1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Marblegate By Brett Neufeld

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Majube, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Marblegate
    Author: Rocktopus
    Rating: PG
    Genre: Fantasy/Action/Adventure/Dungeons N Dragons
    Fandom: Original Webcomic
    Pairings: n/a
    Summary:
    The story of Marblegate follows a teenage girl named Colleen. She had the unfortunate luck to get the 'Gift' of being a cleric and able to channel healing powers/fixing stuff/light powers and etc, which would hurt at first but with continual practice she's able to improve until there's no danger/pain unless she over-channels it. She joins the church in order to avoid being pressed into any nobles power and then decides to go off and adventure. To Marblegate, a massive ancient dungeon that's been around for a so long that no one quite knows when it first appeared and periodically it shows up for a hundred years and allows adventurers in, then disappears again. In Colleen's time, the dungeon has been around for 75 years.

Anyways, the webcomic focuses on Colleen's dive into the mega dungeon along with her companion Randulf who is a constantly drunk dwarf that's a veteran of diving into Marblegate specifically.

Cons: The art style didn't really grow on me until a bit into it and the update pace of posting on Mondays and Fridays isn't really fast enough to keep up the interest of looking at it weekly. That's a common problem of webcomics though and I respect the dedication of the author and admire the level of detail they put in every page.

It's a bit short so far with a prologue and 6 chapters, but that's 226 pages in and ongoing since 2016 when it started. The plots moved far enough in that I feel it's worth it to post here, oh and the author has said it's inspired by roleplaying games, rougelikes, and western fantasy stories. And those influences are fairly obvious and again the level of detail they put into the pages is quite nice, it sometimes takes me a few glances over to notice small touches.

Link:http://marblegate.webcomic.ws/comics/first/

Trailer:

I really like it so far and it's fairly engrossing, I give it a 4/5.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think this should perhaps be in Original Fiction, but don't quote me on that.

Pretty enjoyable, actually. I've read the whole thing in about two hours; I'm not a massive fan of the art, but it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, just not my personal cup of tea. The writing is more impressive. Colleen is a likeable lead, and I'm warming up to Randulf. Marblegate itself is an interesting concept, and the current backstory chapter is looking intriguing as well - although I'm assuming that the knight is going to turn out to be more of a jerk than he currently appears. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

All that said, while I would read more of it, I think it's more one to bookmark and binge every few months rather than check out each individual update.

4/5

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Needs to get through the Review Board first, as far as I'm aware. It'll get moved there if it gets enough reviews with a high enough rating, same for fanfic.

Majube asked me to have a look at it so I'll be reading/reviewing in a bit anyway I guess. Bumping to remind people to help read/review the older things in For Review so they can be moved out.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

So, this looks awesome and like quality art, but I can't really rate it myself because it's hard for me to read.

The text is too hard for me to see (eyeballs bad) and by the time I zoom in far enough to read easily the text is blurry and I can only see a bit of the picture at a time.

I pushed through the intro and chapter 1, and I like the idea of an adventuring town and an insanely interesting dungeon. Maybe I'll try it again on my phone, when I can get it even closer to my eyes, and see if it's easier to read there. But given the text size relative to the width of the images I'm not sure.

Cheers - anyone else got a review for this?