1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Time Meant Nothing, Never Would Again by Monopoly - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Bratling, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Bratling

Bratling Professor

Title: Time Meant Nothing, Never Would Again
    Author: Monopoly
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor, Time Travel
    DLP Category: Humor
    Pairing: None
    Summary: It's what should've been Harry's 7th year, and the Light side has no hope left. Luckily, Snape is around to save the day. Time travel, ceases to follow canon after HBP. Crazy Snape, smart little kid Harry, sentient wards. Lots of fun awaits inside.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3925926/1/Time_Meant_Nothing_Never_Would_Again

Monopoly's humor fics tend to be a little out in left field. That having been said, I've been enjoying this one. Insanity seems to agree with Severus in this story. Too many knocks on the head has him acting just a few tacos short of a combination plate. It's well written, fluffy, light, and funny. The addition of not-all-there sentient wards is also a nice touch. While it is a bit short at the moment, the author always updates fairly quickly.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Well, I'll wait for some reviews, for I'm not inclined to read SS/HP story... most of them are either slash or totally AU, to the point of leaving the potterverse...

3. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I've never really had much against Snape. Only that some authors tend to glorify him a bit... here that's no problem though. Snape is amusing here.

However good the writing is (it's pretty good), there are four chapters and the whole thing is a little under 15k words. Which is a great start to a story, only, it took a whole month (closer to two) to get this far.

I don't see this going anywhere in the near future.

4. claypigeon

claypigeon First Year

I don't really care for Snape but if an author can write him well and in a believable fashion I'm willing to read.

That said I wasn't really all that impressed with this fic. Being humor/parody I simply read it hoping it would make me laugh. There were a few parts that caused a grin but to me the fic seemed to try and force it's humor on to many occasions.

It appeared that the author had an idea for a plot which might have worked for a one-shot but doesn't have enough to turn into an actual story. Add to that fact the characters are so ooc that you can no longer jusify calling them a part of Harry Potter and the fic loses a lot of it's ability to be funny.

2/5 I chuckled some but mostly went 'meh'

5. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

The writing is decent for a parody and I chuckled a few times. Claypigeon is right, though: the humor sometimes seems forced.

The biggest problem with this story is in my opinion that it is only under 5000 words. (not 15k, Chime) The author has written an average of 700-800 words a week, so we probably have to come back in two years to find a fic with a decent length.
    Another problem is that I don't see this kind of writing keeping a reader entertained for more than a few chapters.
    It probably would have been better to write a oneshot of about 15-20k words and be done with it.

Don't really know what to give it because it's so short, but I'll give it a 3/5 for potential...

6. D.S.

D.S. First Year

The land of the homicidal ducks, New York.
    I actually thought the story in general was pretty funny and McGonagall's reaction (and the tea biscuits) to it all in the latest chapter was quite amusing. I agree though, Snape is a few fries short of a Happy Meal in this and that makes it all the better for me. I don't like Snape usually and to see this makes me laugh.

3/5

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  7. Bratling

Bratling Professor

What really made me laugh in this is Snape's description of the Houses and the fact that he's determined to raise Harry to be a Hufflepuff...

8. D.S.

D.S. First Year

The land of the homicidal ducks, New York.
    Yeah, that too. I mean, the building up to it was great.

9. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This reads like a poor man's Rorshach's Blot.

Now imagine 4 chapters of that.

1 star, because I can't give it 0.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Not badly written, but there's absolutely zero interest value.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

The story is a mess. But so far, it manages to outrun all the crap its laying about. Readable, but probably not for long.