idea? Do you think this is a realistic way for Harry and Fleur to get together? Any suggestions? I'm probably going to work on this story as soon as I'm done my current one.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I feel like I have read that exact plot using the Dagger McGuffin before, a couple months ago.

9. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fanon. Definitely fanon.

Why would an Unspeakable care for Voldemort winning or not? Why would Harry be the one stealing it, anyway?

Eh. Never been very enthused by shadowy organizations. You could probably replace their role in the plot with Voldemort without losing a lot.

It's got problems (like those mentioned above, or not knowing what the dagger does - fairly important, that, especially as Harry has "high affinity for it"), and I can't quite see Harry pulling off heists in his fifth/sixth year. For that matter, you need to decide how big of a role the Unspeakables are going to play. They show up to introduce the dagger, then fade in the background for the rest of the fic? That seems strange.

I'd probably still read it, though.

10. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm pretty sure @Lungs started writing one.

EDIT: Found it here

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  11. mort

mort Groundskeeper

To be honest, 'meh' was my initial reaction and, upon thinking about the idea again, 'meh' was my final reaction too.
    I just don't understand why having Harry be given a special power is so appealing. In my opinion there's already enough going for him in canon (wand, prophecy, blood protection) to build something off. That is if you have to build something of the sort. I prefer a Harry who can't handle a Bellatrix in a straight up duel, let alone Voldemort. A Harry who, by virtue of planning ahead, improvisation, small doses of luck and blatant cheating- comes out ahead.
    If you absolutely must have a secret agent, Unspeakable! Harry- that's the sort I'd like to read about.

That's also a Harry I think would be easiest to throw together with Fleur, smart, daring, roguish etc. etc.
    Tl;dr IndyJones!Harry ftw

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're going to have them in Australia might as well link it up with going to fetch Hermione's parents.

It also gives the perfect reason for Harry and Ginny to break up without it being epic friendship-ending drama: Harry wants to stay in Australia and chill, Ginny wants to go back to England to pursue her career.

13. EmeraldGuardian

High Score:
    Was it ever continued or did it stop after a couple chapters because it looked abandoned to me? I'm not sure what exactly his whole idea was but I think I might continue with mine because I think it will probably be different enough.

Why wouldn't an Unspeakable care if Voldemort winning? I don't think they would be untouched by whats going on in the wizarding world. Unless they are his supporters I don't think they would likely want him ruling England. After taking over, he'd probably come and clean out all their knowledge of magic they have studied, force them to develop things for him or just kill them so he is the only one in possession of all that knowledge.

As for why would Harry be the one sent to retrieve the dagger? Well I guess I just sort of forced that for plot purposes. Maybe the Unspeakable wants to help but can't authorize an actual official mission for some reason. Does anyone have any good ideas of why Harry should be the one sent.

Another idea: Maybe the Goblins are the only once capable of touching safetly other than someone with the power to use it and Harry is the only one they know of who can at this point. Fleur is given something to carry it from Perenelle that works similar to how the Goblins move it?

Ok for the dagger, what I'm thinking so far is that it has the power to drain away someones magic, leaving them squibs except everyone who has tried using it for the past several centuries has suffered it's power even by just picking it up (though it's temporary when your not stabbed with it). I got the idea from a book series by Author Brent Weeks who had a knife that did something similar. In that series the power drain wasn't instantaneous though and the more power the knife absorbed the bigger it grew until eventually it was a sword.

I can't really see Harry pulling off heists at first either so thats why I thought the Unspeakables would give him some basic training (not enough to make a difference) and also some specially enchanted objects to help him get past the wards. That is why when things go wrong when Fleur arrives, he is so easily trapped by the protections she goes back and frees him from.

I don't want the unspeakables to fade into the background either. I want them to be ordering the later missions to assassinate the Death Eaters. During this time he works mostly with Fleur who is helping him now and maybe some other agents once and a while.

I could easily replace the organization with Death Eaters trying to get it back. I just sort of put that there as a place holder while I thought about it.

Anyway, this will only by my second more seriously planned out fic so I want to do it well. My writing is getting better than my first abandonned attempt (I abandonned my first two stories and am currently working on my first planned one... hopefully done soon). I'm learning more all the time so I will take any and all advice of how to perfect the idea before I start writing. Maybe someone on this thread will be interested in being a beta for me? I've never had one before so it would probably be a good idea to make sure I don't go off the rails with this story. Let me know guys. Thanks!

EDIT: If a lot of people really hate the magical artifact and giving Harry some kind of special power... I could just make it that Harry finds out that Voldemort is looking for this powerful artifact so Harry wants to keep it out of his hands... lead into my story idea minus some small changes based on this.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  14. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

If I were to write a Bond!Harry I would probably change a few things.

GoF: The tournament did not happen in 4th year, but in 7th, putting the resurrection of Voldemort on the backseat for a few more years.

Order of the Phoenix: More Black Ops/Spy style. Faced with the denial of Voldemort's rebirth, Dumbledore reforms the Order with the goal of infiltration (Snape) to gather intel, and surgical strikes with groups of trained soldiers (the DA gradutates).

Harry is their field agent (007). Hermione is Q/research. Ron is perhaps another field agent, leading a team of DA members. Dumbledore is obviously M, leading the Order and ordering missions. Fleur is going to be the bond!girl.

The plot would be Harry tracking down the escapees from Azkaban, disrupting Voldemort's plans and locating him, as well as hunting the horcruxes. You could make it multiple 'volumes'.

15. EmeraldGuardian

High Score:
    Would you have Fleur be the same age as Harry then? Would Harry enter the tournament willingly as he is now of age? Is that still how he meets Fleur? If so how does Fleur get involved with the order and all that?

If I followed this kind of idea I would probably scrap the whole ancient artifact thing unless after assassinating a bunch of Death Eaters, they come across intel that Voldemort is searching for something and they try to get it first (but at that point I would scrap the whole Harry having a special power though).

Also would you write your own version of the tournament first and then at the end of the year have Voldemort resurrected like in GoF than the spy stuff starts?

16. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah it's a good angle, and I've started plotting the fic, but I think the split isn't as severe as it could be because of magical modes of transportation. Half a world away is only a swift collection of portkeys. Less than most peoples' commutes, really. I like that Harry's lifestyle, laid back and time to catch his breath, is at odds with Ginny pursuing her career. That works.

Possibly tie the break up with it being peace time for Harry - for the first time in years. Without the war and the danger, he and Ginny don't work. There's no sense of desperation, no need to hang on to what felt right at the time.

I may do something crazy with this idea and plot it properly. Now there's cause for concern.

17. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I would just start with the spy stuff after Hogwarts. I wouldn't elaborate much on the tournament, just that it happened in year 7 instead of 4 and that Harry won it and Voldemort rebirth happened there.

Fleur would be doing her own stuff as a graduate by that time, having never met Bill Weasley, she wouldn't be married to him and would probably be doing some other job that would conflict with Harry's first mission or something similar. If I remember my canon correctly, Fleur was working for Gringotts right? Perhaps she's making a job for them, tracking down some priceless artefact such as the Cup of Hufflepuff (which would coincidentally not be inside a vault, but secured elsewhere by Bellatrix). Harry is after the cup, Fleur is after the cup, Bellatrix is protecting the cup. Cue the flirting, fucking, backstabbing and escape of Fleur as Harry scrambles to make himself scarce once Voldemort learns of the cup disappearance and Bellatrix's death.

Second mission, Harry is after one of Voldemort's most prominent Death Eaters, Lucius Malfoy. There's a ball or some other form of social event at the Malfoy's Manor. Harry uses his fame to be invited and Fleur, her charms (a foreign ministry wants access to some document of Malfoy). They enjoy some flirting on the dance floor, veiled insult fly, etc. They leave the ballroom, Harry intended on finding intel on Voldemort movements and his plans, or perhaps some blackmail to put Malfoy behind bar for good. They both end up in the same room and maybe a little bit of dueling and flirting and perhaps a searing kiss, before Harry extricates himself this time and let Fleur hang. She get caught and soon enough Voldemort shows up (discreetly), however Harry recognizes the signs (scar pain) and seek her out because there's no way he's leaving anyone to Voldemort's tender mercy. Cue some fighting and an in extremist escape of our protagonists.

No idea what would happen after that.

Actually, would anyone be interested in reading that? I'm going to have plenty of time on my hand and I might decide to take a swing at it if people think it could be a good premise. I would obviously need to work on a bunch of details, but that can come after.

18. EmeraldGuardian

High Score:
    I would be very interested in reading that... obviously because I was wanting to writing something along a similar lines and brought it up today. Have you ever written anything with another author before? I've seen it done a couple times for fics but I don't know how common a practice it is. I really want to do something Bond!Harry but am a little worried about screwing it up as I'm relatively new in writing instead of just reading (I have read a LOT of fics though). If your interested let me know (not sure how it would work but we could figure it out. If not I understand and I might go back to something closer to my original idea.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To get better you've gotta start somewhere. Might as well be an idea you like.

20. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm taking this as a promise. And I take promises seriously.

[​IMG]

Joe