1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Forging the Sword by Myst Shadow - PG13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by DreamRed, Jun 3, 2007.

1. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Title: Forging the Sword
    Author: Myst Shadow
    Rating: T/PG-13
    Genre: General/Drama
    DLP Category: Independent
    Pairing: none
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 109,756
    Updated: July 26, 2013
    Published: May 26, 2007

Summary: Year 2 Divergence. What does it take, to reshape a child? And if reshaped, what then is made? (Gryffindor, they said, was the house of the brave. Harry’s Gryffindor traits were always so much scarier than other people’s.)
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3557725/1/

I found this a days or so ago, and post it mainly because of the unique take on Gryffindor. It's got a pretty typical start from the end of CoS, but that's tempered by the solid characterisation of Harry and believable death of Ginny. The Weasleys don't hysterically denounce him for failing to save their daughter either (although we've yet to see where it goes from here, being only 2 chapters so far). Also, unlike your standard independent!Harry fic the focus isn't on him discovering his 'Slytherin side' but developing the more ruthless aspects of his Gryffindor one. It's early days still, but it looks like it has the potential to become rather good.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. odonata617

odonata617 Guest

just took a look. intriguing but still a long way to go. liked the bit with the older malfoy and the use of gryffindor's sword to pin malfoy's cloak and that the cloak subsequently became the instrument of dobby's liberation. but more interesting by far was the discussion the willingness to sacrifice by each of the houses. welcome to Realpolitik!harry! if it proceeds, this could be one heckuva ride.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Even if its early it is still rather good. Its a new take of Gryffindor or atleast its new to me. The part with Dumbledore threatening Malfoy I liked as well.

for now it gets 3.7/5 but its to early for final judgement

4. Myst

Myst Headmaster

This story has potential. Honestly its too early to rate it, as it could go either way but I'd give what he or she has a 4/5.

-Myst

Plus its interesting that the author got the idea from browsing our forums.

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

this is the first new ff i've read in monthes and it's pretty good, if not a little short. i like the comparision between gryffindor and slytherin, and i especially like the explanation the author gives for writing the story. but until it gets longer i'll give it a 3.5/5 with lots of potential.

6. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

The writing is some of the best I've seen for weeks. The symbolism of Gryffindor's characteristics is great. Dumbledore's character is written very well. This is a story that has definitely caught my eye for the time being.

The author tends to spend a bit too much time on Harry's thoughts, although that's more of a personal complaint. And he writes so well that the bad effect is negated.

The main weakness I forsee is that the author may have his story be a simple repeat of canon with a more powerful Harry. He doesn't seem to have much of a plot. But even with this weakness, it'd be well worth it to read the story.

It's still too early to give a rating, however.

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not enough to give a rating yet, but a good start, I think. Chapters are on the short side, but its decent enough.

8. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

A good start, but I agree with Vash... it's too early to say whether or not the author has a plot worthy of the buildup.

That said, the story has real promise. If the author can deliver on that promise it'll be a definite quality work.

9. Kate

Kate Elite Member DLP Supporter

I liked it, and I'm hoping that Myst Shadow is going to keep up the good work.
    It was nice seeing a new side of Gryffindor, a side that makes Harry tough.
    All to often you see a Slythindor!Harry, where the author give Harry darker qualities that are truly Gryffindor, but is blamed on his Slytherin side.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I admit to being wary, considering the author's most popular other fic appears to be about Draco, a captured Harry, and the slashy love that develops between them (based off the summary, I was too scared to actually read it). And so far, the differences from canon are only slight. A less creative author might turn this into simply another canon retelling with a stronger more independent Harry. And I'm wary to even make any opinions with so little to judge on here.

But despite my reservations, it is very well written. And the few deviations from the ending of CoS so far in this are well chosen and executed. I'm really looking forward to seeing an interesting take on Gryffindor characteristics and behaviors rather than just making Harry act 'more like a Slytherin.'

I suppose I'd apprehensively rate this a 4/5 based on only the two brief chapters posted so far.

11. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Indeed it is refreshing to see a tough Gryffindor Harry, or rather to see his characteristics make him that.
    The story has a lot of potential, let's hope that it won't become another cannon following one but something more original.

From what I've read so far 4/5

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A pretty good yarn, but it had a few elements I didn't quite care for - the accidental sword stabbing magic seemed a bit silly, and the quick explanation of how suddenly the cloak was filthy seemed a bit sudden. I admit, like nonjon I was similarly worried about the author's apparent penchant for slash - so I will keep my big red REJECTED FOR SLASH REASONS stamp ready, just in case.

3/5

-J

13. ValdTheSpanker

ValdTheSpanker Squib

Looks like I get to bust my thread-cherry on this one folks.

Pretty damn good so far; at least for a 5,500 word fic as of right now. It's sad how the Slytherin/Gryffindor mindset is diametrically opposed in almost every story I've ever read. It seems that people think that somehow if a person is brave or has some other Gryffindor trait then they also happen to be a complete idiot. Maybe it's just me, but that's how it seems. It's nice to see something to the contrary.

Looking forward to the progression of this fic.

14. Kate

Chapter 3 is out. I haven't read it yet, but thought I should inform the forum.

EDIT: Read the chapter, and I must say this author has some good ideas.
    This chapter is one of those transition chapters, where Harry is pushed down the right path. The sorting hat is used, but it doesn't seem like it's going to become a major "character", it simply guides him. And Harry doesn't suddenly get a whole bunch of powers or knowledge, on the contrary, he finds out exactly how much he will have to work.
    If the author keeps up this kind of work, this fic could become one of my all-time favorites.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  15. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

Wow thanks for posting that update Kate, it got me to read the story. This looks really good so far. Still too short but it has a lot of promise.

16. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Looks good but the author is a slash author so this could take a turn for the worst very quickly.

17. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I gotta agree with Darius but if it continues like it is is will be above average.
    Slash would ruin it. Thank god the red headed slut is dead Ding Dong Ding the Bitch is dead.

18. Kate

About the slash, the author says that he started the story after browsing through Dark Lord Potter, where he agreed to what was wrong with book 6, so we'll just have to hope that he/she keeps to that, and don't make it into the big slash fest.

19. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Here it is from author.

20. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

i like the story a lot. the author won't rush at making harry powerful, which is really good. the writing is good with a few grammar mistakes. the story won't be slash which is also good for my tastes. all in all it is a very promising fic. 4/5.