1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Will of Fire, Heart of Stone by DisobedienceWriter - K - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Poytin, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Title: Will of Fire, Heart of Stone
    Author: DisobedienceWriter
    Rating: K
    Pairing: N/A
    Genre: Drama/Adventure
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 72,148
    Updated: Aug 15, 2012
    Published: Jul 4, 2008

Summary:The Hokage faces a terrible potential crisis when the Village Council spreads news of the young jinchuuriki, Naruto. The world changes when a more attentive, forceful Sandaime rears his head and takes back full control of his village. Sarutobi-centric.
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4370189/1/Will_of_Fire_Heart_of_Stone

Great story. Shows how the Sandaime SHOULD have handled things after he became Hokage again.

Checked by Minion, February 11, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  2. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Not really. They may as well just put Danzou in charge if Sarutobi is going to act like this.

What...

I think this is the first story that's actually made me dislike the Sandaime. Good going.

3. Poytin

Danzou would make everyone an emotionless tool and attack the other villages. In this the Sandaime acts like a military leader should. In your quote the Uchiha launched an attack with the intention to kill straight at the Hokage. Thus treason=death.

4. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Blah... Sarutobi acts nothing like Danzou here. He is still a fair leader and cares about his subjects. None of them are emotionless tools or anything. He just makes everything more fair and removes the traitors that have festered in Konoha during his weakness. Nice short story with an interesting idea, but the execution could have been pulled off a little better. I think Naruto might be a little too super, but in general, not bad. I'll give it a 4/5 for now.

5. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Killing someone purely with killing intent is fine then? 'K

6. Poytin

People have been known to get heart attacks/strokes right after being scared. Usually they have health problems anyway but you get the picture. Shouldn't have been a burst blood vessel but something else but I'm not holding that against the author.

7. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Yeah.

This is utterly retarded, and reeks of instant failure.

The only times we've seen killing intent actually accomplish anything aside from draw some comments from spectators (i.e. Pain) was when Zabuza and Orochimaru used it against brand new genin.

The fact that Sarutobi kills someone - someone who I assume to be a clan head and therefore an accomplished and powerful jounin - is absolutely crackers.

That's an instant 'X' if I read something like that.

I mean shit, Orochimaru hardly blinked when Naruto went KN3 in his face.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Orochimaru pretty much halted Kakashi right in his tracks with it, if I recall, during the confrontation after the Third Exam preliminaries. Unless something else caused him to freeze up in terror right as he was in the middle of charging Raikiri to defend Sasuke.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  9. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

The guy is a freaking psychopath, not the best example.

And as I believe that the "council", which seems to be almost entirely fanon at times, is described in this story as being composed as "elders" (not clan heads) and so would probably tend to be a bit more susceptible to heart attacks or such than say:

10. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Alright.

You make good points, but it still seems strange to me that a man who presumably grew up in a ninja village and had a long ninja career couldn't withstand a little - or even a lot of - killing intent.

I mean if being old and having a weak heart makes you susceptible to simple stuff like that, then it would be pretty dangerous having a sixty-nine year old as your Hokage - no matter how strong he was or even is.

11. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Actually, the Uchiha in question (in the fic) is referred to as the "Uchiha clan head" or "Head of the Uchiha clan" several times in the first chapter.

In fact just before Sarutobi kills him in the fic...
    So yeah.. at this point in time the Uchiha clan head is Fugaku (also named in the fic), who is a Jounin, and the head of the Konoha Police force. For a man who was planning to assassinate the Hokage, and turn Konoha into the Uchiha-Village he died surprisingly easily.

Just thought i'd put that out there :p

And yeah, I found that part of the fic hard to swallow myself.
    I mean even when Sasuke was subjected to the full force of Orochimaru's killing intent (Zabuza's too now that i think about it), he didnt drop over and die.

Ignoring that, the story is pretty average so far and looks to be going nowhere fast. I can see this becoming yet another of DisobedienceWriters never to be finished fics.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Which is an excellent point, as was proved when Orochi came around in the manga. I do agree with you that it was a contrived plot device, killing someone by looking at them, but I was just arguing that it was technically possible, with the dumb way that "Killer intent" seems to work.

(Really, I hate it.)

And uriel got me with the "clan head" thing. I just assumed that Fugaku was clan leader, and I admit I didn't really read too far into this story.

13. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I was under the impression that this fic was 2 shot showing how different Konoha would have been if the cliche council was to have been put in it's place by a more firm Sandaime. It was mildly entertaining that way. But now that there is a chapter 3 I just can't get myself to get into the fic.

1/5

14. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Actually it looks like Fugaku was not the clan head -
    because later on the fic talks about Itachi burying his father (Fugaku, in canon), mother (Mikoto) and brother (Sasuke) after they were offed by Orochimaru.
    Still, the technical errors are too many for this to be a good read. 2/5

15. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

So yeah he was the clan head. Maybe Itachi buried the body after it was returned or something? Who knows.

Also this quote in the first chapter really takes the cake:
    When something like that is meant to be taken seriously, and the story itself isn't a crack-fic... you know you're in for something special.

But then most of disobediencewriters fics have super!main-character so shouldn't really be surprised.

16. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

It's been updated. I had some serious issues with this chapter. First of all the Sandiame seems ridiculously powerful in the exchange with the other Daimyos and Kages. I also disliked the portrayal of Jiraiya shown here. On the other hand, I liked that Naruto still has some weaknesses and potential for growth. Another thing that was a plus in my book was how the chapter ended with Naruto being basically given free reign to stop the chaos in Wave. This chapter was pretty mediocre in my opinion.