1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Heavenly Sword [PS3]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This game has to be one of my favorite releases in the last few months, more so then even Bioshiock (Which, admittedly, I haven't finished).

Firstly, I have to say I am not COMPLETELY done with this game, I am on the final boss and haven't seen the ending video yet. That said, Onwards!

This game is awesome. Anyone who likes the God Of War series will enjoy this game as well. It was, as I am told, made by the same team that made God Of War, and it does behave extremely similar.

The Camera in this is at rare times, cumbersome, but over all is amazingly well done. You rarely have issues, or I didn't at least. When you do have an issue and you lose your character it is not the fault of the camera, but an issue of numbers.

There are around five different chapters of the game where there are more than 500 separate enemies on screen at the same time. Two different parts I can remember (opening portion of the first chapter and the last chapter before the final boss) there are more than one thousand enemies.

What is amazing about this is that every one of them acts individually. Rather than a clump of soldiers responding as a single unit, every one reacts individually and attacks on their own. They take advantage of blind spots and open spots left by your attacking others.

The controls are remarkable similar to God Of War, so anyone who played either of them will almost instantly pick up this game. The movement can be a little odd at times, but nothing that a little practice doesn't do away with.

And Switching between the three sword modes isn't all that difficult at all. Hold L1 and press Square/Triangle in your desired combonation for ranged attack, or hold R1 for Power. IF you hold the controller like me and rest your fingers on the shoulder buttons, then holding them is no chore at all.

The Aftertouch is win. Using the Analog stick is vaguely sluggish and after getting used to it with that, the motion sensor can be overly sensitive by comparison, but its easy to get to used to.

What Aftertouch is, is you fire an arrow with whatever button or throw a sword/table/chair/hat/dead enemy's body and hold the button. After you hold it, time sort of slows down (Al a Bullet Time) and with the Motion Sensor or Analog stick you can direct whatever you threw/shot.

And it isn't just an extra "HAY LETS DU THIS!" feature. In some places its absolutely necessary to solving puzzles. hitting switches hidden behind trees. or gunning down enemy archers hidden behind walls with Kai and her crossbow.

Graphics and Frame rate are BEAUTIFUL! Even with more than a thousand enemy soldiers,, plus two catapults on screen heaving explosive packages, I experienced NO slow down at all.

The dialog can be weak at time, but the story is amazing well done, and very additive.

The largest draw back I can see, outside of being exclusive to an expensive console, is that it is incredibly short. I've barely played for six hours total time, I think, and I'm already at the end boss.

5/5 as far as I am concerned.

Oh, and if you play it, watch out for the /b/ meme for MASSIVE DAMAGE!

EDIT:

I have now offically beaten the game. I am on, perhaps, seven hours of total game play. While short, the game is completely worth playing. The Story, the Characters, the Acting, its all top notch.

Quick note about that: Andy Sekris, who is probably most well known for Gollum's motion acting and voicing, does the voice and motion acting for King Bohan, the main villain, and is also the Dramatic Director, in charge of all motion/voice acting.

Now, I am about to embark on Hell mode for a little while before trying out Warhawk if I can get my PS3 to find my bluetooth headset. >_>

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007