1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Art Of Healing by Jon377 - M - HP/GD

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Antivash, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: The Art Of Healing
    Author: Jon3776
    Rating: M [R]
    Genre: Drama/Romance
    Pairing: Harry/Gabrielle Delacour
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 25,903
    Updated: March 17, 2006
    Published: April 3, 2005

Summary: Harry Potter is a broken man after then end of Second Wizarding War when he accepts a teaching position in France. Can the love and faith of a student save a wizard who believes himself beyond hope? Post Hogwarts.
    Link: The Art Of Healing

Found this while running through my favorites list earlier.... I liked it... so I decided to share it!

Checked by Minion, Nov. 18, 2012
    Checked By Sorrows: 03/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

vash what server in Unreal do you play on?

I'm rocking in ToT's server, decent group of ppl. Wish they used voice chat more thou =/

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It's a good fic, but I wish the author would update more often.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

YAY!

More Harry with nearly impossible girls. I love it! Woo!

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

just picked it up actually... havent multi-playered yet... though im up for suggestions on servers

dun voicechat myself... no mic anymore... gotta get a new one

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Pretty damned good group on ToT's.

No spawnkilling, fair teams, and the admins are great. its 8v8.

Thier are some great 32v32 servers out there, but anything higher then 16v16 on the small maps Unreal has is overkill, you wind up getting killed way too much.

Server name: TheOnslaughtTitans~Clan@Triponthis.net
    IP: 66.55.148.98:7777

7. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

He finally updated and the new chapter is pretty good, for a romance fic. if he would only update quicker..

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, I was surprised that he updated. Still have to read it yet, I couldnt be fucked last night.

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Just felt like quoting that.

And I did read this update. Hope it's not 11 months again before we get another update (and potentially the final chapter if you trust his marking this chapter 3/4)

I think jon3776/phoenixgod2000 has moved up into a category that used to be just jeconais' territory. The authors who can write romance and hold my interest. This is just solid, excellent writing. It takes a helluva to get me to read romance, even more to get me to like it, and I really enjoyed this update. Something unspectacular about it, but a refreshing change from all the crap out there.

Perhaps not the update schedule we may hope for, but nearly everything he puts out is quality.

10. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Litany of Blood has turned crap anyway. Started well but lost its way somewhere along the line...

Anyway, it was a good chapter. I look forward to more... if it doesnt take, like nonjon said, 11 months for the next chapter.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked the story, it's an unusual pairing, and jon made it work out well between them. I like how he portrayed the post war Harry, seems very realistic to me.

13. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

It was portrayed very well in my opinon as well. I never could understand how some authors can make Harry into this ultimate godlike man and then keep him in his wussy canon appearance (skinny and frail with dorky glasses...). It's totally unbelievable. I agree, Jon did an excellent job of making this Harry realistic.

14. cu_cullen9

cu_cullen9 Second Year

This could be an interesting read if it wast updated once every 4 months. but i guess after looking over the authors postings that does seem to be his standard.

15. vateruncer

vateruncer Muggle

This is a good fic but as was stated by LT2000 but thats getting off track. I have to agree with Dark Syaoran that Litany of Blood has turned crappy.

16. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I want to read this story again, I stopped a few months ago...

But first, two questions on which my decision will hinge:

1) Is it still incredibly similar to Hope by jeconais?

2) Is it still painfully angsty?

I'd really rather not read a carbon-copy of Jeconais' fic :/

17. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Disclaimer: I'm not Jon3776, but I beta for him.

To answer your questions: Art of Healing was published before Hope, by quite a bit (for whatever that's worth).

As far as similarities between the two, in both stories Harry becomes a teacher at Beauxbatons while Gabrielle is a student, and they begin a relationship -- that's about all they have in common.

In Hope, Harry is a Quidditch star cum flight instructor with super powers who saves the day and gets the girl. In Healing, Harry is a war hero cum alcoholic cum DADA instructor who carries a lot of guilt from the deaths of all of his friends. Pre-Gabrielle, he's actually a bit of a downer...

As far as angst goes, I suppose it's fairly angsty (although all of the really bad shit is viewed through flashbacks). Harry starts out essentially broken, and the primary point of the story is the way he overcomes and deals with his past, and how Gabrielle helps him heal (the title should be a dead giveaway).

This story isn't abandoned, but may not be updated for a while. In talking with Jon, it seems that he has difficulty getting into the proper state of mind to write Harry this way.

-Sean

18. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I can't honestly see why you people praise this fic so, I can't see any difference with the fic types you abhor.

Firstly, there's this epic theme, when mere teenagers play a great role in the war:
    Hermione dueling Voldemort? Charlie the Dragon animagus? The Battle of Hogwarts? Seer!Luna... High elves, anyone?
    Common, people, if you want to create war-weary Harry then do, but why _High elves_, what were they for anyway?

And secondly, but the most important: this here Gabrielle. You only need to change her name to 'Hermione,' to see how much Harry is bitched around by her.

She, like how Hermione would have done, snatches from him his Firewhisky and proceeds to dispose of it, while Harry just looks, and does nothing. I would think he would have been more angry than that.

Then she badgers him constantly.

She, against his very clearly stated wishes, does her freaky-Veela thing with him, and he just proceeds to tell her the story of his life (to the teenager he barely knows!), when he never tells his problems (in canon) to anyone.
    I would think he would have been more resistant to such an invasion to his privacy, what with all his honourables, torture-endurance, and Dragon-animagi--High-elves' world he lives in.
    And he was nor resigned, nor angry at her in the end. He actually cried like a girl, so much for a great hero!

Of course, it is clear that he's willing for somebody to help him from his binge drinking (that's the term, I'm not sure?), and he's rather affectionate towards Gabrielle -- But! -- but nowhere in the fic there was a sign that he was willing to accept help, nor there was a sign that he held any warm feelings for Gabrielle (besides when he helped her out at the Burrow, but then it was explicitly stated that he helps everyone he could help and likes to teach).

So, what I see in that fic: Harry-the-nancy-boy and bossy Gabrielle with personality of Hermione. Make Harry drinking firewhiskey and what you have is just another emo-goth fic type in disguise.
    There was a fiction, :searches: 'Crack' by solaris, about drug addiction, which was pretty realistical, and didn't have a happy ending like this one.

Now, I did not want to offend the author, the fic is of more then average quality -- I'm just surprised of all the praises it got, especially with people's attitude on this forum.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

They arn't praising the story highly, They each liked an aspect of the story, they didn't say they liked the story over all. I myself, if I remember the story correctly, only liked a few select bit's and pieces of the story, not to say it wasn't good quality, but yeah.

20. phoenixgod2000

phoenixgod2000 Squib

I don't normally respond to feedback because of the volume I get but I had to respond to this one because of some of the things you said.

>Firstly, there's this epic theme, when mere teenagers play a great role in the war:
    Hermione dueling Voldemort? Charlie the Dragon animagus? The Battle of Hogwarts? Seer!Luna...High elves, anyone?
    Common, people, if you want to create war-weary Harry then do, but why >_High elves_, what were they for anyway?

This is a fan fic based on a kids story. of course the kids are going to be part of the epic battle against Voldemort. As for the half night elves and other assorted color in the story it is exactly that. Background color I use to try and make the Wizarding World a living breathing place. No different than the magical resturant I had him eat or anything else. As for the Night Elf, well, if there are *house* elves, then there are probably other types of elves as well othewise they would just be elves.

>And secondly, but the most important: this here Gabrielle. You only need to change her name to 'Hermione,' to see how much Harry is bitched around by >her.

Since I hate that type of Hermione I take great exception to this. Gabrielle is perhaps more mature than her age should indicate but even that can be explained away through the flightiness of her mother, which I do mention. It isn't beyond the realm of possibilty that a child of irresponsible parents become hyper-responsible. I've seen it before. More importantly she does demonstrate that she isn't perfect, that she is capable of human weakness and frailty. Her guilt over Luna is a good example of that.

>se, like how Hermione would have done, snatches from him his Firewhisky and proceeds to dispose of it, while Harry just looks, and does nothing. I >ould think he would have been more angry than that.

I would like to think that anyone seeing the state Harry was in would have gotten rid of his stash. Its what any decent friend would do--including Hermione. And he did get Angry, to the point where he nearly strikes her and holds himself back because he can't bring himself hit Gabrielle.

>he, against his very clearly stated wishes, does her freaky-Veela thing with him, and he just proceeds to tell her the story of his life (to the teenager he barely knows!), when he never tells his problems (in canon) to anyone.

Which was part of his problem. in the fic he told his problems to Luna and only her. When she died, he not only lost his lover, but his most personal confidant. He needed to open up, to talk to someone. Any therapist can tell you that talking about your problems is the first step to dealing with them. It would be a short damn fic if Harry just stayed bottled up inside. Gabrielle used her powers to force the issue, the same way interventions can force the issue with drug addicts. It might not have been nice but it was needed.

> would think he would have been more resistant to such an invasion to his privacy, what with all his honourables, torture-endurance, and Dragon-animagi--High-elves' world he lives in.

He was also an alcoholic who hadn't been keeping up his shields. his formidable will had frayed with all the stress on his mind. and perhaps subconciously he did want to talk to someone. Two things I mention within the fic itself.

>nd he was nor resigned, nor angry at her in the end. He actually cried like a girl, so much for a great hero!

This I did find offensive. I don't know how old you are but that is an incrediblely juvenile way to look at men and emotions. I have had friends I have known for years weep in my arms because of the things they had to do during war. Men who wished they had died along side their battle mates. Friends who have tried and succeeded to commit suicide because of what they saw on the battlefield. How should I have written Harry? Some happy warrior who shrugged his shoulders whenever he Ak'ed someone? Someone for whom killing death eaters is like the squashing of bugs?

My father is a 60 year old Vietnam Veteran. Thirty odd years later he still can barely speak of the things he did to his enemies. Killing, even people trying to kill you is never easy, should never be easy. I am never going to write a Harry who can kill without remorse, even his enemies. That isn't the way it works in real life and its not the way it works in my fic. Blood on your hands is blood on your hands. Its an insult to every american soldier, american hero I have ever seen cry or struggle to live with the aftermath of war.

>f course, it is clear that he's willing for somebody to help him from his binge drinking (that's the term, I'm not sure?),

More of a flat out alcholic. In the third chapter, when he was talking with Ron, Ron was drinking a butterbeer and Harry was drinking a cherry fiz. My way of showing that he had given up stronger stuff.

>nd he's rather affectionate towards Gabrielle -- But! -- but nowhere in the fic there was a sign that he was willing to accept help, nor there was a sign that he held any warm feelings for Gabrielle (besides when he helped her out at the Burrow, but then it was explicitly stated that he helps everyone he could help and likes to teach).

He also helps her when her sister was kidnapped and Gabrielle was feeling guilty because she didn't help. <Shrug> I dunno. Most other people do seem to get the chemistry between them so I don't know whatelse to say.

>o, what I see in that fic: Harry-the-nancy-boy and bossy Gabrielle with personality of Hermione. Make Harry drinking firewhiskey and what you have is just another emo-goth fic type in disguise.

I have no idea what an emo is, but if its someone who, you know, experiences and actually feeling and isn't a cardboard hero, then yes he is.

Joss Whedon, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, used to say that Buffy could overcome any external foe, so the most effective stories and villians were ones that attacked her emotions. I am attempting to do the same thing in this fic. Harry is a nearly invincible wizard and but his heart and soul are still all too vulnerable.

>here was a fiction, :searches: 'Crack' by solaris, about drug addiction, which >as pretty realistical, and didn't have a happy ending like this one.

Ending isn't done. In fact the last chapter ended with her being kidnapped by the woman who killed Luna. That is hardly happy.

Of course the ending is probably going to be happy because I do like them :)

Now, I did not want to offend the author, the fic is of more then average quality --

Thanks ;)

>'m just surprised of all the praises it got, especially with people's attitude on this forum.

I'm more surprised that I didn't get more Ron hate considering that I wrote him as essentially more emotionally healthy than Harry and so many people can't stand Ron being better than Harry at anything.

Jon