1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Gaslight by BellonaBellatrix - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Mors, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Title: Gaslight
    Author: BellonaBellatrix
    Category: Dark Arts
    Rating: T
    Words: 7,335
    Published: February 3, 2007

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3375683/1/Gaslight
    Summary: Ginny faces her past, with Harry's help. not as optimistic as you think...

This is a one-shot I found while trawling through fav lists.

I love how the author handles the mental breakdown Ginny experiences. Gaslighting, as the author explains it, is "a form of psychological abuse (that) uses persistent denials of fact which, as they build up over time, make the victim progressively anxious, confused, and less able to trust his or her own memory and perception.

A variation of gaslighting, used as a form of harassment, is to subtly alter aspects of a victim's environment, thereby upsetting his or her peace of mind, sense of security, etc.”

While this may not be the usual Indy!Harry types we're so fond of, the atmosphere and the author's execution of the plot is more than good enough to earn this one a place in the Library.

... For the more mindless bashers, Ginny gets owned.

4.75/5.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 24, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
  2. NightFox

NightFox Seventh Year

Quite a good addition to the library, utilizing a rather confusing chain of events to move forward the plotline. Ginny's insanity was well done, artistically so in a way that allowed for Harry to become even more menacing.

Solid 4/5. Decent writing executed well.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  3. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Simply put, I liked it. The increasing insanity was nicely done. The atmosphere and trippy nature were equally well done. It may be the time I read it but it was difficult to distinguish just what was real and what wasn't, which fits well with the theme. I didn't care about Ginny losing it, though, which is not so much a criticism as something that would have made it perfect.

4/5

4. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Good find, Mors. The best part was how uncertain the story was, even through the end. You really don't know if what you read actually happened, or if Ginny was just insane and fabricating it.

5/5 for mind games.

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I really liked this one too. 4.5/5 from me. It made me want to keep reading it. Very well written, for a horror story.

6. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

Very well written. Nice and twisted.

5/5

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Better than I thought it'd be.

Only thing I didn't like was the fact it was Tom, not actually Harry.

8. kalantha

kalantha Sixth Year

I definitely enjoyed this but I found it to be slightly confusing with the whole memory blank outs and the fact that Harry was Voldemort. Otherwise this was an excellent one-shot therefore I give it a 4/5.

9. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

4/5 from me. An excellent example of psychosis and long term effects. Voldemort was much better than in canon.

10. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    4.5/5 from me, the whole thing was just amazing, even the Harry/Ginny scenes were amazing.

11. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

Really quite interesting and well planned. Had sort of a "Yellow Wallpaper" and "Crime and Punishment" vibe. You know I think the thing I liked best about it was that even at the end you weren't quite positive what was real and not. The "And he smiled" leads me to believe that perhaps the whole 'Voldemort in Harry's head' was a possibility, but you know I like that perhaps maybe on an even darker level that it was Harry himself.

Maybe it's my dislike for Ginny popping up here, but I could understand how a young famous wizard may not enjoy being saddled with a difficult/mentally disturbed wife and decided to push her the rest of the way into madness. The little speech about being Voldemort might simply have been the final push, because who else would terrify Ginny more. Let's face it, Ginny had a point, he couldn't simply leave her. He's boxed in first by having to live up to the 'hero' image and his best friend is her brother. Maybe he devised a little plan to get rid of her and still maintain the status quo, in fact have people like him more. Not only did he stick by her but he did all in his power to save her.

Kind of brilliant when you think of it like that, almost like that better. I'm probably putting too much thought in it, Voldemort possessing Harry likely was the writer's intention. (cliche there) Harry's ambition at being the Minister of Magic seems a bit more Voldemort than Potter. But I can't help but enjoy seeing Harry himself as the manipulator. And, honestly, can't really picture old Tom Riddle lusting after Ginny. Really?

Still good read, well written, certainly just a one time read, but good.

12. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Most HP stories aiming at horror go the crucio crucio crucio route, with possibly a rape or two if they're feeling 'edgy'. A decent shot at psychological horror is to be treasured. Especially with such delicious ambiguity, as highlighted by della_couer.

13. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

As della_couer said- and as I and many others were probably thinking- the 'And he smiled' leaves Harry himself open to debate. Was it Riddle? Was it Harry simply trying to free himself from a burden? Was it simply Ginny's mind playing tricks on her? Was it a skewed Harry- mind torn by what he's seen- that did it for the kicks?

Maybe the possessed!Harry was what the author was going for, but I don't remember actually reading that.

Oh, and 5/5. Real horror is a rare genre in the fanfiction world.

14. johnthegreen

johnthegreen Backtraced

Gaslight by BellonaBellatrix

This story made me laugh in fear. Scared the shit outta me. Excellently done, utilizing a flummoxed Ginny to adequately represent her deteriorating mental state. I especially enjoyed watching her doubt the world around her, finding the truth, but ultimately losing to her own devices. 5/5

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  15. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I don't think it was, Syao. I think it was Ginny's delusions.

What a right creepy story. Good find.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Either that or it really was Tom possessing Harry. You cant really tell cause even though its written from a third person, it doesnt give insight to what other people think. Only Ginny. So in reality its more a first person perspective using third person terms.

So it gives it an even more creepy vibe. What is up, down, left, right, real, imaginary, right, or wrong when you, yourself, dont know it.

Gaslighting. Nasty. Oh I dont need glasses, now I do, now I dont, I do, I dont, I do, I dont, do, dont, do, dont. BLARGH!

5/5 from me. Best horror I've read in a while.

17. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

One of very few fics deserving the title of Horror. You can compare other horror fics to this as you would compare 'Silent Hill' the movie against Saw.

One has a shit loads of ugly shit and scary monsters which illustrate modern day darkness. Whereas on the other hand you have Saw, which leaves the audience stunned and shocked by the sheer audacity of the ending, in a era of 'Happy endings'.

TLDR: Leaves the ending to the audience's imagination. The best way to elicitate horror.

18. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Very well done. I don't know whether I like having all the open questions or not; however it was definitley a great one-shot. 5/5

19. Chaos Demon

Chaos Demon Squib

Somewhere that I hope you aren't. Disposing of the
    A horrible yet confounding masterpiece. Frankly I can't decide wether or not it was Tom or Harry because they both have valid reasons to destroy Ginny as well as the strength to pull it off. Tom because she's someone that escaped the first time around. Harry to escape the golden boy image.

The uncertainty of the ending frankly both puzzle and fill me with joy. On one hand Ginny the princess of mediocre hood is given some form of punishment in her complete descent into insanity. Yet we have no definite impression if wether Tom possessing Harry did it or Harry. The last in itself only manages to further entice the reader.

4.5/5.[SIZE=+0]
    [/SIZE]

20. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I agree with Elvin, by leaving so many questions unanswered he leaves the reader feeling slightly dissatisfied. The line between great horror and good horror is the ability to seemingly have answered all the questions and then for all those answers to be wrong and to leave one question in the mind of the spectator, not how, but rather what will he now do?

The insanity was well portrayed, but the questions were too open ended, not answered sufficiently and the ending too abrupt. The author tried to imitate those horror films where there is a brief final scene which lets the viewers know that the bad guy isn't dead. I'd recommend reading some good horror fiction, because what works very well in films doesn't necessarily work so well in fanfics.

3/5