1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Surreal Tale by E. M. Pink - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ghst.san, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

Title: A Surreal Tale
    Author: E. M. Pink
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Mystery
    Summary:AU. Slytherin!Harry challenge. What happens to the Wizarding World when Bellatrix and others discover the news of her inability to bear magical children? An enraged Dark Lord falls, and a small boy becomes missing: Harry. WIP
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2590595/1/

A nice fic where Harry is raised by Bellatrix. Its very refreshing cause it is cliche free and I also like it cause Harry still acts like a 11 year old and not like some total badass or angsty little bay.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, I've been following this since the start. I like how Harry talks and acts most of the time. Calling Blaise Zabini Dark Boy and calling Tracy Davis Bushy Eye-brows, lol.

I wish he was a little less wimpy but at least he isnt too bad. He'll probably grow to be a badass.

3. Quack

Quack Second Year

I've been following this for a while, though the Bellatrix/Snape scares me... I'll accept it. Anything with Belle and Harry is good. xD

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Theres another fic that doing a similar take innit? Can't find the link atm, but I'm sure there's another fic worth reading as well where Bella is raising him.

5. True Story

True Story Third Year

....I really am not sure what to think of this....

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked it, it was very interesting. But the author left so much out in terms of how Harry ended up in the orphanage and how his parents were killed. And wth happened to Sirius? If Harry isn't the BWL, then Dumbledore wouldn't have put him with the Dursley's, he would have let Sirius take him, because Sirius would be out of Azkaban, since he was never the Secret Keeper.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

He only called him Dark Boy because he didnt know his name. They met in Knockturn Alley. He isnt going out of his way to be a racist.

Hell, I'm dark and that doesnt bother me, lol.

8. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

Hi! Sudden Author Appearance here, and so on. Just wanted to take the time to say that

a) I'm black. I can not possibly be racist towards myself, and am not racist towards anyone else.
    b) It's supposed to be funny.
    c) It's supposed to signify how different things are in Harry/Antares' head - which is a lot. Do you think Canon!Harry would say something like that? Hell no - he's been raised not to say racist stuff about black people. But my Harry's been raised in the Wizarding World, in which the colour of your skin means diddly squat. It's a sign that he truly identifies with wizarding principles and the wizarding way of life and thought, even if he knows to some extent how muggles operate, from occasionally having to scrounge off them.
    d) A lot of the stuff Antares says in my story has a particular reasoning behind it. If it doesn't it's either just a whim on my part or probably has no right to be there. Or something.

'Kay, next thing:
    Sorry if this comes off as a wee bit annoyed, but I'm the author. I'm supposed to leave stuff out. You're not supposed to know how everything happened for a good while, just like Harry didn't and still doesn't entirely know, in the books. Please trust in the fact that

a) I WILL tell you, seriously. Just not immediately, is all.
    b) Voldemort didn't - er, I dunno, rape all the potters and disappear in a puff of smoke. I assure you that my backstory is very much present, and well thought out, too. And, as I've already said, will be making an appearance.
    c) May I refer you to a sort-of answery post about AST? It's here on my Livejournal. Hope that sort of explains your question...

I've heard people express their dislike for stories that reveal everything too soon, and leave no plot to keep you going or following the story as it goes along, and all that. I'm not necessarily trying to do the opposite or anything, although I subscribe to that particular dislike, but telling you all the details now is a very easy way for me to take lots of the fun and intrigue out of my story. This doesn't mean that I don't have a plot besides "oh, Antares is Harry, yay!", just that that fact works closely with the plot.

And if you really have a SERIOUS BURNING QUESTION, do ask me or leave a note in my LJ or on this thread. I answer almost every one of my reviews, and always try to answer my questions, so you'll be pretty likely to get an answer.

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I'm honestly in full agreement about the whole leaving stuff out thing. The story is no fun when the reader fully comprehends everything that's going on right when it happens. It's a good author's prerogative to set some things up without explaining them right off, so that when the payoff occurs, the reader is able to think back and understand how it all fits.

10. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

Thanks - I think fanfic readers have somehow gotten used to knowing all the facts behind something, and it just seems wierd to have to puzzle it all out and all that, which is rather troubling. The essence of writing, for me, dictates that the author has the power, and they usually USE it, and don't tell you certain things about the bloody plot, you know? *sighs*

11. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I agree with not telling the reader everything right from the word go. My own story is wrote very much on a need to know basis, in fact the majority of the plot hints in my story will stay unrecognised until the plot progresses further. I've said this before and I'll say it again... a good plot should lead the reader to the answers and not let them have them from the beginning, otherwise what is the point in reading it? You already know the answers.

I've been following this fic for awhile actually, and I like it. I'm hoping that Harry will grow up to be a badass wizard.

12. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

You know, funnily enough, I just got this review/pseudo flame from someone on FF.net (name witheld because I'm not quite that mean):

I'm just baffled, honestly - what is WRONG with people and suspense? When there's none, they complain. When there's some, they complain. Gah.

And then there's the misspellings from someone insulting my writing skills. This would actually be funny if it wasn't so stupid.

13. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think the niblet of truth in this is that reading a fic, until I have reason to, I never expect them to be a good author. Feels like most are making a lot of stuff up as they go. So it becomes necessary to inquire whether they're leaving it out because they forgot, or are leaving it out because it will come up later. Just another annoyance about the inherent flaws with reviewing/commenting on WIP fics. A lot of your questions will simply be answered by future chapters.

14. nonjon

We'll need to work on how mean you are it appears.

Especially when anyone can go to your story's reviews and see nonone gave that comment.

Stupid people giving the nons a bad name!

15. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

Edit of Shame: Er, I really need to read closer next time. I think I'll just leave the rant up (or down, as the case might be), and ask all the 'non-'s out there to forgive the slur. I shall not impinge upon your non honor again!!!1!

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think the guy clearly stated he wasn't the one who flamed you.

For those with cheaper tickets:

Your flamer's name: NONONE

Nonjon's name: NONJON

See that "J"? Well, that means he wasn't the one who flamed you.

17. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

Oh, shite. Shite - er sorry, nonjnn - thought you were nonone for a sec, there.

Could you tell?

18. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

Guess who feels like an overreactive eejit now.

19. nonjon

Hehe... no worries. And I'm sorry to say I haven't read your story and probably won't. I can be picky and anal and offer you nothing constructive if the direction of your fic is not one that coincides with what I want to read (just ask Lord Serapheth).

I'm in this for the fun and entertainment of it. Not to make other people better authors. I could be wrong, and maybe when I'm looking for something new to read, I'll give yours a try and you'll prove me wrong and I'll get around to writing you a rave review then.

But I think that nonone person may be a faker non even. Could be his/her name is "no-none" and not a real 'non'. Or they could be a non-one, in which case I'll rally up the non-mafia and beat them down.

Besides, when I'm really going to lay into a fic for pissing me off and sucking, I'll log out and hide who I am. But usually you have to have a fic I really liked and then take a turn to sucktown, before I'll care enough to do that. And I doubt just two chapters could get that far for me.

20. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

They sure sound like a faker non- to me...do rally the non-mafia and beat some 'sence' into them, if you will. And do try my stuff - one should always take a risk with a new fic now and then - I remember reading this really wierd Shakespeare-esque rendition of the story of the Potters' betrayal the Othello way, and being confused, intrigued and loving that Remus Lupin was essentially the villain anyway. I don't usually read Shakespeare adaptations of stuff, and usually raise a derisive eyebrow in the way of Villain!Remus, but that fic was good enough that I didn't care. I guess there are just some out there that are like that. Hopefully, mine may be one of those for you.