1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge 6 by Lord Apophis

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Lord Apophis, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

Slytherin!Harry Challenge

There are many many fics out there when Harry wakes up after OotP and discover his "Slytherin" side but all he does is to ignore everyone and train on his own.

The challenge can take place at any point during the series but Harry will discover his Slytherin side but he will then acually act like a Slytherin. Keep to the shadows, not show how skilled he trully is, not say no to training by skilled wizards and witches just because they follow Dumbledore. Hide his true feelings for the Order and Dumbledore as he can still learn from them without trusting them or even liking them.

He also cant turn the DA into his personal army as that just cant be kept secret. It would be ok to have a few people loyal to him but they must swear
    magical oaths or something similar to ensure their loyalty.

It can be Dark!Harry or Dark but Lightside!Harry or even just Light!Harry

2. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Gah! You people keep stealing my ideas! Get out of my mind!

*grabs head by temples and bashes it onto the desk*

Anyways, this is a good challenge, and I would love to see it done. (or do it myself...) I was planning on doing a Post-CoS story where Harry can't save Ginny, but kills Tom and the Basilisk, and vows to become stronger. Then, I would skip to seventh year, and show just how much Harry has changed. The trio will have slowly drifted apart because of their varied interests, and Harry as a ton of "acquaintances" instead of just two friends.

Basically, instead of lounging around the whole time since second year, Harry will have gotten his ass in gear and spent time in the library, becoming a better wizard. He will have taken some useful elective courses and bettered himself as a wizard in general. When it comes to taking down Voldemort, this Harry will have a slightly better chance.

Tell me what you think!

3. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I love the idea. I think that Harry, Ron and Hermione should still be friends just not best friends, they can be a bit closer to harry then his various acquaintances.

4. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Yeah, If in this Harry really is a Slytherin then he would probably have Hermiones approval as she sees him study. You could go either way on how the trio began to drift away. There is the always common theme that the Weasleys blame harry for not saving Ginny or It could be something else.

Good Idea about actually using the Slytherin side, it sounds like it could spawn a great fic.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You already have several such stories, Yarrgh's main fic being one of them.

6. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

I think fuegodefuerzo has a pretty good idea there, I particularly like the whole 'change one minor thing in the past and it leads to an entirely different future' theme, that it's based on.

Just a couple of questions, in your plan where you literally going to skip five years or were you thinking of doing a short paragraph-long summary to show the changes that occur each year? And will it only be Ginny's death that changes from canon or are you going to change a few things, like cedric/sirius dieing, or even how they died?

And also, how are you going to explain harry's dedication to destroying voldemort at this point in time, aside from ginny's death. At this point, Voldemort hasn't been reserected yet, harry doesn't know about the prophesy and he doesn't even know about voldemort's plans to get reserected from pettigrews help (Trawlany's prediction at the end of POA.). How does your fanon harry not know that the events from PS/SS and COA were not just one-offs, and even if he knew they weren't, what's influencing him to take responsibility for foiling any of voldemorts future attacks?

But overall, definitely a good idea for a fic.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Of course, I was talking about the challenge, not Fuegodefuerza's idea, which is quite solid, especially if it skips to 7th year.

8. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Yes. I was planning on doing one chapter full of cameos, sort of in the same style as Ruskbyte's Evil Be Thou My Good. But now that I think about it, I think that it would work better to do maybe a few events of each year per chapter, maybe two years per chapter, because then I would have plentiful time to build up to the confrontations and really exemplify Harry's change. But, I do think that as the years go by, the change between my Harry and the canon Harry will become much more drastic, until, once I get to the seventh year of the story, he's practically an OC. Well...maybe not that extreme.

No, Harry will not originally be dedicated to defeating Voldemort, he will just vow to become stronger because he will think that he wasn't strong enough to save Ginny, and he plans to fix that by becoming the best wizard that he possibly can. After Voldemort's resurrection, he will start to focus more on Battle/Dark Magics to become a better dueler, but in the beginning he'll just want to become a better all-around wizard.

EDIT: Also, I'm not going to begin writing this 'til October. With school and football starting soon, as well as the fact that I'm writing an entry for the Horcrux Challenge, I don't think that I'm going to have any time to write until then. However, I am going to be making an outline for this story from now until then, so any ideas/plot holes/suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006