1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pen and Paper RPG

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kaemrynn, May 6, 2013.

1. Kaemrynn

Kaemrynn Fourth Year

Pathfinder, Dungeons and Dragons, Traveler, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Super Heroes and Super Villains, etc.

I'm sure many of you here on DLP have heard of, if not participated in, one or more of these RPGs or off-shoots. Games like this, and many others, were the very backbone of what became the video game industry. However, the player base for this medium has never been particularly large. These games introduced the concept of using your imagination, where one could be an artifact hunter, a dragon slayer, a captain of a spaceship, a merchant, a super hero or even a super villain. One could only be limited simply by their imagination.

These games have always fascinated me and, as such, I began to play them. Over time, the medium has evolved. Instead of using a pencil and some graph paper to play one of these, grid-lined maps with beautiful backgrounds and colorful miniatures have emerged. Virtual table-top programs are used along side VoIP programs for friends in different states or even countries.

But what is the simplest definition of a game like this? You have a group of friends get together. One person leads the game as a moderator of sorts, commonly referred to as the Dungeon Master or the Game Master, depending on the game. They guide the game, often planning and laying out adventures and campaigns. The remaining individuals create characters to role-play.

And then, anything goes. These games were designed to allow just about anything, and if there aren't any explicit rules for or against, make your own! That is the beauty of a "traditional" RPG.

In this thread, I would love to see any conversations about people seeking advice, a group to play with, an RPG to try out, or ideas.

For example, in a day or two, I will begin running a Pathfinder campaign for a group of friends here on DLP. It will be more inclined toward survival and ruin delving, as the majority of the adventure takes place in the scorching Katapesh desert. If I were looking for advice, I could ask about common monsters found in a desert environment and encounter tables to go with it. Or maybe even fleshing out ideas for the campaign. Whatever goes. And I am more than open to running multiple games at a time.

So, in a nutshell, anybody interested in the more "traditional" style of RPGs, post in this thread right here. And let the games begin!

PS: PMs are great for getting my attention, especially if you want specific resources, etc.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter