1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

It's An Owners Market - Game Over!

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Regfan, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Newcomb, do you usually do this much team-hunting / considering scum pairs on D1?

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Think about me looking at those interactions and taking you as mafia as given and asking "is Jarizok mafia based on this?".

---------- Post automerged at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Moreso lately. Found it pretty helpful in faster MU games as a kind of building block, and in slower MTGS games as a way to get a foothold when I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels. But I'd say I don't "usually" do anything when I'm attempting to catch up.

I am reading posts and grabbing onto anything that catches my eye at this point.

3. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    This is a heads up that day ends in exactly 24 hours!

4. Newcomb

Thread entrance level:

[​IMG]

---------- Post automerged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

The fuck happened to my gif

[​IMG]

---------- Post automerged at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

[​IMG]

5. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

I don't want to slow down your read, but me dropping the paranoia after the first bit is intentional. If I didn't feel like one of you and fonti were decently town, I wouldn't neighborize you, for reasons I assume are obvious. That doesn't preclude me being wrong about whoever, but I'm not neighborizing a null/scum read.

6. Newcomb

That's not quite as funny but at least it moves

7. Rubicon

If you learned from MM6, the answer is clearly no.

I realize this is WIFOM coming from me, but my point is I don't understand your point.

8. Newcomb

Why wouldn't you neighborize a scumread?

I'd absolutely neighborize a scumread I wans't sure on. That's probably what I'm gonna do when I win it tonight :dank:

Like, you know my meta.

If you were iffy on me, forcing me to fake both a thread presence and a QT presence would make me really, really, really obvious.

9. Miner

Miner Order Member

If tom is mafia I'm going to flip some shit

10. Rubicon

That'll probably be someone's signature soon.

11. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Ehh.

I'd rather have someone I was sure-ish about with a QT as a mutual sounding board than I would a way to ask my scumreads something I could ask in the thread.

Apparently I'm in the minority there, but c'est la vie.

I suppose I do see your point, though.

12. Newcomb

Talk to me about the evolution of your read on Jarizok and how it makes sense considering your initial spar with him, because that's basically my point.

Like, it's possible I straight up missed some stuff considering my paying-attention level until now has been about 10%, but like.

You punched each other in the face and then quietly hummed a tune and went about your business, from my POV. That doesn't strike me as a v/v interaction, at all.

---------- Post automerged at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Eyes are still glazing over but agreeing more with Rubicon.

Biggest takeaway is super unlikely Typhon/Rubicon are w/w here. Think I had that read before.

13. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

It gets worse, I'm afraid.

14. Rubicon

I could explain the evolution of my Jarizok read, but I have a better idea.
    Jarizok, please explain the evolution of your Rubicon read.

15. Newcomb

Yeah this whole conversation from that to 131 really strikes me as too... not nuanced, exactly, but kind of like careful/guarded/meandering to come from partners.

---------- Post automerged at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Of all the things for Cobalt to pop in and comment on when he's lurking / behind, this is like, ehhhhhh.

Like, you're town, you're just getting into the game, and your method of choice is being all snippy about an essentially semantic argument you weren't even part of?

Looks a little blatantly "talking for the sake of talking"; like he's taking a stance and being assertive but it's completely hollow and empty because okay what does that say about anyone's alignment?

16. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not done my Typhon reread, I’m about 200 words in, but I’m super tired, so here’s what I have so far.

First post. No fluff, immediately goes for the mechanical talk, and there’s nothing wrong with that. This post explains some of Typhon’s odd future behavior, like elect voting me, who wants him lynched, just because I was his top town-read at the time. He follows this line of thought by switching to Jan soon afterwards because Jan had topped me, then to Waco.

This, however, doesn’t go with his first post. Specifically, Typhon said that they should elect the top town player, but only if that player will stick with a plan and isn’t Font or Newcomb. I find this very strange. Four minutes past from his first post to this one, so what’s going on?

I’ve gone over the choice of Neighbourizng Font or Newcomb in length.

I can kind of see what Typhon is getting at if I tilt my head. Sure, technically town has more money in combination, but we aren’t acting in tandem like the scum can. As long as all three scum are alive, they start with $2400. The town can discuss and order people to vote on items, but everyone’s just going to do their own thing with their $500.

The above was my original answer until I read it again and said, “Wait a minute.”

This post implies we should intentionally put the scum items up for auction before everything else so the scum will use up their money, giving room for the town to buy their things. Is Typhon throwing out this idea so a scum Marketplace Owner can safely put up their scum items and sabotge the next couple days’ worth of items (putting the most least helpful town roles up first)? Then the scum Owner dies from lynch, ownership can be passed to an oblivious townie that is ‘revealed’ to be the next owner. “Obviously scum! TOWN, GET THE PITCHFORKS!”

No, no, no, bad idea. Bad.

You could say this is fishing for information, considering Jari brought up the Neighbourizer in the first place so he was obviously thinking about it, but I feel that’s reading too far into things. Eh.

I’m skipping all the posts about why Neighbouring Font or Newcomb might be a bad idea. I went over it.

Ah, the post that started the Typhon/Rubicon feud that’s lasted for decades days. I don’t get where Typhon is coming from. That’s not what Rubicon really said. I’m a cautious scum player, so he’s saying scum!Vira wouldn’t play so risky. And as people replied further down, my Doctor/Hitman comments had mechanical truth to them.

Between these, Rubicon has been trying to explain what he meant, but Typhon isn’t understanding. On one hand, I’ve been in this position before, being unable to get a point until a bolt of understanding clears everything up. On the other hand, he just won’t let it go. Tbh, that feels more towny than scummy.

I’m breaking down this next post.

I’m iffy about the part in brackets, but I’m having trouble deciding why. It feels like it doesn’t need to be here? Like Typhon is backtracking from his plan before he even says it.

Not needed. If we get a town Marketplace Owner, then those powerful scum roles shouldn’t even be up for bidding. And as someone says later, 499 vs. 500 doesn’t matter. Yay, I saved a loonie, that’s so great.

As said, ideally no other scum roles should ever be up for bidding. And what Typhon is actually implying here is the people we’re mislynching should do this, because people who deserve to die will only snatch a town-powerful role before being executed (if they have the money).

No comment.

Decent advice, this is okay.

In all, I don’t like the ideas being implied here.

So much over-explaining here, over one sentence Rubicon made. It’s an awful reason to vote for someone, especially 200 posts in. Would scum be this blatant in trying to lynch someone that has no wagon on them? I think I’d prefer Typhon being scum than town!Typhon over-thinking so much he’s turned into a pretzel.

That's it for now. My brain's mush. I'll get back to this later.

17. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

I don't think you understand how the mechanics work. Marketplace Owner can increase the odds of things appearing, but they don't get to pick. So... I feel like that invalidates a not insignificant portion of that.

I explained the fonti elect vote a few times later in the thread, but the short answer is that it was just a show of approval, same as the votes for you, Jan, and Waco. Did/does anyone honestly think fonti was going to be my top townread at the end of the day? But that's chill, I've been prodded on that by others, I get that it probably reads inconsistent and you have no reason to believe me.

As for the Rubicon, fair enough. I encourage you to revisit it when you get to the words I said later about it, but I think I'm done talking it up now.

---------- Post automerged at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Oh, I missed the 499 v. 500 thing.

That's not to save a dollar. That allows our lynch to win any scum roles up for bid with a 500 bid and take them out of the game. If someone opens with a 500 bid on a scum item, then they'll win it and we risk wasting town money.

(Obviously this assumes scum don't outbid, but they can only do so 3 times, so that's of minimal concern).

18. Newcomb

Yes this is why no one should bid $500 on hitman early obviously. It's the reason for Typhon's 499 thing that Vira doesn't like for some weird reason.

This is all about getting something out of a mislynch. If we hit scum toDay whatever, we can't control that bid, they're gonna do what they're gonna do. Plus, you know, scum lynch, worth it.

If we do mislynch though the way to salvage something out of that is to force them to bid $500 for +EV scum items. Which, yeah, obviously no town should bid $500 on those items unless they're about to be lynched.

The idea is to drain scum's money ASAP; make them either spend 501 on an item they want, or see it leave the game on dead town.

---------- Post automerged at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Why? /10chars

---------- Post automerged at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

This is what made me lean scum on Koalas.

Like, he took a meme that was 100% open to interpretation (well like 75%) and used it to buddy me and also shade Typhon in one sentence.

As mafia here it feels like a pretty safe shot at Typhon I'd imagine.

---------- Post automerged at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

I mean, it does matter if they use it on exactly hitman at EoD so we don't know if it went for 500 or 501, in which case your GD thing wouldn't work, but whatever.

---------- Post automerged at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Jan/Koalas probably not w/w for this exchange

---------- Post automerged at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

YES finally made it to my original catchup.

Feeling less sure on the Jarizok stuff; think it's more predicated on him being with Rubicon.

That fonti thing was tiny but it did feel kinda pockety.

Also think the Miner thing is small but feels pretty solid.

Jarizok/Koalas/Rubicon is probably wrong; still pretty confident that IF one of Jarizok/Rubicon is mafia, they both are, but they could just be v/v. Jarizok's early stuff was more mixed than I remembered and a bunch of people shaded him for it; smells a little like mislynch bait.

Also I feel not sold at all on Jarizok/Koalas; I don't think they're hard unaligned but the interaction I highlighted came across more strongly this time as not w/w.

---------- Post automerged at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Your metaread on me is vastly out of date.

I am one of the easier players in this game to read. In fact, with no Vaimes and no Acio, I'm arguably the /easiest/ person to read in this playerlist.

19. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Disagree. I'm the easiest person in the game to read - if I'm the top poster, let's be honest, I'm town. :p

I'm just sort of :popcorning: your catchup progress. If you have questions or anything, just shout up.

---------- Post automerged at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Ugh. Thanks for that auto emoji DLP, I appreciate it.

20. Newcomb

I could ask "why do you seem so overly reasonable and agreeable and pocket-y?" but that's kind of a rhetorical question if I'm asking exactly you.

You could keep breaking up my automerges though so I get more posts.

---------- Post automerged at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

ooh actually I do have a question

What is your read on tom?

Bear in mind that I'm about to drop my scumread on him and bury him so deep he'll need an industrial laser drill to smell the surface, so now would be a good time to bus him :thumbs:

---------- Post automerged at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

This is potentially actually interesting in italics re: incoming tom read

---------- Post automerged at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Agree with your fonti/Vira thing, though not as strongly. I don't think it's a "afraid of fonti being crazy" thing that's holding me back from strongly agreeing, I think it's a "this was early enough in the game that they could be legitmately misreading the others' posts as mafia" thing. Like... unfamiliar mechanics, making those kinds of reading comprehension mistakes can just, happen, like regardless of the alignments involved.

I think it's less likely for that kind of thing to happen in w/w worlds but I don't think it's lock clearing.

The Cobalt/Vira thing I agree with more, actually. The not mentioning her thing when he's busy throwing shade, not really a thing in wolf!Cobalt/wolf!Vira worlds.

Rubicon/Jarizok not w/w I obviously strongly disagree with. It's a way to discredit Rubicon without actually attacking him, yes, but why do you think that's not a w/w thing? Like... the lack of point or bite to me screams w/w. Super distance-y.

Dislike this question; it feels leading, like you're trying to manipulate me into saying Koalas is scum rather than just coming right out and saying it.

To answer it, though, I think it makes Koalas >rand scum, I think he jumped on the picture and used it to advance a scum agenda, either bussing Typhon or mislynching him; leaning towards the latter, feels like a weak move for a bus; you'd want more credit yourself, I think?

---------- Post automerged at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Man, Waco just feels super on the periphery this game.

Not sure what to make of it, I don't really associate his tone this game with either alignment of the games of his I've seen.

The fact that this is the first post I've felt the desire to comment on, and it was a comment about the lack of content, is probably not a /good/ thing.

He doesn't feel super slimy or agenda-y though, like, just kind of politely quietly doing his thing. Not overly fluffing or trying to active lurk. That I can see.