1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Return of the King Chapter 7-8

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Shouldabeenadog, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Homeward Bound
    The slowly rising dread throuhgout this chapter reaches its zenith with Gandalf departing, leaving the hobbits alone to go into the Shire, just as they left it. Did Tolkien read the Hero's Journey? It feels clear we are at the return stage now. This chapter also seemed to drag, and I was reminded of the movie that seemed to keep going even after it had a good natural end.

The Scouring of the Shire
    I had forgotten much of this, or didn't read it, and so much of this was new to me. I found this whole chapter a fun curbstomp adventure, and it feels earned for all the hard work that they have done and accomplished. I was thinking about several Super!Harry stories and how they basically used the same formula of overconfident baddies mistaking the hero for an easily cowed normal person getting their comeuppance. Here the curbstomp in response feels proud and appealing, in the fanfiction it feels boring.
    Also, fuck saruman, dude is an absolute dick for breaking the hobbits home just because he lost his. Anyone know what happens to his essence when he gets ganked?

Next week is last chapter, Gray Havens, followed by the following week of an overview of everything. Where we also name and mourn all those who we lost along the way.
    @Nazgoose

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Good news! His spirit would be unwelcome to the Valar. He loses his physical form and the vast majority of his power, left doomed to wander Arda as a mean, meager spirit unto End of the world.

3. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Chapter 7: Homeward Bound
    • I love the note about them not being bothered by bandits being no such, since they're so well armed, and them being shocked by it. Good preview to what the reception at the Shire will be
    • Sam finding his pony again is yet another beautiful tiny little ending to something that was set down way back when. I think I'd really like to do a less interrupted readthrough sometime this year or next, while I've enjoyed diving into each chapter like this, I feel like I never quite managed to sink into the story the way I normally do with books
    Chapter 8: The Scouring of the Shire
    • The gatherers and sharers stuff is interesting, very communist. Especially in implementation.
    • A lovely quote worth quoting:
      they really have come oh so very far.
    • Huh. "No hobbit has ever killed another on purpose in the Shire, and it is not to begin now." ... They've never had a murder? This really stretches credulity.
    • Hahahhaha okay this is also worth quoting:
    • "a week's answer, or none" is such a perfect way to put it.
    • The build up of Sam and Rosie's romance is very cute. Wish Faramir and Éowyn had been half as well done.
    • Frodo refusing to kill Saruman robbing his revenge of its sweetness was good, but his taunting of Wormtongue leading to his death anyway was better. Fucker needed killing.
    • As always, very glad he doesn't get to go West.