PDA

View Full Version : Basic ruleset for games

KaiDASH
04-24-2012, 11:04 AM
There's been some discussion in the currently ongoing WH game with regard to rules and expectations, so I thought it'd be good if we could agree on a base set of rules that everyone knows is always in effect (unless explicitly said to not apply by the game moderator)

Only living players may post in the game thread
You may not post in the game thread during the night phase
You may not edit or delete posts from the game thread or in any QuickTopics you may be posting in
You may not privately communicate with anyone except the game moderator unless you're specifically allowed to do so (i.e. the QuickTopics for Witches or Angels). This includes using systems outside the scope of the game to communicate something game related (i.e. Thumbs-Up'ing a post).

Any others? I want this to be able to apply to like 99% of all games, such that the game mod can just go

Ok, base rules apply plus x,y,z specific to my game.

Isn't this just a list of generally accepted rules or assumed etiquette? Why is this necessary when everyone already knows this?

Assumed etiquette is only functional when everybody is aware of it. The entire concept breaks down if somebody does not know the assumed etiquette.

The entire point of this is to ensure that everybody knows the rules, because having a largely unspoken assumed etiquette is not good enough.

Ash
04-24-2012, 11:09 AM
"You may edit or delete posts from the game thread or in any QuickTopics you may be posting in"

should have a not in it.

Zircon
You may edit or delete posts from the game thread or in any QuickTopics you may be posting in

You mean may not?

KaiDASH
it does now :D

Sesc
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Eh, that entire editing business ... editing something into a personal qt should be fine, and I'd also like if adding stuff into posts in the thread was allowed. To be completely honest, the automerged posts give me spastic twitches every time I encounter them.

It's entirely possible to see what was edited in a post, for mods. So it's not like anyone can get away with bullshit edits (see: StrikerLee).

The rest: fine with me, and pretty self-explanatory.

Ash
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
We don't always have a mod playing a game, though, Sesc, nor would you guys necessarily check every edit. I do think that edits in personal QTs should be allowed.

KaiDASH
04-24-2012, 11:59 PM
It's easier and more concise to not differ in rules between 'personal QTs' (where editing is ok) and 'shared QTs' (where editing is not ok).

iLost
04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
I know I did this myself in my last game. Made a post after I was shot, when we were told not to. So, if someone does it without intention, should they just go back and edit it, deleting it in the process, or leave it up? I just ended up deleting my post.

Aekiel
04-25-2012, 09:41 AM
No edits whatsoever. If you post after the deadline because it ticked over while you were typing then it should stay. If you purposefully post after deadline, modkill.

Lungs
04-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Did this really need a thread? I thought this was assumed-etiquette or whatever, on penalty of modkill, etc.

Ash
04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Clearly some people don't have common sense...

Bill Door
04-25-2012, 12:59 PM
It's best to have it stated clearly for any new players, and so no one can use the excuse of "I didn't know".

KaiDASH
04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Did this really need a thread? I thought this was assumed-etiquette or whatever, on penalty of modkill, etc.

:facepalm

The entire point is that the concept of 'assumed-etiquette' breaks down when you get new players.

How can a new player know what the 'assumed-etiquette' is if nobody tells them?

iLost
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't think it's ignorance, just lack of absorbing the information. Most of this is listed in the wall-o-text at the beginning of each game and gets lost as new players read through all of it.

Point in case my fuck-up in my last game. I read it, but forgot til' Aekiel reminded me. If there was a general thread separate from the wall-o-text, then it might sink in easier for new players.

Least, those are my thoughts as I was, and consider myself, a new player. There's a lot to take in and I think some of the veterans, who have four or five games under their belt, forget. I'm not trying to insult the games or anything, because I had a blast playing, but the complexity is pretty steep. One or two things is bound to slip someone's mind while trying to remember the roles, the phases, keeping track of whose lying, whose not, whose scum, and what have you.

Ash
04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Question. Should it really be against the rules to thumbs up a post if you are alive and in the game? I understand it being a big fat no if you're dead, but it being against the rules when you're alive seems a bit much.

jwlk
04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
It's not against the rules, no.

KaiDASH
04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Question. Should it really be against the rules to thumbs up a post if you are alive and in the game? I understand it being a big fat no if you're dead, but it being against the rules when you're alive seems a bit much.

Some people had issues with lurkers like Lutris and lungs (I think it was lungs? it was definitely lutris though) thumbs uping posts without making a post of their own.

edit: Also, for avoidance of doubt, none of these rules apply in games where they're not explicitly stated to be in play.

Kalas
04-30-2012, 06:42 PM
No ones saying it should replace posting requirements but it is more concise then posting "I agree."

KaiDASH
04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Personally, I don't care about that one, but I think that if anyone has a real problem with such a thing happening then that's enough to at least seriously consider it.

Ash
04-30-2012, 06:53 PM
I just think you should tweak the ruleset to say that thumbs upping is allowed when the thumbs upper is alive in the game. Unless someone can come in here and say that they have a big problem with it for x reason. I mean, it's not a huge loss if we can't thumbs up, I guess.

Kalas
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I could see it being abused if there's an Angel mechanic.. say thumbs upping something further back in the thread to bring attention to it. Besides that its just a way to show quick agreement.

Aekiel
05-01-2012, 02:23 AM
But those Angels would be dead, thus violating the rule in the first place.

KaiDASH
05-01-2012, 02:25 AM
the problem aekiel is that right now there is no rule in the first place

jwlk
05-01-2012, 02:47 AM
I thought that there was a generally set aside rule that everyone knew, no communicating with people you can't communicate with inside the game. Apparently that is not the case, so I support this universal rule list, and should probably be c/p'd into every game from now on.

KaiDASH
05-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Updated the OP, since that (@jwlk) seems to be the most common issue with this.

Zeitgeist
05-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Initially, my stance to the thumbs-up rule was "laissez-faire", but now that I've time to think about it, I full-heartedly support KaiDASH's proposal. A blanket ban on thumbs up for all games should be implemented.