1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Can we speed up new account approval? We might get refugees from Reddit soon

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by Harpo the Fool, Jun 11, 2023.

1. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fifth Year

Lots of people are leaving Reddit because of their API drama, and r/hpfanfiction is a busy group. Maybe DLP can get some new members. I defer to the judgment of longtime members here since I'm fairly new, but I think this place is pretty quiet and it would be good to have more people around.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I thought the Reddit thing was expected to be a temporary (couple days) protest. Making site-wide policy changes in response to a temporary thing seems a little premature. If the Reddit blackout lasts for a month or more (or if there becomes a big backlog of folks coming to DLP), maybe revisit?

I recall the hpfanfiction subreddit seemed most enthusiastic about trading recommendations for "Drarry" and "Dramione", neither of which seems particularly resonant with the tastes of DLP. (I could be misremembering though.)

3. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fifth Year

Preferences of the subreddit are about the same as here, more or less. They hate slash and Dramione isn't all that popular. I didn't realize that speeding up DLP account approval was a policy change--I thought it was just a matter of the DLP admins not being around much because the site is moribund. So I was hoping they could process requests a little more often, at least in the short run, or maybe delegate approvals to the mods.

I don't know how long the blackout will last but I think a lot of reddit users want to leave either way, plus reddit itself is going to get worse. They have apparently made some attempts to lock out mobile browsers, to make people install their app, which by all reports is awful. I've been a reddit regular for years (not all that much on the fanfiction subs) but I'm trying to break away. Reddit's situation is like when Musk took over twitter. It won't die completely, but a lot of ticked off users are going to quit or decrease their engagement.