1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Movies

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Agent, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While there is a thread for Upcoming Movies, I figure we could have one for movies that have been out for a while and wouldn't necessarily require their own thread (Pretty much like the Other TV Shows thread).

Could also be a useful place for if someone is looking for a particular type of movie and others could provide recommendations?

The Truman Show

Watched this for the first time yesterday and I can't believe how much I actually liked it. I felt like one of the viewers in the show, rooting for Truman to discover the truth. I loved Jim Carrey in a role like this and am a bit saddened to see that he's become typcasted to more comedic characters.

Speaking of which, this was advertised as a Comedy but to be honest, I didn't really laugh at all in the movie. To me, it was a drama with perhaps a bit of mystery (If you're looking at it from Truman's POV).

Again, still loved the movie but it just didn't make me laugh.

2. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I never saw it advertised as a comedy, but given Jim Carey's typecast movies in the 1990's it's not surprising that people would think it was. For me, it's always been more of a horror film, though it does have a certain amount of black comedy.

It's legitimately one of my favorite movies. I first watched it when I was young and had a horrible feeling that I might be in a Truman Show-scenario... until I thought about it more, and realized that if I was, the last thing they'd do is show me that movie.

Man, you've made me buy it to watch it now. Thanks a lot.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Michel Vaillant is a French racing movie based on a comic book character (though I didn't know it at the time and never had the impression that I was missing context for lack of source material knowledge). I have no idea how, but a DVD of this found its way into the household DVD collection (was probably included with a magazine or something, I know that was a thing in Poland in the 2000s).

I of course watched the movie with subtitles because it's in French, duh. There's some slick editing in the racing scenes that really sells the sense of speed. Diane Kruger is in it, her last film role before she blew up in Hollywood the next year after appearing in Troy and National Treasure.

This post is supposed to be about the French racing movie, but I also love National Treasure. It's funny, it's silly, it's a greatly entartaining adventure romp, truly the Indiana Jones of the 21st century.