1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Feoffic, Sep 10, 2015.

?

What brand is your underwear?

1. Instinct

28.1%
  2. Mystic

43.9%
  3. Valor

28.1%
  1. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

damn you and your awesome house spawns! My house spawns psyducks and Tentacools.

Also this: Can't even power him up anymore til I level again, and he evo'd from a 130 Magikarp!
    [​IMG]

2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Was in the local city today for a friend's birthday... Holy shit it's unfair.

My town has ~30 locations, including five gyms. City had four gyms in a ten minute walk, and I filled my inventory too, without touching even half of the stops. On top of that, pokemon were spawning everywhere - there was nearly always at least one pokemon on one footstep, and at least three on two.

But the most unfair thing is the amount of players.

So my town, I've never seen anyone playing. Nobody has ever approached me and asked if I'm playing.

In the city, I had a man run up to me, ask if I was hunting, and then tell me that the Pinsir is "just over there, next to the ice cream truck. And Magikarp spawn in that pool over there every twenty minutes or so. I dropped a lure, too". Whilst walking to the ice cream truck, I had three more people point out where the Pinsir was, and found someone literally holding up a recruitment sign for Team Valour, to go on a citywide gym raid.

I might be going back next week.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    People bitching about shitty house spawns when I don't even have a spawn at all. D:

Agh, actually tracking down Pokemon is irritatingly sparse. I don't even have it that bad, but I know it's amazing in other places/cities and it makes me so envious.

Went out to a tiny, tiny park and beat up a gym a bit. Two other guys wandered into the area and set up a lure of nowhere, so we hung out a bit in the 97 degree weather just talking about Pokemon.

I do love this game.

4. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    There are dratini that spawn by my work. Caught one at lunch. They evolve at 25 so I need to start grinding away to get more dratini. Does any one know how many km does a dratini egg has. The Highest KM egg I have is 10 and that gave me an eeve.

5. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Dratini come out of 10 km eggs.

Also, I recommend you do NOT evolve your Dratini immediately.

The reason for this is that as your level goes up, so too do the CP of the pokemon you catch. A dratini you catch at level 5 might be around 50-150. The Dratini you catch at 20 Might be around 300-600.

When you evolve a pokemon, its CP gets multiplied. Multiplying up a 100 CP is much worse then a 450 CP.

Since your goal is presumably an awesome Dragonite, I suggest waiting to evolve until you have enough Candies to go straight to Dragonite (ie 125), then seeing how high your highest CP Dratini is.

6. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That's... Not how it works.

Trainer Level gates the maximum CP a pokemon can have. As you level up, the cap increases dynamically for all your current and future pokemon. A 10 CP dratini now might have access to 10% of your current cap of 100, but a Dratini you catch with 10% later might have 100 CP because it has access to a 1k CP cap. Your 10 CP Dratini though would also have access to that same 1k CP cap at this time and could be upgraded to be just as powerful.

Powering up a pokemon unlocks a flat amount of CP. Evolution doesn't "Multiply CP" so much as it carries your current CP percentage to a larger CP maximum.

Raising a low CP pokemon only means more resources are sunk. That's it. Because you'd have to bring your low 10 CP unit up to the 300 CP unit's level via pure candy, but both would have roughly the same maximums barring whatever the RNG CP and HP caps are.

Ideally, you'd be picking your pokemon based on whatever final attacks they have. Attacks are the only things you can't fix via time on a pokemon. Choosing something with useful attacks and moderately high CP is the ideal, not purely the highest CP.

EDIT: TL;DR Don't waste time on power ups. Only evolve until you get your perfect attacks on a mon. Once perfected, throw everything at that one mon as he'll always be relevant long as you keep dumping candy/star dust.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  7. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

You misunderstood or I misworded, but we said essentially the same thing- The difference between a base pokemon and its evolution is that, at any particular point on its arc, the evolution has a higher amount of cp (aka its multiplier is higher).

Higher amount of cp on base pokemon leads to higher amount on finished product. You can judge that by how far along it is in its arc, or by raw number, but i'm nearly certain at lower levels you don't catch "perfect" or "further along in the arc" pokemon. I'm pretty sure you catch them at a higher rate at higher level.

Or at least thats what my anecdotal evidence has played out for me.

8. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Thanks for the dratini advise. I am waiting for a luck egg before evolving my pokemon. I have no clue what lvl it becomes available.

Is anyone else collecting magicarp. I want that garados so i am trying to collect 400 candies. 40 and counting

9. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

10. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You can, but the problem is that the arc grows as you level up.

A pokemon you caught at lvl 1 with a 10% arc might have 10 CP for a max of 100 CP.

That same pokemon at lvl 2 though will have a bigger max arc of 200 because you leveled up. Even though it's still the same 10 CP, it's now only 5%.

And so on and so on. The pokemon at the higher ends of your current level spawn at a higher current arc percentage, but will be inferior to future pokemon you find at a higher level just because a 10% of a 300 arc is better than a 10% of a 200 arc on capture.

Again, all fixed by feeding them full of candies.

EDIT: Thought of a better way to put it. Vanilla WoW (Base Trainer Level) + Expansion (Next Trainer Level) = Higher Character Level Cap (CP Maximum)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Great explanation - that's exactly how I hoped it worked, though I was unable to put it properly into words.

This, to me, is the important bit. While in the vast majority of cases I'll want to just catch better pokemon at higher levels that are further along with CP... there is going to be that one.

That one, singular pokemon that I run across in every game that sticks with me for the entire thrice damned time even if it makes no real sense. Like the Sandslash from Blue when I was just a kid. That thing and I were tight, yo.

I'll name it and we will be the bestest of buddies ever and it will never leave my side and it will not be a pikachu.

So even if it starts with 10 / 100 CP, at 10%, and then it ends up being 5% (10 / 200) as soon as I level... so long as I can 'fix' it, and make it just as good in endgame if I'd waited to catch it til I was higher level... that's okay.

It's only one pokemon, after all. The rest can be treated properly for a competitive game, and if I get lucky I won't find my 'buddy' til I'm high level anyway.

12. Rah

Rah Death Eater

I just found out that the Ingress app can tell you where high concentration of pokemon spawns are.

They use the same concept as PKMN Go (cell/data usage) but Ingress actually shows you where its concentrated most. Just downloaded it and going to try it out tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a horsea spawn point so i can get my Kingdra in the north!

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kingdra isn't in the game, lol.

Rah
  14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Most you can get is Seadra atm.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So annoyed I can't get Umbreon T_T

16. Rah

Rah Death Eater

I'm so disappointed right now ://

Only reason i joined team blue was for the kingdra in the north jokes!!

Oh well I saw some rumor that they'll add more Pokemon around December.

17. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

You could make Seaking in the North jokes instead.

Rah
  18. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  19. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Don't worry, half the team mystic memes are about DABIRDINDANORF.

20. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Gave up, and downloaded the apk.

Hopefully I haven't downloaded anything "extra" with it, since it's not from official store.

Used the backpedaling method to get a pikachu starter (yes, that works), and caught a few random creatures while at work. Will take a peek at the city soon. See how that works.