1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Hunt (Game mechanics feedback thread)

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Skeletaure, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I have written the rules for a 13-player Harry Potter themed Hunt game. As I have never hosted a mafia game before, I thought I would seek your opinions on it. In particular, if you can see any massive holes in the setup.

Google Doc is here.

The essential mechanics are based on Zeit's Avatar: TLA Hunt game. The main innovations are the special item wands, and that once in the game a single player can come back from Azkaban (i.e. from the dead). I've also brought back a couple of traditional abilities in the form of Snape's ability to see who visits a player each night, and Hermione/Voldemort's "save from lynch" abilities.

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure that this is broken as shit the way it is here. You have to put some sort of limiter on it. In the Avatar game the scum were publicly revealed whenever they did this and I still think that power got abused a lot. I'd much prefer if it was changed so that is could be used once total for the scum team, instead of once per player.

Fuck this shit in all of the many different ways.

I also don't really like the use of RNG.

3. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

The souping power is meant to stop a mass rolereveal, which would break the game. If it's only a one time thing, scum would either have to use on the last possible Day, when the game has really already been decided, or when a few roles are in the open, and take the risk that the rest of the town will massclaim and screw them over. I think a good alternative is to allow each scum player to have one soup, but to restrict it so that they cannot soup and nightkill during the same Night. That worked fairly well in Tinyhunt 3. I think as a community, we can be trained to keep our roles a little closer to our chests during these games.

---------- Post automerged at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

I agree that losing your vote is anti-fun. With the killing curse ability, the yew wand has a very good chance of falling into scum's hands by end game.

---------- Post automerged at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

You have two cop style roles. Moody is a full cop, and Snape is a watcher, which is generally considered to be a weaker cop variant.

4. Bill Door

It's meant to stop massclaims, it's not meant to stop anyone claiming ever. Making it one use will still punish and heavily discourage massclaims while punishing scum for using it speculatively. Maybe a single use that can be done during the daytime would be better.

The way you guys used it in the Avatar game was not punishing massclaims, I'm pretty sure no one claimed at all as a matter of fact. It was you guys using it on hunches pretty much every time you could, which I think is definitely abusing the ability.

Edit: I think having a cop and a watcher is fine. Watcher is closer to a rolecop than a regular cop and there are enough roles that visit people other than the scum kills that it's not useless.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  5. fontisian

I'm not fond of the pope or leeroy as roles either. If you're stuggling to find good roles to include, you might want to check this out: http://forum.chocolatepi.net/showthread.php?tid=325

---------- Post automerged at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

We abused it because we were allowed to make night kills and soups during the same night. If we didn't have that ability, we most likely would not have done that, and it would not have worked nearly as well.

6. Bill Door

The only reason for the Soup mechanic to exist is as a deterrent to early massclaims from town. Making it single use will still stop the massclaims. I think that soup should be limited to the extent that if they use is and don't manage to kill enough people to straight up win the game the should lose the game to the following massclaim. If scum have 3 attempts then they have no real reason not to try and soup, they aren't going to get punished for wasting the ability.

Btw if soup is single use only it should be able to go through any protection.

Also leeroy is awesome and you are no fun.

7. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I agree with Bill about soup being a one time use. Death Eaters should be able to use it once instead of NK during the game or it gets out of hand.

"Sirius Black cannot save himself." - This just made me sad. Unrelated to game mechanics.

"4. Do NOT roleplay. This will give away your role! Also it’s annoying." What if the role play was really brief and nebulous...

I like the 48 hour days and 24 hour nights.

The only thing I didn't see were do roles reveal on lynch\death?

8. fontisian

Look, the problem with having only one soup occurs if only a small number of townies roleclaim. Say three people roleclaim and start giving information to the town. Normally, scum would soup them to balance out the information sharing, but if there's only one soup available then the mafia cannot soup them without getting screwed over by a full massclaim the next Day.

9. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Role playing should be fine if souping is present.

It's the equivalent of role claiming

10. Bill Door

If town are in a position where they can lose at least 3 people for free and still win then they probably deserve to win, and how often are scum going to not be able to guess at least one more role?. I don't see a problem with scum having to make a difficult choice whether or not to soup. It shouldn't be a simple binary action where if someone claims you soup them, adding some complexity and risk to the decision is a good thing.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Failed soup guesses should out the scum that tried it. That and it replacing the nightkill usually serve to counteract the power of soup.

12. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

*looks over*

I think this version of soup is fine.
    Town Priest + Detector
    Town Acolyte
    Town Judge
    Town Vigilante
    Town Watcher
    Town Reviver
    Town Inventor
    Town Thief + random stuff
    Town Pope
    Town Loose Cannon

Mafia Bulletproof + Votethief
    Mafia Demon + Godfather
    Mafia Occultist + Loose Cannon

---

I want to change Mundungus Fletcher. His role is too complex.

The votechanging abilities are unfun and should be removed.

There's probably some broken combo with Snape and the doc abilities that I can't recall right now.

Sirius Black is very powerful.

I would take out Hermonie's second ability and Mad-Eye Moody's second ability. I would prefer the roles to be self-explanatory and have only one part to them.

It looks.. mostly fine, except for Mundungus?

13. Caligula

Caligula First Year

I agree with Prophylaxis. Other than Fletcher everything seems ready to go. This game seems like a lot of fun. You did a great job, Taure.

14. Lyrium

If Fletcher is being replaced, then add Tonks? For the coolness factor.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If Fletcher were removed Ollivander would have to be also.

Also, vote stealing in moderation is awesome. Probably a single vote would be stolen 2-3 times in the game. I don't think that's very broken.

16. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

1. Whether vote shenanigans are "cool" or "abject fuckery" is very much a matter of personal opinion.

As a result, I personally would stay away from it.

2. If the rolled scum players have roleread skills, pain is inbound with a Soup mechanic. If they don't, it's so much window-dressing. If nothing else, it'll add variability to results I suppose?

3. Rebalancing this is liable to be fun if your results skew too hard one way or the other.

4. People who draw Harry and Sirius' roles are going to have to be very careful to not fall into survivalism as a play mindset.

5. Mundungus' role is irritatingly complex and should either be simplified or replaced altogether.

/2cents

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  17. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I was a (scum) vote thief in a game recently, but it was 1-shot and balanced by a town power that could grant votes. I think it can work if players have other abilities so they don't just become a tree stump.

18. Lyrium

It's Taure, so whatever he decides I'm sure it'll be interesting to play.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Should totally be called "Harry Hunting."

20. Lyrium

It would be cool if as long as Harry is alive, the Dark Lord cannot win or at least in the end game HP trumps all others in terms of winning.