1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Apocalypses & The Ultimate Threat

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Hashasheen, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I've been thinking on this plot-point that get's used in fantasy & science-fiction games and some literature series. Take for example, the Reapers from Mass Effect.

Here we are with an incredibly interesting universe where humanity is making it's very first steps out into the stars, where it's meeting other life-forms, developing it's own advanced tech, there are all these different and varied cultures and worlds to interact with, like the Batarians in the Terminus Systems or Aria and Omega or Moridin and his people's faith. You've got characters like Wrex, Tali, and Miranda, each unique in their backstory, their people's sufferings and beliefs, etc...

And the primary plot of the story is to fight back against these millennia-old Artificial AI that apparently genocide synthetics and organics every "cycle" for some vague reasoning. I don't know, I never went past Mass Effect 1.

Same thing with say, Game of Thrones. Very interesting series starting out primarily with an incredible amount of political intrigue, military conflicts and characters growing and becoming great in this intricate web of lives, and it feels like it's all just build-up for this climactic war with Others or Melisandre's Fire God or whatever.

Starcraft (Dark Voice & Hybrid)? Star Wars (Jedi & Sith)? Assassin's Creed (the 2012 Juno threat)? Halo (Covenant, Flood, Didact, etc...)? World of Warcraft?

I don't know, I just feel like it's a hindrance or handicap to universes that could do so much more with their stories than fight an ultimate evil or whatever.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think that in a lot of cases it's because you only have so much time/space to tell the story.

Dresden Files I feel is sort of the opposite. Because it's a long, ongoing book series there is plenty of time to explore the world properly as well as have the "Apocalypse" plot. Just the "Ultimate Evil/Big Bad/Apocalypse/Whatever" takes 23+ books to set up while still having enough time to get into everything else.

Star Wars had three movies (six if you count the Prequels), and rather than make movies without a decisive/important plot they went for the "Ultimate Evil" bit. The world in general did explored a lot later though, in various games and novels.

I guess other things can apply to more or less the same extent, and I don't think I'm explaining this very well... but I guess I'm trying to say that when you are limited on how much media you are going to produce you have to pick and choose what to include, and that's usually going to be your "main plot" while all the worldbuilding stuff gets lopped off to make room.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With Mass Effect, I feel that the depth of the world you described is what makes the Reapers a good enemy -- the threat of all that work and the achievements every species has performed being wiped away raises the stakes quite a bit. These stories about impending apocalypses need this build-up to make you care and give the threat credibility.

Now, the problem in Mass Effect is the lack of an expanded universe, to show the things going on besides what Shepard sees directly. Instead we get the badly written and drawn trash Bioware has Dark Horse produce that means nothing and in a lot of cases worsens rather than improves the ME franchise.