1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit, Chapter 8

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Shouldabeenadog, May 13, 2024.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Chapter 8: Flies and Spiders
    and now we come to Cambell's turn, and Bilbo goes from "(Bombur) Timmy fell down the well!" to survival horror protagonist to spider city builder antagonist. Just a great chapter overall that again, boggles my fucking mind at how much he can cram into a chapter and yet still have it feel like it meanders. I think his success is his lack of buildup. There isn't a long while where bilbo builds himself up to being the hero, instead he's thrust into it suddenly, and violently. Boom, spider-killer.
    I also really really like the elvish magic here. One side they are present, the next absent. There is no explanation or excuse, just boom, elves can magic like that. Too many times i feel like magic is just physics but with bad rules. Like the magic in D&D- its formulaic, and scientific. You put 1 spell slot to fireball, and you get out 1 fireball, every time. This feels more like magic- it laughs are your scientific method, and input and output are not just uncorrelated, but spite you.