1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spore?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Has anyone got this? Is it any good?

Perhaps more importantly, is it good enough to be worth buying?

2. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

There really isn't any games that I can think of that are worth 50(standard)-75-100("special edition") dollars, to me at least.

Also, does anyone know what DRM that EA put on this game?

/off topic
    Poor Bioware, with EA as there publisher I guess I will not be buying any more games from them. Which is sad, I enjoyed everything they have produced...

3. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Anyone know if it will be coming out on consoles as my computer is too fucking old to run it?

4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Jamven: EA policy is ever so slowly changing methins they're starting to wise up. Even if they didn't Bioware has the balls to call bullshit and they'd be listened too. Probably.

DRM=? if you mean downloads from what I've heard the disk only supports three.

5. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

With Mass Effect you could only install/activate the game a total of 3 times. Then you'd have to contact EA's support about getting more activations for your code. If I am remembering my games right...

For what it is worth, GameFAQs had a TBA release date for it on the Wii

6. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Downloading it right now (legally, mind you :p)... I'll post a quick review if I can get it working by tonight.

Really, all the reviews I've heard are: It's good, but the phases before the final are just too short (so you'll be spending a lot of your time exploring space... which is fine, I guess).

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Normally, I'm not that interested in gaming, but I read this feature article in last month's IEEE Spectrum, a look behind the scenes of what some consider Will Wright's ultimate game, and found myself intrigued.

I'd be most interested in your review, Chime??.

8. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

I played it, its insanely easy, really fun from the first two hours or so, but after you beat the game (basically getting spaceship level), it becomes boring after everything is said and done.

9. No Earthly Clue

No Earthly Clue Third Year DLP Supporter

Agreed with forsaken, I found the game fun but to damn easy and very fun to look at. But, once you beaten the game there's no real depth, at least to me. I prefer playing with the SPORE's creature creator more.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Most of the reviews I've read consider the Space game the real game, and all other parts merely a prologue building up to space.

And surely there are different difficulty levels?

11. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I haven't got the full game but the demo is great fun to play with.

12. No Earthly Clue

No Earthly Clue Third Year DLP Supporter

I haven't found anything that corelates into changing the actually difficulty setting.

The space level is the best thing about the game, along with the graphics. But, it's at least a rent and a great way to waste time. Not sure I would have wanted to spend full price on it, though.

13. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I agree with Forsaken and No Clue. The mechanics are rather simple, you could maybe play it twice through (as a carnivore/agressor and as a herbivore/socialite). Then it is reduced to doing the same thing over and over again, with the only difference being the creature you play with.

I don't think it'll bind me for long, but we'll see. I don't think it'll be worth the monies though.

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Since my computer's been having trouble (and I've had a lot of distracting problems come up within the last few hours), I only got to play for 45 minutes...

But I go past the cell stage and onto land for a little bit, so here are my thoughts:

Cell Stage:

Pac man meets... The Sims, I guess. You can be an herb/carni/omnivore (though being an omnivore is a little though...). Floating through the ooze is a little odd at first since your creature is a little clunky (and many enemy cells are agile). I died a few times despite setting the difficulty to easy (I knew I didn't have much time to play), but there's no penalty for dying, so it's OK.

The objective is to kill stuff (carnivore) or to forage (herbivore). You have to decide between speed and power, since you won't get enough points to build a speedy acid-spititng electricity-spewing mammoth-cell.

Creature Stage:

When you get on land, it's essentially the same thing, though the combat is more pleasant (I admit it's hard to kill some of the cuter creatures though...). Social "interaction" is a little weird getting used to I guess, but the learning curve doesn't feel bad.

So far, the game is good. Not extrordinary, which is dissapointing, but when something is hyped for as long as Spore has been, it can never be anything but.

If you pirate most of your games, going so far as to even pirate difficult to pirate games like TF2 (I say it's difficult because you can't play on most servers, have to find your own private servers...) etc., then I doubt you'll be interested in shelling out monies for this game. I personally reccomend it so far, but I can't give any forecast as to how long this game will hold my attention.

But the different creators hold potential, and if Spore can be modded, or if there are expansions planned or something, I suppose it could have a lengthly lifespan.

I'll post more as I get a chance to play s'mmore.

15. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I haven't played very long but I started on hard and it hasn't been anything but remotely difficult starting new. I am sure second time around that the hard difficulty will seem like childs play though. I think will Wright was right when he described the game as less of a game and more of a toy. My favorite part right now is discovering a new location and spotting the incredibly odd creatures others have thought up. only generating maxis creatures because you are not able to register would probably kill much excitement.

I can understand however, that the game may get old, which is why I hope that EA Games will be releasing expansions worth the money to add even more hours onto the gameplay.

I am the most excited for space, but have yet to play long enough to reach. Of course, my idea of enjoyment and gaming is probably the opposite of most of yours.(I play sims 2 when I am bored..... and enjoy it.)

Seeing my own creatue the size of a four story building and titled "Epic Bannanna Pancake" was enough to amuse me for a few minutes alone.

16. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

If you want to have a challenge, try killing one of the epic creatures in the creature stage (if you do it after that stage, you don't get the title "epic killer").

I agree that it is not your usual game and it is not very hard, but I'm having a fun time collecting parts and designing my creature. Luckily I had no problems registering and logging in, so I have all the creatures of the other players available.

DRM is the same bullshit as in Mass Effect IMHO.

It's a fun game/toy but I wouldn't recommend buying it yet. It's better to wait two or three weeks until the first patches are out, as the game is incredibly buggy for many players. And EA being EA, you don't have much in the way of support. Some things are fixed (as usual) by the users but there are still some problems which make it unplayable for many (freezing while loading tribal stage, freezing when opening outfitter etc.).
    I hope that future patches fix the balancing too and am sure they will release some mods and expansions.

17. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

My question is this. Will I be able to make something like the creature from the movie The Thing?

18. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

Not the creature but something like it, yes.
    There are restrictions as to what you can make - it has to have legs to move (but you can make them so small that you can't see them), there is no fur you can give it, only colours and textures, it can't be too complex (no 100 eyes or two dozen legs).
    Also, you sadly don't have an option to design a real face, as in details of bone structure, facial hair, small adjustments in the features. I hope that this will be added some day.

All in all it's easier and has much less options than we were promised. (Don't know about Space Stage yet.) I'd compare it to "The Movies" - Not challenging or detailed missions and no real story, but fun if you like designing and exploring.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Sounds like promises and promises and Wright pulled a Molyneux. Im going to fire it up for a few minutes and try it out now.

I am vastly underwhelmed. Right not it's basically a rip off of Seventh Cross : Evolution.

Start as a bacteria, eat shit, mix parts, etc. The way they talked about it was there was going to be in depth stuff. I'm fucking eating, or dancing to get through the game. Not impressed. Hopefully that'll change

Silly rabbit, double posting is only for noobs!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  20. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Agreed. It's a lot of fun at first, but there's only so many things a game can do.

It suffers from I WANT TO BE EVERYTHING syndrome. Mediocre at all trades, good at none.

The RTS components fail HARD. The creator is amusing, but not enough to sustain a game. And the combat is boring as fuck. The "social" system is hardly innovative.

I'm still in civilization stage, but still, this shit is getting frustrating (my guys can't walk up hills... wtf...) and pretty damn boring.

Thankfully I just have a crack, and didn't buy the game :D