1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Guerilla Potter by DisobedienceWriter - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Manatheron, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Title: Guerilla Potter
    Author: DisobedienceWriter
    Rating: M
    Genre: AU /Dark
    DLP Category: Dark Arts or Independent
    Pairing: None
    Words: 16,101
    Published: Dec 6, 2007

Summary:
    A smarter Voldemort launches his conquest of Britain immediately after his resurrection. Smarter Harry, Sirius, and co. are the only ones who can stop him. Unconventional tactics. Begins after Harry’s 4th year at Hogwarts.

Link: Guerilla Potter

Notes: I know that some of this writer's earlier stuff wasn't fit for the library, but this one is shockingly well written. I'd go so far as to call it a damn fine read.

4/5

Checked by Minion, Januar 04, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  2. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Eh... I've read this before. Think I got the link from DLP, but I could be wrong. Anyways... I liked it... Pretty well written, and I liked Harry a lot. 4/5

3. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

...Meh. The writing is just to rushed. The author speaks through his characters much to often, instead of manipulating their characterization, he just writes their dialogue as if he himself is speaking.

This results in a lot of Voldemort calling himself stupid or berating himself, or giving very direct, very simple orders. I mean, yeah he's smarter than the dumb fuck who takes up the pages of Rowling's later tripe, but he's still a simplistic moron.

And Harry's "tactics" are more like obvious traps that would be transparent to any Private with basic training.

Meh... 3/5 as it's not horrible, it's just... meh

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

The whole point of this story seems to be to make use of that obvious tactic that could have made DH in a great book had JKR had the guts to include it - you know, say 'Voldemort' and blast at whoever comes.

It starts well, with Voldemort truly being smarter than usual and Harry & co doing their ambush thing. But it simply fails to keep up. Voldemort slowly reverts to his usual screaming irrational self and the gang never quite figures out some other tactic or expand their operation. Then there's a standard easy finale and, as an extra bonus, a bit of completely unnecessary Dumbledore bashing in the end.

Not bad, but like with most of DW's stories, a self-righteous attitude kind of gets in the way.

5. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

this story starts out quite well, with the ambush tactic (something i've seen discussed on quite a few groups/boards after DH) showing the start of what might be a truly interesting guerilla. But it doesn't grow from there, instead it slowly reverts to mediocre.
    So, as usual for him not quite good enough for the library in my opinion, but a solid 3/5

6. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

This basically destroys every decent story he writes. His fics come off like he is saying, in the fic, "I am smarter than JK Rowling". He then proceeds to fail horribly by removing most if not all of the conflict in the story.

They're fun reads but they don't live up to their own boasting.

7. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

An intelligent, ruthless Potter. I like it - the way the guerillas' attitudes change as they grow more ruthless over time is quite well portrayed. They planned ahead, and they got better at it as time went on. They planned for afterwards, as well. The downbeat ending worked perfectly with the overall mood of the story.
    4.5/5

8. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  9. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

{Shrugs}

I thought I'd seen it before, I can't help but wonder why it didn't come up when I ran the author name though the search engine though.

10. sequitur253

sequitur253 Muggle

Some of the ideas in this story are similar to what I hoped Order of the Phoenix would be like. A smart Voldemort restarting his reign of terror immediately rather than waiting a few years before doing anything. A driven Harry who isn't ready to just sit by while people are killed. And a group of people ready to do anything necessary to stop Voldemort. Of course this story doesn't quite pull it off. Voldemort's character doesn't come off as all that smart. Harry is driven to do something but seeing as this is a story about magic, I would have liked to see Harry actually able to do magic. And then there is a group trying to stop Voldemort but like others pointed out their tactics weren't as brilliant as the author made it out to be.

I would have loved it if JKR had immediately started ootp with battle and war and what not, but I also realize that because her story was geared towards a young audience rather than adults it wouldn't have been appropriate to have the last three books filled with a lot of death and constant battle. So instead JKR gave us two books of filler and a watered down version of a nation at 'war'.

3.5/5

11. L.Kezza

L.Kezza Backtraced

It is in the recycling

It's in the Recycling bin perhaps that's why you couldn't find it.

12. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

That was my first hint to stop reading. LV sounds like a teacher telling his second years they should ask him when their homework is too difficult.

That was my second hint. Seriously, Voldemort talking about his own stupidity in front of his Death Eaters?

It didn't get better.
    It was rushed and the characters were somehow off. Not overly OOC but somewhat unrealistic. Especially the dialogues didn't sound like they could have happened if you know what I mean.

There were some nice ideas but the writing style and the characterization kept me from enjoying them.

2,5/5

13. Pug

Pug First Year DLP Supporter

I enjoyed this fic; a clever, merciless and cold-blooded Harry doing what is required to win. Harry cannot hope to win (using Dumbledore’s battle plan [lol]) against Lord Voldemort who has some fifty plus years of knowledge and combat under his wings. You cannot show mercy to your enemies especially when dealing with Voldemort and his death munchers. To add icing to the cake Dumbledore and the other traitors got what was coming to them at the end.
    4/5

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I liked it. It was pretty well done. 4/5

15. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

I guess I can't stand any story in which the villains fail at all points repeatedly. Voldemort is so stupid that he cannot adapt after the first ten attacks? Sorry, but it does not harmonise with the wannabe world conqueror's image.

2/5.

16. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

According to the story his minions only told him after 84 had gone missing.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Didn't like it. Harry's too smart, too quickly. Someone above me (ip?) said it already: self-righteous tone detracts from the story. The only plot device I liked was using the Taboo as part of a trap, which I was gonna use in my own short story. So much for originality *sigh*.

2/5, because of the implied "What Rowling SHOULD have done" after the title

Edit: Everything the Sour Kraut said = truth.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  18. Guest_

Guest_ Third Year

It's already in the Recycle Bin and that's what it deserves, nothing more nothing less.

It's well written and funny but it tends to go to extremes, and that killed it for me in the end. 3/5.

[​IMG]

19. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I found that I could not get into this story, (i tried twice), but I did enjoy most of his "Common Sense" stories. One nice thing about the common sense stories is the range of writing styles.

Your mileage may vary.

20. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Its OK as a story goes. Nothing spectacular. I enjoyed his other works more.

3/5