1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Darkstar

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Dec 2, 2010.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

A little background information before I talk about the game. In the early-late '90s, there was a game genre known as the FMV, the Full Motion Video "game". These were almost exclusively PC games, and were pretty much shit. They were mostly point and click adventure games, with the story shown through actual video of actors playing their parts. In general, the games were almost all low budget, low star power, and because of the time, incredibly poor video quality.

There we some exceptions though (the most prominent being "Ripper"/"Phantasmagoria") that showed that the medium could be effective, given enough money & care put into it.

Around 1998, the genre pretty much died though, because by then the novelty of having movies on your computer had pretty much warn off, and the genre really wasn't cost effective for studios to make. For a much better (and much funnier) explanation/review of the FMV titles of the time, check out this guys site. Watch the Johny Mnemonic review for the quickest explanation.)

Anyway, Darkstar is pretty much the first big budget-star filled FMV title in probably fourteen years. It's all HD, and the few reviews that have been done for it have all pretty much proclaimed it to be excellent. Considering how story-driven it is, I thought DLP might enjoy it.